News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Heiser

Best hot dogs on tour?
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
Ok, who has the best hot dogs on tour?  Seriously, we're renovating our restaurant and creating an entirely new grill menu for daytime hours.
What better group to ask for new ideas on menu items than the diehards of this forum.  Anyone have any unique suggestions?

Dave Heiser
Carambola GCC
St. Croix, USVI

Brad Tufts

Re: Best hot dogs on tour?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »
Olympic  ;)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
I am a confessed hot dog and hamburger fanatic. I hardly play a round without one or the other. Without a doubt the best burger I have had at a golf course is the Spyglass burger at Spyglass Hill's snack bar at the turn. It is a charbroiled master piece and their dogs are good too. Two places stand out for hotdogs, north of  San Diego, the Grand Golf Club, it was called Meadows Del Mar when I played it, and they had some kind of a sweet roll with their dog that tasted better than almost any I have had.
  Also at Rancho Murieta CC outside Sacramento, Ca they had a "super" dog that was about as thick as a fifty cent piece and was very good.
  I also like it when a course has Polish Sausage or some other kind  of sausage on the menu and will always try that over a plain dog.
 One of the best ideas for a golf course restaurant I have seen was at Palo Alto golf course, where they used to have a Hof Brau house with carved roast beef and turkey sandwiches and they would get a crowd of non-golfers along with the golfers.
 At least on the West Coast, Tritip steak sandwiches are very popular and draw big crowds.
 Good luck ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
http://www.waltershotdogs.com/index_flash.html

My wife's family is absolutely nuts over these. It is in Mamorneck, NY near Winged Foot. You can order the mustard online.

It is literally a stand, and everthing is outside. It can be 10 degrees and snowing and Walters has a line. The Google guys have nothing on the Walter's family.  :)

Closer to your neck of the woods, I swear by Foxy's burgers and dogs on Jost Von Dyke:

http://www.foxysbar.com/food.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:37:55 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
Olympics-Lakes are the square burgers, sorry.

Being an architecture guy, I go for the best combination of food, setting and design:

Flat out all time best hot dog, even though I seriously doubt it's kosher: Mountain Lake, Lake Wales, Fla., with chili, out by the halfway house at the 11th tee. Nothing like gobbling one down and then having to tee off on the Redan while everyone is watching you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:03:23 PM by Brad Klein »

Joe Fairey

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »
Dave,

If you want the best...put in Thumann's....your customers will love you...

Jim Briggs

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
Mike - As someone who went to college 15 minutes away from Walters, I can vouch for the fanaticism.  The hot dogs are specially made for Walters, they split and grill them (and the buns) on a well seasoned griddle.  Best hot dogs I have ever eaten.  Its a fixed roadside structure and any time you go by there are at least 10 or 15 people waiting on line.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »

The best hot dog I ever had was in Union NJ - 5 corners - may not have been the name just that there were 5 streets.
My dad and I would go after a round at the local muni.
The dogs were firm skinned as were the buns which may be more important towards your quest.
Birch beer and fries too...

Can you get good bread in the VI?
I so rearely get good bread in TX...

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »
I so rearely get good bread in TX...

The best I've found held the burger at Austin Golf...without question the best burger I've had anywhere thanks to the bun.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »
Silly...  No doubt Ted's in Buffalo and Tempe, AZ.  They use Sahlens brand hot dogs, cooked over a charcoal flame.  A natual casing and spices make this the one to beat.

http://www.tedsonline.com/

And the story of a nut from San Diego's visit to Ted's: http://www.tedsonline.com/news.php?letter=story2
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:24:15 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tom Yost

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
When you say best "on tour," do you mean the hot dogs served to the crowds attending a PGA tour event?   In that case the "ThunderDog" served at the Phoenix Open is NOT.

There was however, a golf course in Phoenix called Thunderbird (NLE), and they served a hot dog also called a ThunderDog that was excellent.  The golf unfortunately, was not.

I'm partial to a wiener made in Cincinnati Ohio. Kahn's Wieners -  old fashioned natural casing link wieners.   
"KAHN'S - The wiener the world awaited"
(bet you can't top that slogan!). 

(I just like saying "wiener")   ;D

Tom

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
Peacock Gap has a nice hotdog. I was chowing down on one and didn't get to see Scott Henderson ace #10 last week. But Olympic is better.

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
Growing up in NYC and caddying at a Jewish club named the Woodmere Club in the Five Towns area in the late 1960s/early-1970s, I regularly looped for Murray Handwerker, owner of Nathan's Hot Dogs.

