News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

King's Putter out West....
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:20:59 AM »
Dixie Cup in the Southest, Buda Cup across the pond, there has to be something we can get started here in the Midwest.  Seeing all the photos and hearing all the stories has me a bit envious (thanks to all who are sharing, both photos and stories!)

We have some great courses here in Colorado/Nebraska, but unfortunately many of them are private and/or require a bit of drive time between each.  It seemed like the courses for the King's Putter were quite close to each other.

Is there some way we could make an event like this work here in the Midwest?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:48 AM »
I'll offer up a certain private club as the venue.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Bowline

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
I live in Denver and would like to participate as well. Good post!

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »
Adam,

If that doesn't get people to come, nothing will.

We would need a cutesy name like the Mid Kings Cup. :) 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »
The Cereal Bowl?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Bowline

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
I'll offer up a certain private club as the venue.
Having just graduated from Newbie to Junior Member (renting cap and gown tomorrow), I am unfamiliar with your club Adam. From the follow-up posts, I can only assume I have heard of it already.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14:15 AM »
Flyover Fest

The Prairie Putter  (one would need to be created/offered)

Wheat & Corn Bowl

Grassland Golfari

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
It does make sense to have four majors....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
Living in Utah, I'm all ears.

I suppose my allegiance could be divided amongst my place of upbringing (NorCal) and my current address.

While a certain someplace Adam is referring to would be a spectacular setting, I would be willing to set something up here in Salt Lake City.  To the areas benefit, there are many very good public courses which are inexpensive.  And tee times are usually not difficult on Sundays.   ;D

On the downside, with the brutally hot summers and frigid winters, trying to schedule one in spring or fall may be too near a KP or Dixie and I wouldn't want to ciphen folks away from those events.

By all means, lets keep this thread kickin around and see how much interest there is for a Midwest event.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
Flyover Fest

The Prairie Putter  (one would need to be created/offered)

Wheat & Corn Bowl

Grassland Golfari

How bout Dust Bowl!!!!  You don't ever have to clean the thing - assuming you have one.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
There never has been a mid-summer event.

Hint hint.

One can stand heat if the course and company is fine enough.  Hell we had fun playing in Palm Desert in June that one KP....

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
How bout Dust Bowl!!!! 

I actually thought of that one, too, but left it out...

One can stand heat....

Not so fast, Cirba!

Hell we had fun playing in Palm Desert in June that one KP....

110 degrees for 2 straight days at KPV.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
Scott - yep, that's what it was, and we still had a lot of fun.  At least I did... and I saw a lot of smiles... beat up smiles for sure, but smiles nonetheless.

My point was that heat should not stand in the way of planning an event like this.  It's a pretty diehard group... and when one considers Kalen's very valid point about not cyphening players away from the other events, well... to me it makes sense.

TH

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Scott - yep, that's what it was, and we still had a lot of fun.  At least I did... and I saw a lot of smiles... beat up smiles for sure, but smiles nonetheless.

My point was that heat should not stand in the way of planning an event like this.  It's a pretty diehard group... and when one considers Kalen's very valid point about not cyphening players away from the other events, well... to me it makes sense.

TH

Mind you AwsHuckabilly, the Midwest is a big place.  There may be some places which aren't quite as hot as others.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:49:17 AM »

TH

Mind you AwsHuckabilly, the Midwest is a big place.  There may be some places which aren't quite as hot as others.

Ciao

Fully agreed!  Thus back to my point on the timing of this... sure seems to me that a mid-summer, midwest event could work very very well, with no detriment to the other events.

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
My previous attempt to post here disappeared into cyberspace. The gist is that Adam offered up a perfect venue. Denver has a Dye public access (Doak was working with him at the time), Renaissance team is working on a municipal project there the last I heard, Jim Engh has courses in the area. Ken Kavanaugh has a course in the area. Coming up with an event is a cinch.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »
Still nadda in the Northeast....for you newbies...the USGA might have a NE bias, but GCA swings to CA and the Southeast....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »
My previous attempt to post here disappeared into cyberspace. The gist is that Adam offered up a perfect venue. Denver has a Dye public access (Doak was working with him at the time), Renaissance team is working on a municipal project there the last I heard, Jim Engh has courses in the area. Ken Kavanaugh has a course in the area. Coming up with an event is a cinch.

Well, all would agree that if Adam offers to host 36+ at his home club, 50+ will sign up to play.

Seems to me the problem will be keeping down the crowds if that comes through.

But outside of that, yes greater Denver is a wonderful site.  I just find it odd to call that the "mid-west."  But like I say - and like you of all people know, Ed - if you organize it, they will come.

It just takes a few guys (or one!) to cease talking and start dialing.

TH

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »

Ed,

Excellent points!!

Tom,

Maybe Adam can do like the recent MPCC outing at KPVI and only those who have not previously played will be eligible to keep the numbers down.

Denver is very easy to reach for most of us in the middle of the country, a one hop stop.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

Ed,

Excellent points!!

Tom,

Maybe Adam can do like the recent MPCC outing at KPVI and only those who have not previously played will be eligible to keep the numbers down.

Denver is very easy to reach for most of us in the middle of the country, a one hop stop.

An excellent suggestion, Craig.  Problem would be the distance though, I think.  How far is it from Denver out to Holyoke?  Those out there would pretty much necessarily be on their own for at least that full day... and wouldn't want to leave.... It worked here because MPCC was right near all the other courses, and dinner venues.   Combining Adam's club with anything else could get problematic.  Of course as I say where there is a will, there is a way.

I've never played Adam's club....

;)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »
After my annual romp with local family members at Lakota Canyon this June, I'll be headed to Denver to play Engh's Fossil Trace and then on to Ballyneal. I'll try to scout out other opportune PUBLIC venues.

Maybe somebody in the treehouse can join at Sand Hills, someone else at Dismal River? I'll spot them 0.005% of the intitiation fees. ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
Huck,

It never gets old, without even saying it I'm sitting here smiling. 

I wouldn't mind coming out sometime during the period of July 14 - 19 as that is when the Kavanaugh designed Murphy Creek is hosting the 2008 USGA Public Links National Championship.  I think Kavanaugh is going to be there experiencing the thrill of one of his courses hosting an USGA event.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
Huck's impression that Holyoke is way out, is just plain wrong. The logistics are very easy. Numbers do not need to be held down with all the new rooms added. Two rounds would be the minimum to justify the travel and expense, and, could is easily accomplished in less than 24 hours with a great meal and good night sleep in between. People who did come would not be limited to 2 rounds, just those worried about their ratios.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »
note:  I spent three days playing at Ballyneal and believe there is no reason to desire to play anywhere else on a trip.  The interesting shots never cease. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:06:57 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
JK - be careful what you are smiling at.  You think you know me and what I have already planned to do.  You don't.   As for the rest, it's quite nice of you to volunteer other people to host a rather large number of people for multiple rounds at a private club.  I for one would not be so bold nor classless, thinking of this far more as the classy Ed Getka has.  Thus the contemplation of multiple venues.

Adam - great stuff! My take was just based not so much on the distance from Denver out to Holyoke, but  on past experience with these events, where well... the less driving one has to do, the better - and working on the assumption that one wouldn't presume to assume multiple rounds at your club.  But man that sounds cool and like I say, if you plan it, they will come.  Shit, count me in if you can make this happen - I will change my current plans toot-sweet.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back