News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Sorta OT - Baseball Announcers
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
Ryan - buy the MLB Extra Innings package!

This has reunited me with Vin Scully, much to my joy.  As a transplanted former Los Angelean, well... I've missed him.

If there is a better baseball announcer than Vinny, well you can have him.  I need no more.

BTW tying this back to golf somewhat... I played with a GD rater down in Phoenix... Eric Hanson... former long-time pitcher.  Tall, GREAT player (+4 hdcp), nice guy.

TH

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »
Can you listen to -- or read!! -- what went over the airwaves 9:41 pm, September 9th, 1965, in the City of Angels and not feel __________?

One game in a chain of thousands called by Vincent Edward Scully.

Mark

Phil Benedict

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
I think the greatest words in sports are Bob Shepard's "good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Yankee Stadium."  Absolutely dripping with history.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
Here in Houston we have to be tortured by Milo Hamilton's senile ramblings on the radio.  It's becoming a running joke that people are sending in "shout outs" to famous movie characters.  Some of the best have been Milo's hellos to 'Bud and Sissy Davis of Pasadena', 'Ron Burgundy and Co.', and 'Happy 22nd birthday to Veronica Corningstone'.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule that announcers can never retire?  Milo's Miguel Te-HAY-dah is killing me.

Buddy of mine had fun with ole Milo years ago when he was going TV broadcasts for WGN Depaul basketball games.  They visited Evansville for a game.  We made up a sign to show in the student section that said:

World's
  Greatest
aNnouncer:  Milo Hamilton.

Once on camera from a handheld zoom, it was flipped over to say "Just kidding!".
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Peter Wagner

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »

"Hello friends and a very pleasant good evening to you, wherever you may be...."

Vin is a fairly new member of my home course.  I've met him a few times and he's seems to be the nicest guy on the planet.  I don't want to bother him but I'll bet there's about a million stories in that guy.  I hope that some day I get to hear a few.

- Peter

Brad Tufts

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
I would think Joe Castiglione is one of the best radio guys going.  It's amazing that he was not that widely known until his 04 WS call, famous because it was the Red Sox-broadcaster call, not the shmoes on Fox.

Castig has been with the Sox since 1983, lead announcer since 1991.  He now teams with Dave O'Brien (also of ESPN Wed. night baseball), who also has a great radio voice.

He is probably most well-known in the Boston media for his sarcastic calls when the Sox fail to get the big hit.  When the bases are loaded & 2 outs, he expresses the angst of millions in his sarcastic "swing and there's a pop-up" call, which was the root of Nomar's nickname (Garcia-popup) right before he was traded to the Cubs in 04.  
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Benham

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
... Lindsey Nelson ...

Lindsey did the Giants for a season or two and it was difficult listening to him when you first heard him on Sunday mornings ... "after an exchange of punts, we move to action further on in the 3rd quarter ..."

I am a fan of Lon Simmons.  Many announcers spend too much time talking but you could turn on a Giants game mid-inning, here nothing but the sounds of the fans in the stands and realize that it was Lon's turn at the mike. 

Of course, when his broadcasts carry you through the Mays, Marichal and McCovery years, he tends to be come one of your favorites.  And of course his homerun call of "you can tell it goodbye" is classic ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Doug Wright

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »
I grew up a long way from anywhere in western NY and radio was my lifeline to baseball along with the televised "Game of the Week" with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese. I'd pick up Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and even sometimes Chicago on the transister at night (WOWO Fort Wayne was a favorite for music too). Bob Prince in Pittsburgh was  great. So was Jack Brickhouse for the Cubs, though by the time I moved to Chicago in the late '70s he was in his dotage and awful.   Cinci had Waite Hoyt pre Marty Brennaman doing the calls from Crosley Field (Vada Pinson era). Then of course the Yankees with Red Barber, Mel Allen and Phil Rizzuto. Phil was one of the original "homers," always cheering on air for his beloved Yankees. The Mets guys Craig mentions--Ralph Kiner, Lindsey Nelson and Bob Murphy--had a tough job in the early 1960s because the Mets were terrible but they were classy announcers. The great thing about the radio broadcasts was actually the times when these announcers weren't talking and you could hear the noise of the crowd, a constant murmuring undertone that made you feel like you were there.

