News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

I just want to make a quick observation on the concept of "original routing".

I can only use what I know, and I know the 5 year history of my club in Chester County, PA.  There was an "original routing" done by a fine gentleman that has worked in the golf industy in the Philly area for years.  He was once a greenkeeper and went on to run the project to build the course.    This original routing was well thought out and I've seen it.  It was well done and he even spent time to watercolor the drawings.   One could honestly say that he did the original routing.

But I can tell you that the course that I played Sunday was not his design. 

In a similar vein, what about Stonewall?  Does Tom Fazio get credit for Stonewall, seeing how it's his "original design"?  Heck no.

TEPaul

"H. G. Lloyd working under Hugh I. Wilson?   Perhaps you need to give yourself a lecture on just how powerful a man H.G. Lloyd was."     

David:

Are you actually asking me if Horatio Gates Lloyd was working under Wilson? I thought you realized, as we have for years, that Wilson was the Chairman of the committee that designed and built Merion East and that Horatio Gates Lloyd was one of the four Merion member on that committee with Richard Francis, Dr. Harry Toulmin and Rodman E. Griscom.

And, yes, I believe Horatio Gates Lloyd was a very powerful man and certainly in the entire move to and purchase of Merion Ardmore. He was the only one on all the relevant committees and I believe he was definitely behind the purchase of the land. It looks to me like he virtually controlled the HDC. Actually the fact that he worked on Wilson's committee, under Wilson, with Wilson as the chairman, tells me a lot more about Wilson in that roll and what the club thought of Wilson in that roll than it does Lloyd.

Have you ever belonged to a golf club David? If you have, have you ever served on a committee? Well, I have done both and I'm aware of huge numbers of clubs and their committees and in almost all cases when a club appoints a chairman of a committee they are doing so for a good and logical reason and that is that they are trying to use the person in the club who they believe is the most knowledgeable and most capable about the work of that committee and can and will do the most effective job for them.

I think it is YOU who needs to take a more logical and realistic look at who Wilson was and what he was capable of. For YOU to just ASSUME that Wilson was some novice nobody totally incapable of designing and building a golf course and that he was just sitting around waiting throughout 1909 and 1910 to be APPOINTED the CHAIRMAN of a COMMITTEE to DESIGN and BUILD the golf course just so he could go and talk to C.B. Macdonald to show him how to do everything is just remarkably illogical, shows an incredible lack of commonsense on your part and frankly is pretty laughable!

But the most illogical and frankly laughable thing of all of this is you're actually trying to tell US that since YOU can't find any evidence that Hugh Wilson did anything in 1909 or 1910 that that actually MEANS he did nothing at all. That is the most preposterous idea of all of this, and that is why we continue to disagree with you and also view your assumptions and conclusions in your report "The Missing Faces of Merion" as extremely weak and almost totally unconvincing.

People like you and Tom MacWood seem to try to rationalize the things you say in such a way that if you are not aware of something than it simply could not have happened. I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this thread can understand that is a completely illogical premise to base any assumption or conclusion on!

But, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my points. Let's just say I do not agree with your responses at all, and for the reasons I just gave I can't imagine why anyone would.

Mike_Cirba

I thought it might be interesting to draw what we know into a timeline, and suggest how the pieces might fit quite differently;

1880 - A 1.5 year old Hugh Wilson is recorded on the US Census having  a middle name starting with the letter "D".  We know it is him by the names of his parents and siblings.

1907, 1908 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley arrives back in New York from time spent in Europe, leaving from the port of Southamption each time.   Fellow member Rodman E. Griscom also travelled to Europe during this period, returning from Cherbourg, France.

