News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Charm and Golf Courses
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson's older brother, wrote something very interesting about a characteristic of Merion East that I'm trying to figure out as it pertains to the East Course in particular and for courses in general:

The greatest thing this committee did, however, was to give the East course that indescribable something quite impossible to put a finger on,---the thing called “Charm” which is just as important in a golf course as in a person and quite as elusive, yet the potency of which we all recognize. How they secured it we do not know; perhaps they do not.

Merion East is an enjoyably difficult golf course on a small piece of land.  I do sense the charm alan Wilson was talking about and have felt that way elsewhere (Merion West, Swinley Forest, Kittansett, Dornoch, perhaps at Indian Creek), but for the life of me, cannot figure it out.  What say you all?

Peter Pallotta

Re: Charm and Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
Wayne -

I think a golf course is charming when it feels all of one piece, and  comfortable with itself and in its own skin. (An old cardigan, or a linen summer dress, flowing and loose and colourful.)  There's a self-contained and understated quality about it, and none of the parts (even the unusual bits, especially the unusual bits) overwhelms the whole.  There's simplicity and an understated elegance; like Bing Crosby's voice. Almost all of the courses that Sean Arble profiles are charming. They have an ease, they don't seem to be working too hard to please or impress or to establish themselves. They just are, happily existing there.

Peter 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
Wayne,

Yes, Merion has charm.  I don't think its anything you can quantify in people or golf courses. If you could, they would, well, lose their charm! 

I think the most interesting part of the report by Alan Wilson posted by TePaul was the notion that Merion thankfully had no blind holes.  I trust they (and perhaps a lot of others) disliked the Alps hole at NGLA and even over in Scotland.  So, despite the critical acclaim of NGLA from an early stage, there was already a backlash over some of its features.  From the natural flowing lines of Merion, I can only surmise that the geometric look was another Mac feature not highly thought of in Philly circles.

Someone posted some writings that there should be American Golf rather than pale imitations of scottish golf.  Perhaps some of Merions charms come from trying to be an original rather than a copy.  "Come to think of it, I can't think of a copy that is truly charming.  Busy isn't charming.  The description of "comfortable as an old pair of shoes" is pretty apt.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Wayne

I can't pretend to fully understand charm, but there are elements of charm which are identifiable in so called charming courses.  I do believe one element is for a course to be had.  What I mean by this is that a reasonable standard 10 capper can, on his day and perhaps with more than his fair share of luck, can shoot par or better.  Now, I understand that many a course can give up low scores to the 10 capper, but we all have a certain "understanding" of what charming is and isn't regardless if we can't define it.  A second and perhaps more elusive quality of a charming course is the ability to make the golfer feel at ease.  That is to say that there aren't really any highs or lows (relatively speaking with its other holes) beyond the odd exception.  A last element of charm I will suggest is simplicity.  That isn't to say the course doesn't take learning, but all sets so wonderfully in its surrounds that the golfer is lulled into playing the shots as he sees them - nothing seems forced or abrupt.

There are many examples of charming courses, but the few that jump to mind right now are Woking, Huntercombe and dare I say Mid-Pines.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
Charm is indeed an ineffable concept when applied to a golf course.  When I think I'm charmed by a golf course, I find myself slow to recognize and acknowledge its subtleties, mysteries and forgiveness.  A charming golf course is seldom brutish in any aspect, yet it may yield high scores in peculiar ways.  A golf course can be charming if it saves a golfer from a bad shot, but still supplies him with a daunting challenge in recovering from the position he finds himself in.  Most of all, a charming golf course is one where there are a few holes with ground quirks and subtle but dangerous internal slopes in greens to beguile and enchant the golfer.

I have played many a charming golf course, but the best would have to be Sand Hills.  It's all there in front of you, or so you think, but the ball does some funny and charming things when it is confronted with the wrinkled fairways and greens and when it's tossed by the Nebraska winds.

