News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

What helps separate golf from other sports!
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
This was always one of my favorite golf articles.  Thought I would share it for those who missed it or might not have read it for some time.  It is over a decade old and was published by Golf Digest. 

In Celebration of Tradition

Golf is the most traditional of games.  It respects the past.  It reveres its own legends.  It is handed down from one generation to the next by word of mouth, by example of its players – and, most important, by the lay of the land.
Golf courses at their best harken back to the origins of the game.  Our playing fields celebrate tradition.  The great ones endure the test of time, even give something back to the game.
What is this thing we call tradition?
First, you should know what it is not.  Tradition is not “old money.”  The game came from the villages of Scotland where Everyman could play and no one was excluded.
It is not merely old age.  Age alone is no more a prescription for tradition than it is for wisdom.
It is not big clubhouses and bigger locker rooms. It is not valet parkers dressed in kilts or a bagpiper drowning out conversation during the cocktail hour.  It is not a “St. Andrews burger” for lunch or a dining room wallpapered in Scottish tartan.
It is not the ego of a rich man or the idiocy of a committee, although both have a long tradition in the sport.
So what is it?
Tradition is a game played afoot, with a caddie, or a bag slung over a shoulder or pulled by a trolley.
It is the feel of a persimmon head striking a balata ball. 
It is wicker baskets that offer no clue as to the direction of the wind.
It is a game played on the ground as well as in the air.
It is turf that is never uniform, either in color or texture.
It is fairways kept firm and dry, putting surfaces maintained at a sensible pace.
It is unpredictable bounces of the ball, off slopes gentle and severe, sometimes into disheartening trouble, sometimes into undeserved success.
It is match play, where the course is not the opponent, only its canvas.
It is camaraderie in the clench of a stormy Nassau.
It is holes that look as though they evolved from the terrain rather than were forced upon it.
It is a series of heart-skipping risks with commensurate rewards.
It is strategies that maintain our interest.
It is water hazards provided solely by nature.
It is the easy approach resulting from a well-positioned drive on a Donald Ross dogleg.
It is the wide berth we give to each A.W.Tillinghast bunker.
It is the glee in deciphering the complexities of an Alister Mackenzie green.
It is the puzzlement summoned by one of C.B.Macdonald’s blind holes.
It is a simple clubhouse with massive shower-heads and a modest menu.
It is the great theater of national champion-ships – especially at well-preserved courses that offer a common ground upon which players of different eras can be compared.
It is the rush of adrenaline when we reach a spot where Ben Hogan once stood.
It is a shade tree under which Walter Hagen once paused (and relieved himself).
It is our sense of wonder when we’re reminded of the accomplishments of Bobby Jones.
It is companionship, especially with those who first taught us the game. And with those to whom we pass it along.
It is a game that should be accomplished in three hours, not six.
It is the absence of cart paths.
It is affordable for every man and woman.
It is not necessarily the game we play today.  It is the game we’d like to play from now on. 

Brad Klein

Re: What helps separate golf from other sports!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
Mark, unlike one brutal form of torture I watched this weekend that passes for a sport, in golf, they don't euthanize you if you stumble over the finishing stretch.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »
Brad--while far off this topic, but going with what you say--would you rather the trainers do what they did, or let the horse suffer for 8 months (and then be euthanized anyway) like Barbaro?

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »
Brad--while far off this topic, but going with what you say--would you rather the trainers do what they did, or let the horse suffer for 8 months (and then be euthanized anyway) like Barbaro?
I can't speak for Brad, but... 

The tragic brittleness inherent in thoroughbred horses is the residue of design (breeding), not just bum luck. 

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
The whole racing industry is absurd. They train and raise them too young, they're bred from too narrow a genetic stock. And anyone, like Jane Smiley writing today a column on the NYT website, who claims the horses show "courage" hasn't asked the horses to volunteer his or her bravery.

Much prefer watching self-motivated players grow up and learn, like Anthony Kim today.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:15:59 PM »
Martin-I was not trying to comment on the breeding of racehorses, only that when an animal, or any living thing for that matter, is in terrible pain, is it not better to end the pain than prolong it for a longer period of time when the likelihood of survival is almost 0%?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »
What we saw at Churchill Downs was animal abuse, nothing more, nothing less.

Bob

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 11:21:58 PM »
Bob--are you speaking of what happened after the race to Eight Belles or the entire aspect of the race in general?

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
The horse industry has bred itself into a sad business......and I agree it is abuse.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 11:28:40 PM »
Bob--are you speaking of what happened after the race to Eight Belles or the entire aspect of the race in general?

