News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Walk mower vs. Riding mower
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »
When our guys make the clean up cut there's always a 'ridge' where the grass is shorter in the pass than on the rest of the green. The cut seems fine everywhere else on the green.

Too fast? Too soft? We are a bit thatchy.

By the way, they use a Toro Triplex.

Thanks
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
Jon

I tend to agree mostly with the points you make.

One of the downsides to the walk mowing operation is the need for a transport vehicle and trailer to move around site. Also, each mower needs an operator so if you have 4 mowers you need 4 operators and a minimum of 2 transport vehicles. Thus the cost is not substantially lower as some people try to make out.

As to the quality of cut, I feel that a competent person setting up the mower should lead to no discernible difference. Most quality of cut issues with triplex mowers stem from inconsistent setting amongst the 3 units.

On the issue of compaction with ride on machines, most mowers operate at around 10 psi or less ground pressure. A human male of medium build has a footprint of 8 psi. I have seen some pretty heavy footed operators leave scuff marks and prints on greens.

For me, the two biggest upsides to walk mowing are:
- The ability to turn the mower with less room therefore enabling the placement of bunkers, mounds, undulations etc closer to the putting surface
- the complete lack of hydraulic oil removing the possibility of oil leaks

Grant,

You are correct that it takes more people to mow using hand mowers and this costs more naturally. I would point out that sending people out in pair is not very productive and leads to a 10% to 20% worsening in the mowing time in my experience.

You are right and wrong with the 10PSI on ride ons. This is true with the units on the groung but when you lift then the weight of the cutting units plus cuttings and box multiplied by the lifting force considerably increase this pressure and exactly where the green gets hammered with triplex ring.

Also, a heavy operated can leave scuff marks with his boots as many of the golfers do but this is nothing compared to the damage caused by a poor operator on a ride on.

For me walk behands should always be used unless there is to little time and man power available as often found on weekends.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »
Walkers can indeed provide 8 "inches" more roll than riders, but not 8 "feet" more.

Walkers definitely are easier on the edges than riders, but I don't think riders really cause that much more compaction than walkers do. If they do it is insignificant.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »

Walkers definitely are easier on the edges than riders, but I don't think riders really cause that much more compaction than walkers do. If they do it is insignificant.

Bradley,

why do you hear of tripöex ring (and see it) but not simplex ring?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back