JNagle

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
Wayne,  I believe your architectural hero has the most charming golf courses.  There is delightful subtlety to his routings and marrying of features to the land.  As stated by Terry there are few brutish Flynn courses.  Alison and MacKenzie created very "charming" courses.  I find the quality of such a course to be devoid of features that appear contrived and forced into the landscape.  I cannot recall if it was John Low or another that stated, "the line of instinct ought to be frought with danger thereby becoming the line of charm".  A different meaning however that line will fascinate and allure golfers. 
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mike Bowline

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »
I would also opine that a charming golf course allows the player to be "one with the course" and feel intimate with it. That could mean the course is on a smallish site, or it could mean it feels isolated from its surroundings.

But there are lots of courses that fit these two criteria that I would never classify as "charming". The other elements needed are classic, subtle design; and a sense of history (I would not yet be able to call Sand Hills "charming" IMHO).

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »
Wayne,

Like you I can identify certain courses as having charm.  Swinley and Dornoch, I agree with, I also find it at, for instance, Elie and Silloth.  Sean rightly suggests Huntercombe has it.  I suspect it's highly subjective, however, and I can't put my finger on what gives a course charm.  I also think that charm isn't necessary in order to like a course.  In fact, when I think about it, many of my favourite courses, for instance Muirfield or Ganton don't, in my mind, have charm.  

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
Sean

I can't think of a course (charming or otherwise) where a legitimate 10 handicap player can shoot par, unless you mean net and/or you are not playing by the rules of golf.  Please explain.

Rich

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »
Sean

I can't think of a course (charming or otherwise) where a legitimate 10 handicap player can shoot par, unless you mean net and/or you are not playing by the rules of golf.  Please explain.

Rich

Pacific Grove Muni.

I have seen it done... by Adam Clayman.  Perhaps he wasn't a 10 at the time, but he was closer to that than he was to 0 without a doubt.  Rich - you were there, weren't you?

Local knowledge, clutch putting, and a very very short course make this all possible.

TH

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
Sean

Rich
Rich,

I've played with Giles Payne, then a 13 h'cap now 11 when he shot 71 gross at Kilspindie in a gale (eagling the last with a 5 iron to the green downwind helped, obviously).  I know he's also had a 72 at Elie, which is, of course, a par 70 but still a pretty good effort.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Sean

I can't think of a course (charming or otherwise) where a legitimate 10 handicap player can shoot par, unless you mean net and/or you are not playing by the rules of golf.  Please explain.

Rich

Rihc

As a proper round belly tax paying adult I shot 69 at Tenby (ok, 1 over) and a 70 at Pennard - though I admit to being a 9.  I also had opportunities to do the same at other courses, but failed in the final stretches. The important thing here is to believe you can play to par if things go your way.  There are many courses where I know I can't do this and there are some where I wouldn't care if I did.  Somewhere between these situations there is a chance for charm.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Peter Wagner

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
Wayne,

My desk side dictionary defines charm as "the power to delight or attract people".  I've never played Merion East but judging by the pictures I would say that the worm "charm" would apply.  When I think of people that I would say are charming I guess I would say as a group they were understated and the more you get to know them the more delightful they become.  Ditto for golf courses.

I would classify LACC and Lakeside CC as both being charming.  I would call Pebble Beach GC a beautiful and stunning course but I wouldn't call it charming.  I wouldn't say that Bandon Resort is charming, instead I would say that it's ruggedly beautiful.

Best,
Peter

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
Wayne,
You said Merion East occupies a ..."small piece of land" . I think that's a necessary component of a 'charming' course. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a thing on the planet we call 'charming' that is not somewhat diminutive, including golf courses.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
To me, charm in golf architecture has mostly to do with the use of space -- that the whole course is in a fairly tight piece of property, that there are easy transitions between holes and no wasted space. 

A big, stretched-out course would not be a likely candidate for charm, no matter if it were easy to play or hard.  However, a narrow out-and-back links course like North Berwick certainly fits my definition of charming.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »
Paging Shivas.

I guess with those above definitions, then the Reverse Jans-National has got to be the mother of all mothers for charming courses.

Small piece of land?  Check
Narrow?  Check
No Wasted Space?  Check
Able to go low?  Check
Feeling one with the course?  Check
Understated?  Check

;D  ;D  ;D

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson's older brother, wrote something very interesting about a characteristic of Merion East that I'm trying to figure out as it pertains to the East Course in particular and for courses in general:

The greatest thing this committee did, however, was to give the East course that indescribable something quite impossible to put a finger on,---the thing called “Charm” which is just as important in a golf course as in a person and quite as elusive, yet the potency of which we all recognize. How they secured it we do not know; perhaps they do not.