Early 1909 – Merion Cricket Club begins to take steps to secure a permanent site.   The news account mentions that the club “desired to procure a permanent course and one of larger area than they were using.”  The Merion History by Desmond Tolhurst reports; "In 1909, the golfers at the Merion Cricket Club formed the Merion Cricket Club Golf Association to examine the problem presented by the Haskell ball, namely that it has made their course obsolete. The moving spirits of this organization were Rodman E. Griscom, Charlton Yarnall, Robert Lesley, Walter Stephenson, Alan Wilson and his younger brother, Hugh.”   Primary source has yet to be located but it’s difficult to imagine Tolhurst creating this committee out of the clear blue sky, especially when we KNOW that the "Merion Cricket Club Golf Association" was also the name of the organization that later formally PURCHASED the land for the club.

June 1909 – Mssrs. Connell and Nicholson own 150 acres and are advised that Merion is looking to buy land for a golf course.

June 10, 1909 – Somehow, on land they purportedly don’t yet own, Merion’s Horatio Lloyd brings HH Barker over to survey the property and created a routing.   We have no evidence if all or any of it was ever used.

Later June, 1909 – Non-owner Horatio Lloyd now brings over CB Macdonald and HJ Whigham who also commend the site.   It is not known what they recommended or whether they commented on Barkers plans.

July 1909 – The Haverford Development Company is formed with Merion member Horatio Lloyd (the guy who brought Maconald/Whigham/Barker  to survey property he didn’t own.   They swiftly move to acquire another 200 acres of adjacent land, giving them holdings of approximately 350 acres.   Over the course of the next sixteen months they work "with Merion” to determine that the property needs to be divided between golf pursuits and adjacent high-end Real Estate development.    Ultimately, they recommend that 120 acres be used for golf.   This was a generous amount of land at the time, but also arguably a "ballpark estimate", given that a course of 6200 yards was considered lengthy and of Championship quality. 

July 1909 - November 1910 - It is not known what the Merion Cricket Club Golf Association was doing during this time, but they had been formed prior and were listed as the purchasers of the property once the deal was sealed.   One could reasonbly presume that THEY were the ones working out a preliminary routing, and participating in the purchase of additional tracts.  There is clear evidence of this, in fact, as reported in the Francis/Lloyd rememberance of how the land for the 15th green and 16th tee was purchased in a "swap".   Francis was a surveyor and engineer.   If the routing had already been done by Macdonald or Barker at this point, then why was he out there pouring over maps and such, and trying to determine a routing with other Merion members???

August 1909 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Southampton)

September 1909 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Southampton)

Fall 1909/Early 1910?? - Merion creates a "Construction Committee" and appoints Hugh Wilson as chairman.

Fall 1909/Early 1910?? – Hugh Wilson and Committee visit Macdonald at NGLA for two days.

March 19, 1910 – Mr & Mrs. H D Wilson return from Europe (France)

August 1910 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Liverpool)

September 6, 1910 – Nancy Wilson is born to Hugh and Mary Wilson

November, 1910 – It is reported that the land purchase has been formalized, and that the Merion Cricket Club Golf Association has purchased land for a golf course.   The news account reads, “Within the past few days it has become known that Merion Cricket Club has purchased about 130 acres for a golf course.”

Winter 1910-11 – Tillinghast reports a particularly brutal winter, with courses still not ready to open in April.

April 1911 – CB Macdonald & HJ Whigham return to Merion to “advise on OUR plans”

April 1911 – Dr. Harry Toulmin, a member of the construction Committte returns from Europe (Cherbourne)

April – September 1911 – The basic routing is “constructed” by the committee.   In the fall, the course is seeded by Supt. Fred Pickering, who Alex Findlay later writes was given some latitude in how that was done.   We also know from Alan Wilson’s report that the course was seeded with bents, unusual at the time.

September 1911 – A Hugh D. Wilson returns from Europe (Glasgow, Scotland)

Winter 1911 – A much better winter ensues weather-wise and work evidently continues.

April 1912 - A British Golf Publication reports that Hugh G. Wilson is over there studying golf courses.   It does not indicate for how long he's been there, or whether this is his first visit.