His putter, I swear this is true, was in the shape of a hot dog on a bun with a thin line of mustard, attached to the shaft with two tynes like a fork. He was about a 30-handicapper and not real pleasant, but his wife had big knishes so carrying double in the couples' divorce open at 1 p.m. on weekends was at least bearable.

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »
The hot dogs at the turn on the Old Course are phenomenal.  There were many times during my year there where I'd go for a walk on West Sands, and then take the long way home via the refreshment van just for those hot dogs!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
Chris, another TOC one...
Marshalling at the 2000 Open, our club was in charge of the 8th at TOC. I'll never forget on the wednesday practice round, quite late in the day, Stuart Appleby and Robert Allenby (clearly great mates!) teeing off on 8 and heading straight for the 'burger van' behind the stand. A minute or two later and the two of them come bounding back onto the course with I think two dogs each, stuffing their faces, having a great laugh.

My kinda athletes!!! ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ray Richard

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
I can still taste the Hot Dogs I had at the US Open in Oak Hill in Rochester, NY. You order them as Reds or Whites. The Reds are Beef and the Whites are Pork, and if you call them Hot Dogs you get a stern lecture about the Hot Dog tradition in that part of New York State. After consuming 3 of each I can say they were quite good but terribly addictive.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:41:49 AM by Ray Richard »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 07:39:53 PM »
Ok, who has the best hot dogs on tour?  Seriously, we're renovating our restaurant and creating an entirely new grill menu for daytime hours.
What better group to ask for new ideas on menu items than the diehards of this forum.  Anyone have any unique suggestions?

Dave Heiser
Carambola GCC
St. Croix, USVI

Dave how is the course these days... ever cross paths with Roger Mack?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »
I regularly looped for Murray Handwerker, owner of Nathan's Hot Dogs.

His putter, I swear this is true, was in the shape of a hot dog on a bun with a thin line of mustard, attached to the shaft with two tynes like a fork.

That putter sounds illegal to me.
The 2 attachments and probably the mustard too.
You better write the club a letter....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »
In Chicago, they have these big fat kosher dogs in Highland Park, Illinois at Michael's.

Great
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Phil McDade

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »
The Polishes here in the clubhouse of this Langford-Moreau under-the-radar gem are quite good.

http://www.springvalleyccsalem.com/index.html

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »
I can still taste the Hot Dogs I had at the US Open in Oak Hill in Rochester, NY. You order thems as Reds or Whites. The Reds are Beef and the Whites are Pork, and if you call them Hot Dogs you get a stern lecture about the Hot Dog tradition in that part of New York State. After consuming 3 of each I can say they were quite good but terribly addictive.

Yeah - they're good - Zweigles brand, and you should be able to pick them up at any Wegmans grocery
store.  http://www.zweigles.com/

David Heiser

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

"Dave how is the course these days... ever cross paths with Roger Mack?"

Greg- Haven't met Roger but I come cross his signature constantly.  Things are going well here,  Still in planning phase, but restorations are already underway.
  Now if we can only find the perfect hot dog,,,, I'm a Philly guy originally so I was always partial to a place called "Yoccos" in Allentown, PA.

Anyone remember the commercial with sign boy and Lumpy standing outside  a fitness center eating dogs and  arguing over who has the best one on tour, while Jesper peddles away on a stationary bike?  Classic.

Dave Heiser
Carambola GCC
STX, USVI

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
Best hot dog at a course:  Vaquero outside of Dallas.  They make their own sauage on site and it was unreal.

Best hamburger:  Rochelle Ranch in Rawlins, WY.  Big and crazy good!

Best hot dog and hamburger at a PGA Tour course:  Both are from Poppy Hills.  They were tasty.

I need to get back to the Olympic Club though.  I had heard all this hype and when I tried the hot dog it fell well short of my expectations.  Maybe I just caught it on the wrong day.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »
Apparantly the dogs aren't the same, and the name wasn't either...

Here is an article by someone over at hotdogatlas.com

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0CE3DF173DF935A35754C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

John_Cullum

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:52 PM »
Apparantly the dogs aren't the same, and the name wasn't either...

Here is an article by someone over at hotdogatlas.com

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0CE3DF173DF935A35754C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

From the article:

"Mr. Fox, 43, works by day as a mail carrier in Clark. He appears to be quite the suburbanite, as the owner of a colonial-style house with light blue siding in Union, a wearer of striped polo shirts, a Mets fan and a father of two teen-agers. He even had other hobbies, once. But now, by night he plies the Internet, where on sites like Chowhound.com and eGullet.com, he is known affectionately as ''the hot dog guy'' and the last word on anything relating to the hot dog. "

Clearly the The Emperor of Hot Dogs

"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back