Merion East is an enjoyably difficult golf course on a small piece of land.  I do sense the charm alan Wilson was talking about and have felt that way elsewhere (Merion West, Swinley Forest, Kittansett, Dornoch, perhaps at Indian Creek), but for the life of me, cannot figure it out.  What say you all?

Wayne
Not sure charming is an adjective I would have used to describe Merion but after reading this thread I think understand what the intent was.  Tom Doak's definition really puts it in perspective.
Best
Dave

Grant Saunders

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
I'm sure that Ash would agree that Arrowtown possesses plenty of charm. Check out the pics on the thread about it.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
To me, charm in golf architecture has mostly to do with the use of space -- that the whole course is in a fairly tight piece of property, that there are easy transitions between holes and no wasted space. 

A big, stretched-out course would not be a likely candidate for charm, no matter if it were easy to play or hard.  However, a narrow out-and-back links course like North Berwick certainly fits my definition of charming.

Use of space (or more important non-use) to me is the essence of charm. I see too many course's that attempt to fill up all the space with ornamental trees. What is so wrong about open space? Its simple, elegant and playable.

Here is a good example of great terrain surrounded by native woodlands.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Same terrain cluttered up with non-native vegetation. Adds clutter, subtracts charm.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

David_Madison

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »
Small, comfortable, natural maybe with a tiny bit of quirk, and a course that cries out to be walked. Dessert courses can't have it. Low-lying courses built near mountains can. A course where it would look natural for a single player and his dog to be out there on a late afternoon. Caledonia in Myrtle Beach has it, but True Blue, just across the street and designed by the same architect (Mike Stranz) doesn't. Old Town, in Winston Salem, has it. Baltusrol's Upper has it; the Lower doesn't. The Cascades at the Homestead is another that's loaded with charm.

Andy Hodson

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
David

I agee with Caledonia. When reading this thread that is the one that jumped to mind.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
I do think that Fishers Island (NY) and Eastwood Ho! are charming.

LACC could be considered "Stately" but hardly charming.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
Sean

Rich

Pacific Grove Muni.

I have seen it done... by Adam Clayman.  Perhaps he wasn't a 10 at the time, but he was closer to that than he was to 0 without a doubt.  Rich - you were there, weren't you?

Local knowledge, clutch putting, and a very very short course make this all possible.

TH

Tom,

I was there.

Adam was an eleven at the time and when I saw him tee off I thought it might a tad generous, however, he played lights out and did shoot even par.

That was another day when the GCA camraderie flourished. We had beers at the eighteenth and finished up at the Tap Room. Who was the guy with the great wine collection?

Bob

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »
I think charm in golf courses is often the result of great routing - probably the greater the designer's skill in routing the less we golfers are aware of it. It's about making the golf course seem as natural as possible.

wsmorrison

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »
Mark P,

I'll be at Huntercombe in about a month.  I look forward to experiencing its charm first hand.

Bob H,

Eastward Ho sure looks charming from the photos I've seen.  Fishers Island, not so sure but I'll take your word for it since I've never been there.

Jim N,

I agree that MacKenzie created charm as did Colt in the UK.  I'd say that Augusta National lost whatever charm it once had.  Does Pine Valley have charm?  Oh yeah!

Terry,

While I absolutely love and respect Sand Hills, I don't think of it as charming. 

St. Enodoc  and Pennard seem to (from photos anyway), Aberdovey and North Berwick certainly do qualify as do the later holes at RStDavids.

I concur with Tom Doak that the use of space and sense of space is very important to a sense of charm.  As Mark R said, routings do of course determine the charm/overall feel of a golf course.  I think the use of nature as much as possible and the imitation of nature where it is not is a definite key to charm.  What was charming about the steeplechase courses or courses with an engineered look? 

As great as they are to play, what is charming about any courses by Raynor or Banks?  And for Macdonald for that matter though they have more charm.  Are NGLA, St. Louis CC and Yale charming courses? Maybe to a degree Piping Rock, Creek Club and Mid Ocean (I've not been there) are charming.

Which courses that remain championship venues today can be considered charming? 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:46:41 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back