News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: Wolf Point Pics
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
It's probably a bit presumptuous on my part to suggest a venue for the 2010 Dixie Cup...

Seeing the course that you've discussed so passionately come to life is priceless.  Congratulations on what appears to be a job well-done!  How is the owner feeling about the outcome of the project, if you don't mind my asking?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
Mike-

On your website, you briefly mention the hiring of a shaper who had no previous golf course experience.  What features did you allow this person to work on, and what marching orders was this person given?

As a GC Supt, hiring people who have no experience on a golf course has its positives and negatives.  But, it has always fascinated me how you can always find that individual who is clueless but produces something that is genius.

Scott

Scott,
No one on the job was clueless. Everyone had talent in one way or another and the key was matching their tasks to their talents. Even the operators that didn’t want to be there cleared the golf course corridors quickly and at much less cost than a golf contractor would charge (we did get a bid with unit costs from a contractor)
One guy was particularly talented when motivated. Most likely the best equipment operator I've seen, he also had a creative streak that you could get out of him if and only if you left him completely alone for a few days. Whenever he was given too much direction he would get unsure and then worked up. These oil field guys are use to working on a site for days at a time with no one else around, they march to their own beat and it was mostly a matter of seeing what they built and then deciding who to keep around. What we didn't like we used Joe and Jacob to clean up once they were on site. All the sand plating and finishing, including the greens, was completed by the men and women who now care for the course. It takes a lot of people to transform a cow pasture into a fine golf course and Mike and I owe a debt to all them for putting up with us.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »
Tim,
Yes, unfortunately this won't be a site for the Dixie Cup.
Maybe one day.

Our client loves the course.  He plays the 9 open holes almost every day.
He also loves Don.
On two separate occasions he told me that he couldn't have been happier that I brought Don to the project - I've been in the catbirds seat ever since.

He would have been happy with a very nice course.  Our goal was to make it really special without costing more.  Fortunately it doesn't cost more to make a special course than it does to make a good course.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing more pics. The course looks better & better.  I love the photo of four green and the tee shot on six looks awesome.

Is the dog in training for forecaddie duty or just a key member of the staff?

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
Mike

Thanks for posting more pix.  I really like the low level movement of the course.  It reminds me of a good jazz drummer.  He gets a chance to dance once in a while, but he mainly rumbles in the background.

I said it before, but this place reminds me of an American Princes.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »
You're welcome and thank you John.
The dogs have full membership and are learning the course.
When all 18 open up there will be no backtracking - but as we curretnly play in 2 separate blocks of holes - they have learned where to not back track.  So they would make great forecaddies.

Sean,
What is an American Princess as it relates to golf?
Is there another one?
I love the jazz drummer concept - and here I think he may be a star too.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Mike, Sean -

that would be Jo Jones, the man who played like the wind. (Sean - very nice image; Mike, once again, congratulations).

Here's a quote from Nat Hentoff about the former Basie drummer:

"One night, at Storyville in Boston, I saw Jo Jones leave the stand and his drums, and with his hands as his only instrument he moved around the room, playing with his fingers or the palms of his hands or his knuckles, conjuring up melodies, rhythms, cross-rhythms, from tables, chairs, walls, from the air itself....expanding and deepening jazz time, drawing us into his vortex for almost an hour. Off the stand, Jo Jones was just as unremittingly intense. To him jazz was religion. It was, he said, a God-given privilege to be able to play what you feel and to reach people because music, being the medium it is, can affect you all your life–the musician and the listener."

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »
Sean,
What is an American Princess as it relates to golf?
Is there another one?
I love the jazz drummer concept - and here I think he may be a star too.

Mike

Peter is half right.  I was thinking of Princes - Kent.  However, the style of JJ fits what I am talking about. 

Peter

Nobody could accuse JJ of being a boom- tapper eh ( I added the eh to ease on yer Canucklish).

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Curry

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
Mike and Don,

The course and the turf look remarkable.

Can't wait to get down there.

Best,
Steve

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »
Enjoy the last major of '08 and get the kids ready for school.
Some recent pictures.

On the blog I am finishing up the evolution of the routing this week.
Cheers

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »

Wow!  Absolutely stunning!  The place looks amazing, congrats to Mike and Don for what they have created.

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
Damn, I gotta get down there. #1 on my realistic wish list (I don't think anything will replace Barnbougle on the unrealistic one until I finally get there...)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Sherer

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
Don / Mike:

On this panel we are always searching for something new and different;  something that has the feel of originality. Originality is the element that draws us to the designs of Doak, Hanse, et al. - and that is the element you have captured at Wolf Point. You have created something that feels fresh and original. Congratulations!
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Michael Blake

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »
I can't wait to see it.  Looks like a whole lotta fun to play.

Impressed by your picture-taking ability as well.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »
Thank you very, very much for the comments.
The course is more fun to play than it looks too.
All 18 will be open by the end of this month.
Some more bunkers to work on - Don really has everything moving along great.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »

Mike,

Now your just being mean.  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »
Mike - it's nice to see how proud you are of your course, and justifiably so. I've posted a couple of times already on this thread complimenting you and Don, and probably with the same kind of praise both times. I'll say it again, not because I think it's such a special point but because, for me and my tastes and level of understanding about golf course architecture, it seems the most important point and highest compliment, i.e. having been to Texas and driven through a big chunk of it, THIS is what a golf course in Texas should look like.

Peter  

Sean_A

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2008, 12:30:27 PM »
Jeepers!  Thats good stuff.  Can I have a piece?

Ciao

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
Please indulge my latest images.
Another 18 holes last week.
Don and I played 9 in the afternoon - he is still very hard at work as you can see from the below images.

The first picture of the shortest par 4 - 290 yards or so shows what you must contend with when playing away from the lake.
The 2nd and 6th images are the double green - the 8th plays from the left and the 18th plays into the camera from the fairway in the distance.
The 3rd is a cool front pin to #7.
The 4th image is of the approach to the 16th - if you take on the creek with your tee shot.
The 5th image is an innocent picture of the 12th green - which plays about 140 yards from the tee.

Cheers

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »
That double green and the surround looks fantastic.  I can imagine sitting there for hours just playing different shots - especially with as firm as I'm sure it will be playing.  Those are some more great pictures Mike...thanks for posting.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »
I just hope she still looks and plays as good a week from now. Ike has us in his cross hairs and I suppose we'll soon learn how solidly we built her.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
I hope everyone stays safe.

But if you do catch a little wind it might be a good time to take down those two trees you suggested over a year ago to take out but I said lets wait to be sure which ones ... the same ones we have been instructed not to take out ....  :P

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Mike and Don,

From the previous posts I will guess that Don is still in PL?

You guys stay safe down there if that is the case.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
Mike, Don, Joe and the rest of the Posse,
gorgeous, just gorgeous.
I can really see TOC in there, Mike. Time well spent. Nice one!

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 03:57:08 AM »
Holy Mackerel!  That double green out TOC's TOC.  I am tremendously impressed with project Mike.  The slight elevation changes in the land look to be ideal for golf.  I wanna play this course!

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back