Following is the top 20 list as voted on by fans for XM in 2005. There are some great names on here, many of whom have been mentioned:

1. Harry Caray
2. Vin Scully
3. Bob Uecker
4. Mel Allen
5. Dizzy Dean
6. Ernie Harwell
7. Joe Garagiola
8. Phil Rizzuto
9. Jack Buck
10. Curt Gowdy
11. Red Barber
12. Jack Brickhouse
13. Al Michaels
14. Chuck Thompson
15. Harry Kalas
16. Bob Murphy
17. Rafael "Felo" Ramirez
18. Lindsey Nelson
19. Milo Hamilton
20. Russ Hodges

Here's a link to the article.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=3277
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jim Nugent

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
Name this announcer:

"There's a drive!!  Deep left field!!  This ball might be outa here!!  It could be!!  It is!!  A home run!!"

The exclamation marks I put there understate this announcer's delivery.  He's on Doug's list, and is my personal favorite.  I expect a number of you know who he is. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
Name this announcer:

"There's a drive!!  Deep left field!!  This ball might be outa here!!  It could be!!  It is!!  A home run!!"

The exclamation marks I put there understate this announcer's delivery.  He's on Doug's list, and is my personal favorite.  I expect a number of you know who he is. 

I think that has to be Harry "I never turned down a Budweiser" Caray.  One of my favorites, but I only heard him on TV broadcasts.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Can you listen to -- or read!! -- what went over the airwaves 9:41 pm, September 9th, 1965, in the City of Angels and not feel __________?

Mark

Thanks, Mark, where did you find that clip?

I'd love to hear Vin call the last game of the 1962 playoff game when Stan Williams walked four straight Giants to lose the playoff series....... ;D

John Foley

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »
I love listening to Castiglione. He is as good as all of the best that are mentioned here.  He is the epitome of the down home New Englander.

I had the following from perviously, it's a little outdated, but has some great details.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/announcers.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Integrity in the moment of choice

Drew Standley

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »
Here in Houston we have to be tortured by Milo Hamilton's senile ramblings on the radio.  It's becoming a running joke that people are sending in "shout outs" to famous movie characters.  Some of the best have been Milo's hellos to 'Bud and Sissy Davis of Pasadena', 'Ron Burgundy and Co.', and 'Happy 22nd birthday to Veronica Corningstone'.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule that announcers can never retire?  Milo's Miguel Te-HAY-dah is killing me.

Buddy of mine had fun with ole Milo years ago when he was going TV broadcasts for WGN Depaul basketball games.  They visited Evansville for a game.  We made up a sign to show in the student section that said:

World's
  Greatest
aNnouncer:  Milo Hamilton.

Once on camera from a handheld zoom, it was flipped over to say "Just kidding!".

If Milo had never called Aaron's 715, would he be as revered as he is now?

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Name this announcer:

I think that has to be Harry "I never turned down a Budweiser" Caray.  One of my favorites, but I only heard him on TV broadcasts.

it certainly is Harry!

great post Wayne!

and if you really want to get under Milo Hamilton's skin, go up to him and tell him what a great guy you think Harry was....Milo thought he was going to be the lead announcer for the Cubs, but they hired Haray and to this day i think Milo has bad things to say about him...similar to how Joe Frazier used to/still does?  dislikes Ali for the what he used to say about him in the 1970s
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »

I would go out of my way to listen to Vin Scully call a Dodger game.

I grew up in Vancouver and we had, at the time, a AAA team, the "Mounties" in the PCL, who were in the Milwaukee, Baltimore and Oakland systems in the years when I was young. The announcer was Jim Robson who ended up becoming the long time announcer of the Vancouver Canucks.