May 1912 – A Hugh I. Wilson returns from Cherbourg, France.   The “I” on the manifest is clearly written over another letter that appears to have been a mistake, which was likely verbally corrected.

Summer 1912 – Work continues although it seems most of it is agronomic in nature, as the course opens in mid-September with very little created in the way of “artificial hazards or bunkers”.   

I must admit that I threw this together quickly, so if there are mistakes, as I'm sure there might be, please feel free to amend.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:20:46 AM by MPC »

Dan Herrmann

Following up on Mike's comments, here are the daily temperature records of 1910, 1911 from the Franklin Institute:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:29:11 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jeff_Brauer

Is it fair to conclude that Wilson took over construction because all the other members of the committee spent so much time in Europe? :o

And, has anyone here CONCLUSIVELY proven that their Dad can beat up some other guys Dad? ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

"As for Tom MacWood, not sure what you think he has to do with my essay.  I don’t’ speak for him, but thought of him plotting against TEPaul is laughable.  It is the height of self-centeredness for TEPaul to think that, but then it is TEPaul we are talking about. MacWood has better things to do.  Same goes for me."

David:

I never said anywhere at any time that Tom MacWood is trying to get back at me. Wayne Morrison only mentioned that as a question to you. But it does not surprise me that in your remark above you now have me saying that and thinking that. I think nothing of the kind, and never have.  

I believe I know exactly what Tom MacWood was trying to do in the context of Merion and Macdonald and actually what he was trying to do is completely reflected in the thread he began in February of 2003 entitled "Re C.B. Macdonald and Merion" (now perhaps on the 4th or 5th page). He pulled that thread back up about a year and a half later (as one can see on that thread) in May 2004. He apparently did that as a correlation to another thread he apparently started on "legends" and another way to look at the "status quo" and at the way clubs look at their histories.

If one reads through that entire thread (as I would recommend and have recommended on a previous post on this thread) one cannot help but notice what Tom MacWood was trying to do and why. He had clearly found a few newpaper articles that mentioned Macdonald's involvement with Merion East and he was wondering and asking what that meant. You can see all our responses that essentially say we are not sure what it meant but that the mention of it has always been reflected in Merion's history and history books. I think Tom MacWood must have felt that he had found something in those newspaper articles that the club did not know. I can understand why he may've felt that----eg he has never been to Merion and at that time he did not know what Merion history said. The fact is those Merion histories did include what Tom MacWood had found in those early newspaper articles and we told Tom MacWood exactly that. And then he kept asking what it meant in detail and we told him we didn't know ALL the details because the source material of those histories never included all that much detail of who did exactly what and where as is the case with practically every other golf course of Merion's age.

And then, of course, at some point later you came along and wanted to know far more of the details of the creation of Merion East and like MacWood before you, you were not aware of the histories of Merion and its source materials at that time which obviously led you to try to search for it on your own which apparently led you to eventually come up with this essay of yours "The Missing Faces of Merion" in which you merely "assume" and "speculate" what the details were such as the routing and design of Merion East and that Macdonald/Whigam MUST have done it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:09:54 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

"I must admit that I threw this together quickly, so if there are mistakes, as I'm sure there might be, please feel free to amend."

Yeah, Mike, you have a bunch of dates in the timeline wrong like Barker there in June 1909. I think he was there on June 10, 1910. I think you have some other dates a year too early too.

I have some kind of real estate document that seems to indicate that the Haverford Development Company was optioning some of this land on June 24, 1909 but the four page document is all written in longhand and it is really really hard to read.

DMoriarty

Tom Paul.  Those weren't mistakes.  Mike needs to push the entire history back a year so it fits with his latest H. Wilson.    When you are writing historical fiction you cannot let little things like dates  or first-hand accounts get in your way. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

"And, has anyone here CONCLUSIVELY proven that their Dad can beat up some other guys Dad?  ;D

JeffB:

I guess you might have to define what "CONCLUSIVELY" means but I would say, yes, I think my Dad did beat up some other guy's or girl's Dad. It happened one morning when my Dad was dropping my sister and me off at school when we were little kids. This was Seabreeze Private School in Daytona Beach Florida in the early 1950s (wait 'til I tell you who some of the kids were in that school ;) ).

