News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Wolf Point Pics
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 10:32:08 AM »
There is no other course that has come to our attention on GCA.com in the last two years, that I want to see more.  Maybe the Prairie Club will come through in this category.  But, from all these photos and Mike's keeping us informed of the progress of the project on his blog for some 3 years, it is a most special project.  It seems if Mike can now carry forward his quality process and this approach to other public or private CC projects, he will receive the more wide acclaim he deserves.  The team was a very special group who have all the right inclinations and sensibilities to really build quality in.

I'm sure we will not get to know the budget of Wolf Point.  But, if it is in the realm of the construction costs and design fees of the new Colorado course that is also being discussed currently on GCA.com, and given that this is what Mike and team created on relatively unremarkable land, well haveing them do some more is a no-brainer decision.  One only has to look at the pictures to see the quality and creativity attention to details, built-in.  Yes, one must ultimately play a course (multiple times in my view) to make ultimate declarations about the enduring qualities of the golf course as a field of play.  Yet, one can glean alot about the quality of the project as a construction proposition from as many architecture oriented feature photos that we have been offered here. 

Just a great effort, Mike and team.  You guys are good! 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »
Mike, Don, Steve and Ms Sheila, and all our GCA family, good luck!!!! 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »
Thanks RJ for your thoughts.
Our client has made arrangements to play tomorrow too....

Sean,
Those are extraordinarily nice sentences and put a huge smile on my face...
Out TOC TOC...
It is way more fun in person than the pictures - even in the heat of the day - Gulf Coast Day that is...

Martin,
You remember me when I couldn't get the smile off my face after visiting TOC.
Thank you.

Kyle,
There is no practice facility - short game - range or otherwise.
That green complex which will be right below the main clubhouse is meant to be a playground - aside from two very interesting complexes.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Steve Lang

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
 8)

Mike, Don,

Please,.. some pics after/during the rains..  if you can do it safely 8) 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carl Nichols

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2008, 10:14:08 PM »
This looks terrific.  Good luck with the hurricane and stay safe!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »
If you can't tell by now - I enjoy showing off our work.
I'm 40 as of today - with age comes wisdom - you can't check my profile anymore... but I wanted to share that and some pics.
I've got a small party going on there this week - hopefully you'll hear more.
Cheers

The 16th green
The 1st green
The 4th green
???
The 5th & 6th greens
The 12ths false front

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »
There is no way that course is in Texas! Looks great, enjoy.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

Happy Birthday young fella!   

You guys should have a big party going on to celebrate a fantastic looking golf course.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 10:58:01 AM »
There is no way that course is in Texas! Looks great, enjoy.

I've never been to Austrailia, but some of the images look like images of Austrailian courses I've seen.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful course. Don't be shy about showing off your work, it's what this whole board is about! I look forward to seeing even more.

Charlie

P.S. A happy birthday to you as well.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kirk

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
Look at you, all dressed up pretty!

That looks great, Mike.  Happy birthday.  I turn 50 on Saturday, so we're almost exactly 10 years apart.

The good news between age 40 and 50?  Generally more content, less mental anguish.
The bad news?  A distinct falloff in, ahem, performance.
The verdict (tilts head back and forth)...it's OK!  Look forward to further increases in wisdom!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 01:06:26 PM »
Mike,

From the pics, it looks like Wolf Point is an absolute work of art.

The aesthetics can be matched by few inland courses I have ever seen. I absolutely love the undulations and perceived naturalism (not sure how much dirt you had to move). I am usually not a huge fan of trees, but those in the pics add an element of regional authenticity and character, while not detracting from the expansive views.

Tip top indeed! Hope you enjoyed a couple pints to celebrate a great start to year 4,0.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
Amazing work Mike! I know its hard to rates ones own work, yet where would you place it on say, the Doak scale.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2008, 12:28:44 AM »
I forgot to reply...
So i might as well add a few more below....

Matthew - an easy 11.
I'd drive 108 miles to play at the drop of a hat even if it wasn't my work.
And I think there are a lot of original elements out there.
The playability is fantastic.
I've only played all 18 a handful of times - and it keeps getting better.

Rob,
Thank you.
I did have several pints at the course too and even caught some Ray Lamontagne - who is fantastic live.

John,
I hope you had a great 50th.
I like more wisdom - I should be enlightened soon enough.  :)
Cheers

Charlie,
Australia - nice - I hope to compare in person one day.
I will say that the contours of Durban sure looked cool.

Craig,
We did and we are going to have an even bigger party soon.

Mike,
Aw shucks.
Thank you.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 12:34:28 AM »
Mike:

Quick question -- you gave the layout an eleven (11) on the Doak scale.

Is that because of the location and what calls itself stellar golf in that area of Texas -- or

are you saying it's an eleven (11) no matter what other courses are thrown into the picture that you have played.