The reason I raise it is that for road games of any significant difference Jim's call of the game was a reconstruction. He would be sitting in the studio of radio station CKWX in downtown Vancouver, receiving a ticker tape of events in Sacramento, Phoenix, Salt Lake etc. With every sound effect in the book on tape, he would call the game based on what the tape was telling him on the count, location of the hit, etc. etc. and it was incredible. I swear most people never knew he was reconstructing the game. Great voice for baseball as well, soothing like Vin Scully. They used to hold an annual open house when you could go down and watch Jim through the glass.

I am sure there must have been other announcers who were reconstructing games.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

Mark

My Dad attended that game in person.

And like all true Dodger fans, also listened to Vinny's call on his hand-held transistor radio.

I grew up with that being totally normal and expected... that is, bringing a radio to the game... my Dad's words were "it's not a real game without Vinny."

Imagine doing that today.... sigh.....

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
I grew up listening to the voice of the Tigers broadcasting games from the corner while my Dad and I tinkered around doing terrible DIY jobs around the house.  I always loved his style.  There were long periods of ball park noises and his (what I always thought as rather odd) southern accent drawing out the vowels.  He had a few quirks about him like referring to teams as the nickname, but using the city, ie "Bostons" for Red Sox.  I know the Tigers lost a dear fan in 1991 after letting Harwell go.  I know Harwell came back, but by then I was finished with the Tigers.  I always justified no longer listening by telling myself that you can only properly be a fan of one and only one professional sporting team, but how I wished Harwell would broadcast the Wings!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
Speaking of Vin Scully and other great announcers....

I swear the funniest bit I have ever heard baseball-wise was Jon Miller (voice of Giants for last several years, does ESPN games also, damn fine announcer for sure) imitating the greatest Japanese baseball announcer, voice of Tokyo Giants.  Said announcer learned to do such listening to Scully, so his style was wholly Vinnian.  For whatever reason Miller also speaks fluent Japanese.  So Miller - who does a MEAN Scully imitation in English, btw - did this in Japanese, and well.... I was dying.  Japanese word-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-LOWWWWWWWWWW.

If anyone can find that on Youtube I will pay good money (or beer) for the link.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »
Kuiper and Krukow for the Giants are hilarious on TV.  I swear I will never eat anything at Giants game because as soon as I drip mustard on my shirt my mug will be on TV with those guys making jokes, like the Seinfield episoe of George at the US Tennis Open.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Kuiper and Krukow for the Giants are hilarious on TV.  I swear I will never eat anything at Giants game because as soon as I drip mustard on my shirt my mug will be on TV with those guys making jokes, like the Seinfield episoe of George at the US Tennis Open.

Agreed.  I like Kruk and Kuip - and I say this as a Dodger fan.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »
I too grew up with Vinnie and there is nothing that says summer better than  ' A pleasant good evening to you where ever you may be"

JohnV

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »
One of my favorite Scully stories is that so many people used to bring radios to the game to listen to him that he got the spectators to sing happy birthday to one of the umpires.

I wish I had gotten to hear Red Barber in his prime.  I loved his segments on Morning Edition.

Mike Golden

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
Having grown up in NYC in the 50's we had some of great play by play announcers in history-Mel Allen, Red Barber, Vinnie, Russ Hodges.  But no one calls baseball like Vin Scully and I'm a diehard Yankees fan.  I was a kid but never got Red Barber-he would announce baseball so matter of factly- "there's a fly ball to left field, Woodling back, ....it's a home run'.  Of course that's light years better than most of the play by play guys today who have to have a 'catch home run call'-John Sterling, the Yankees radio guy, is probably the worst one ever.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
The best I've ever heard, over a whole season, was Ray Scott -- during the early years of the Minnesota Twins, when he was also the Voice of the Packers.

Absolutely fantastic.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill Gayne

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
The greatest baseball call ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMa5eZE5ilE

Vin Scully is very cliched but what makes it great are that the cliche are his. He came up with them and made them popular.

One of my favorite songs from my childhood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVOZkXDmZc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back