J. Kenneth,

I am afraid I have to say, the whole gamut.

Bob

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 11:42:20 PM »
You know, I find it funny that as a culture many think it is ok for people to genetically manipulate animals into creatures that are essentially money machines for sport, i.e. horse and dog racing, but at the same time, condemn people who manipulate animals to do other things such as dog and cock fighting. At the bottom of it, are these not basically the same thing? Using animals for the entertainment and profit motives of men? Not that I think dog fighting should be legal, but that is just a thought that came to mind.

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »
JKM, that's why they should both be illegal.

You could make the argument that dog fighting is immediately crueler, since the direct object of the competition is for one dog to kill the other. So if that's tantamount to first degree homicide, horse racing seems to me to be second degree homicide, since they've created and structured a situation through breeding, training and racing where catastrophic injuries are to be expected. Some sportsman these are who, as they claim, "love these animals."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:56:58 PM by Brad Klein »

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Brad--Its simply the way we, as Americans, view things. Dogfighting is seen as this barbaric thing practiced by backwoods boys straight out of Deliverance. Yet horseracing is this grand spectacle viewed by high soceity. Funny though that about 250 years ago, dogfighting and public hangings were two of the most popular events in town. George Washington used to attend dog and cock fights. Now he would simply attend a horse race. Barbarity is in the eye of the beholder, and right now, horse racing isn't barbaric; its what people with money do for fun.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
There is much to criticize about the horse racing industry.  For quite a few years now, there has been far too much focus on breeding and selling and not so much on racing.  Horses are becoming too fragile and many owners are just interested in getting a winner into the breeding shed.  In many ways, the industry was far better off when it was the "sport of kings" and us commoners just went to the races and wagered.

I can see where someone would feel some practices in racing are abusive.  Pushing fragile horses so hard at a young age is demanding a lot.  However, comparing horse racing to dogfighting is ridiculous.  Horses aren't regularly being beaten, starved, chained up outside, killed when they lose, and forced to fight to the death. 

Racing has some problems that it has to address if it is to survive.  I'm hoping that the industry does.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »
Mark -

At the heart of golf seems to be peace -- the calm and centredness that playing in nature brings, and that engenders the golfer's best play. In a sport like boxing (to name just one, and the most obvious), it's violence that's at the heart. I used to love boxing, was thrilled at the Ali-Frazier matches and at a Thomas Hearn. But then I saw Roberto Benitez knock out Alexis Arguello, a wonderful, elegant fighter, and I lost my stomach for it completely. To see in close-up and slow motion what happens with a knock-out blow, and to realize that for all the bells and whistles THAT's the intent, was too much for me. Golf is as competitive a game as I want.

Peter

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »
Martin-I was not trying to comment on the breeding of racehorses, only that when an animal, or any living thing for that matter, is in terrible pain, is it not better to end the pain than prolong it for a longer period of time when the likelihood of survival is almost 0%?
I understood your comment, and I agree that immediate euthanization is preferable to 8 months of suffering, followed by euthanization.  I think everybody here did.

The problem lies in the fact that "the likelihood of survival is almost 0%".  There is a reason that thoroughbred horses can't recover from a simple broken leg, even with the extreme care provided by their owners.  It is because the horses have been bred, inbred, and cross-bred for decades, with the sole goal of producing a faster horse.  The horses' bones have been made lighter and weaker, and when they break, the horse simply can't recover.

So yes, the horse needed to euthanized, and it was traumatic, and I do understand the connection that some people (my mother and niece among them) have with horses.  But the thoroughbred industry has created the situation.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:12:46 AM by Martin Del Vecchio »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:11:53 AM »
Seeing how this topic has gone OT, I thought I would introduce a new twist.  I would agree with the general premise that in-breeding is not a super practice be it in humans, dogs, or horses.  If horse racing is to be shelved then so should dog shows, because those animals are more in-bred than any others I know of.

As for putting the horse down, I can't argue with the logic of why this is done...but I do question why this is deemed taboo when it comes to humans?  If I'm 90 something, can't take care of myself, wearing diapers, mostly blind, and confined to my bed, why shouldn't I have the choice to be put down? I don't understand why euthanasia is not a choice for humans as well.  Seems humans are so caught up in the quantity of life that they forget about the quality of life.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
 What helps separate golf from other sports?....the fact that golfers are more willing to suspend reality and drink the Kool-Aid of articles like this, than are players of other sports.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back