Anyway, apparently the Dad of one of the little girls in that school had tried to blackmail and extort money out of my Dad, and to our horror when my Dad saw this guy dropping his kid off he went after him. The guy ran down the street and my Dad (who could really run) went after him. At that point we were very quickly ushered inside the school but I'm pretty sure my Dad pretty much did CONCLUSIVELY beat the shit out of that little guy's or little girl's Dad.

;)

TEPaul

"When you are writing historical fiction you cannot let little things like dates  or first-hand accounts get in your way."

David:

At this point, I'm quite sure no one would know that better than you! 

Jeff_Brauer

TePaul,

When reading MPC's comments about routing on a piece of property Haverford didn't own, the first thing that jumped into my mind was taking an option on the property to do some due diligence.  That would be very typical then and now and would probably be followed by a preliminary land plan to assess yield. If, later in 1909, they decided to study a golf course after hearing about Merions idea of moving their facility, then its entirely possible that they brought in a gca (Barker, who is probably a relation to Bob Barker, and thus will beat up Happy Gilmore at some future date) at the earliest convenient date, which could have been anytime, but apparently was in connection with a trip he was already planning to the area for a tourney.  If developers then were as now, saving the train ticket expense probably figured into waiting until he was coming anyway! ;)

Mike seems to think it was Merion who brought him in. I suspect that it was Haverford Dev. Co. studying the property while on option, perhaps with Merion's permission since they were both somewhat intertwined and working together. 

After all, SOMEONE has to take the first run at a routing and a practicing gca is a logical choice for that.

Mike_Cirba

That was a mistake on my part...thanks for correcting.   Please let me know any others.   I have also changed some of the commentary to reflect this.

1880 - A 1.5 year old Hugh Wilson is recorded on the US Census having  a middle name starting with the letter "D".  We know it is him by the names of his parents and siblings.

1907, 1908 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley arrives back in New York from time spent in Europe, leaving from the port of Southamption each time.   Fellow member Rodman E. Griscom also travelled to Europe during this period, returning from Cherbourg, France.

Early 1909 – Merion Cricket Club begins to take steps to secure a permanent site.   The news account mentions that the club “desired to procure a permanent course and one of larger area than they were using.”  The Merion History by Desmond Tolhurst reports; "In 1909, the golfers at the Merion Cricket Club formed the Merion Cricket Club Golf Association to examine the problem presented by the Haskell ball, namely that it has made their course obsolete. The moving spirits of this organization were Rodman E. Griscom, Charlton Yarnall, Robert Lesley, Walter Stephenson, Alan Wilson and his younger brother, Hugh.”   Primary source has yet to be located but it’s difficult to imagine Tolhurst creating this committee out of the clear blue sky, especially when we KNOW that the "Merion Cricket Club Golf Association" was also the name of the organization that later formally PURCHASED the land for the club.

June 1909 – Mssrs. Connell and Nicholson own 150 acres and are advised that Merion is looking to buy land for a golf course.

July 1909 – The Haverford Development Company is formed with Merion member Horatio Lloyd.   They swiftly move to acquire another 200 acres of adjacent land, giving them holdings of approximately 350 acres.   Over the course of the next sixteen months they work "with Merion” to determine that the property needs to be divided between golf pursuits and adjacent high-end Real Estate development.    Ultimately, they recommend that 120 acres be used for golf.   This was a generous amount of land at the time, but also arguably a "ballpark estimate", given that a course of 6200 yards was considered lengthy and of Championship quality.  