One further question -- what courses have you played that are ten (10) d you see Wolf Point being ahead of overall?

T h a n k s   !

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »
Matt,
The 11 was a joke.   :P

It will take a while for me to give a number.
The more I see it the more original I think it is and the more I like playing.
It still gets better and better every visit.
It is about to get even a little better on my next trip and over the winter.
If Don were to stay there for 10 years we'd still be refining - not changing any dirt - but working on the native areas, plantings, trees, ditches, clearing....

Matt I'm certain you would enjoy it a great deal, and you'd be the last person I'd expect to.
I'll be talking about the playability soon - with a few recent visitors.

Cheers

P.S.
Thank you for reading so closely and for considering that I might have been for real - you must like what you see so far.

P.P.S.
Comparing Wolf Point to other Texas courses wouldn't be fair ... to the others...  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:46:31 AM by Mike Nuzzo »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:44 AM »
Mike:

What course(s) were your inspiration as Wolf Point was being planned. Were certain design elements central to your thinking or was your desire really to go in a totally different direction ?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
The Old Course was my inspiration.  Except when we started I hadn't been there yet.

The Gulf Coast has minimal elevation changes.
So I first visited the flattest best courses I knew - Seminole & Talking Stick North.

I thought Seminole had no interest in the flat basin - so except for the angles of the 16th it wasn't much "help" - just great to see.
Talking Stick North - wasn't really "flat" and the flattest hole #3 was something I'd never do for playability, asthetics and we get 50 in. of rain a year.

I did visit the Old Course shortly afterwards - and specifically I brought back - or was inspired for one shot (the 2nd to ninth) and I fell in love with the greens - although nothing copied there.

There are some influences from NGLA and a few other angles from Royal Sydney and Royal County Down and even Mustang Creek???  I guess a tiny bit here an there - sometimes if I had an idea for a hole I'd find a picture afterwards to help explain.

The difference was designing around our client and not trying to please ANYBODY else --- at least not where it would compete with our clients desires.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:15:53 AM by Mike Nuzzo »

Sean_A

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »
The Old Course was my inspiration.  Except when we started I hadn't been there yet.

The Gulf Coast has minimal elevation changes.
So I first visited the flattest best courses I knew - Seminole & Talking Stick North.

I thought Seminole had no interest in the flat basin - so except for the angles of the 16th it wasn't much "help" - just great to see.
Talking Stick North - wasn't really "flat" and the flattest hole #3 was something I'd never do for playability, asthetics and we get 50 in. of rain a year.

I did visit the Old Course shortly afterwards - and specifically I brought back - or was inspired for one shot (the 2nd to ninth) and I fell in love with the greens - although nothing copied there.

There are some influences from NGLA and a few other angles from Royal Sydney and Royal County Down and even Mustang Creek???  I guess a tiny bit here an there - sometimes if I had an idea for a hole I'd find a picture afterwards to help explain.

The difference was designing around our client and not trying to please ANYBODY else --- at least not where it would compete with our clients desires.

Mike

I am telling you, your course reminds me the most of Princes.  You must go have a look one day.  I am sure you will experience some deja vu.

BTW Tell yer boss he needs to open his course up to goofs like me.  Imagine the money he can collect for his favourite charity.

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JMorgan

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
Mike,
Looking good :o.
JM

Will E

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
Matt
As a guy who has played Wolf Point and actually is one of the few guys on this site that usually agrees with you, I can say for sure that you will love Wolf Point.
It reminds me a lot of Kingsley Club, mainly for the attention to detail and incredibly interesting  green complexes.
If you're lucky enough to see it, stop whatever you're doing and get there.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
Mike,
Forgive me if this question has been answered but I was told this course will be strictly for the owner and his guest's. Is this true ?

Great pics by the way..... Interesting green contures from what I can see in the photos....

Brad

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »
Lots of short grass out there--good for the Fairways hit stats!

It looks really fascinating.  The routing seems to lend itself to all sorts of holes, in addition to the 18 laid out.  Have people played HORSE out there in the same way people apparently do at the Sheep Ranch?  It looks perfect for it.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »
Sean,
I know nothing of Princes - except the picture that is on their site - and if their entire property looks like that - thank you very much.  Why don't I know more about this course?

Tim,
Just this week inbetween some rains - we played the par 3 loop - 8 - 5 - 6 with 7 as a finisher.
It is right in front of the beers and perfect for a twilight beer round.  The back tee for 9 makes a perfect par 3 tee for #5 - Jacob our shaper found that one.

Brad,
esyay

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »
How I ache to play on such articulate ground contours. They're so depressingly hard to find (at least in California)!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
I haven't been down much this past year.
I would like to share some new pictures:
A putt on the 8th.
A rare spot on 11.
The 5th green.
Walk up 18.
17 green.
Go Yankees!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back