July 1909 - November 1910 - It is not known specifically what the "Merion Cricket Club Golf Association" that included the two Wilson brothers, Robert Lesley, and Rodman Griscom was responsible for doing during this time, but they had been formed prior and were listed as the purchasers of the property once the deal was sealed.   One could reasonbly presume that THEY were the ones working out a preliminary routing, and participating in the purchase of additional tracts.  There is clear evidence of this, in fact, as reported in the Francis/Lloyd rememberance of how the land for the 15th green and 16th tee was purchased in a "swap".   Francis was a surveyor and engineer.   If the routing had already been done by Macdonald or Barker at this point, then why was he out there pouring over maps and such, and trying to determine a routing with other Merion members???

August 1909 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Southampton)

September 1909 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Southampton)

March 19, 1910 – Mr & Mrs. H D Wilson return from Europe (France)

June 10, 1910 – Merion’s Horatio Lloyd brings HH Barker over to survey the property and created a routing.   There is no evidence to date if all or any of it was ever used.

Later 1910 – Horatio Lloyd now brings over CB Macdonald and HJ Whigham who also commend the site.   There is no evidence to date of what they recommended or whether they commented on Barkers plans.

Summer 1910?? - Merion creates a "Construction Committee" and appoints Hugh Wilson as chairman.

Summer 1910?? – Hugh Wilson and Committee visit Macdonald at NGLA for two days.  (Wouldn't it make sense for any Merion Committee to go and visit with Macdonald shortly after his visit to Merion??   Why would they have waited seven months until January, especially as NGLA was now open for play and the season was IDEAL?)

August 1910 – Merion President Robert W. Lesley returns from Europe (Liverpool)

September 6, 1910 – Nancy Wilson is born to Hugh and Mary Wilson

November, 1910 – It is reported that the land purchase has been formalized, and that the Merion Cricket Club Golf Association has purchased land for a golf course.   The news account reads, “Within the past few days it has become known that Merion Cricket Club has purchased about 130 acres for a golf course.”

Winter 1910-11 – Tillinghast reports a particularly brutal winter, with courses still not ready to open in April.   One must consider that if indeed the Construction Committee went to NGLA in January, it would hardly have been optimal time to look at the golf course

April 1911 – CB Macdonald & HJ Whigham return to Merion to “advise on OUR plans”

April 1911 – Dr. Harry Toulmin, a member of the construction Committte returns from Europe (Cherbourne)

April – September 1911 – The basic routing is “constructed” by the committee.   In the fall, the course is seeded by Supt. Fred Pickering, who Alex Findlay later writes was given some latitude in how that was done.   We also know from Alan Wilson’s report that the course was seeded with bents, unusual at the time.

September 1911 – A Hugh D. Wilson returns from Europe (Glasgow, Scotland)

Winter 1911 – A much better winter ensues weather-wise and work evidently continues.

April 1912 - A British Golf Publication reports that Hugh G. Wilson is over there studying golf courses.   It does not indicate for how long he's been there, or whether this is his first visit.

May 1912 – A Hugh I. Wilson returns from Cherbourg, France.   The “I” on the manifest is clearly written over another letter that appears to have been a mistake, which was likely verbally corrected.

Summer 1912 – Work continues although it seems most of it is agronomic in nature, as the course opens in mid-September with very little created in the way of “artificial hazards or bunkers”.    

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:31:23 PM by MPC »

DMoriarty

Mike,  Your timeline is not based on the facts, at least as I know them.   If you want to rely on Desmond Tolhurst's version, then why not just copy it in its entirety.   If you want to rely on a newspaper article describing the sale, be my guest, but realize information in these articles is not supported by the factual record. 

What is the factual basis for your inclusion of Horatio Lloyd in the HDC in 1909?

What is your factual basis for assuming that Merion was in any way involved with the Ardmore Ave. site before Summer 1910? 

" They swiftly move to acquire another 200 acres of adjacent land, giving them holdings of approximately 350 acres.   Over the course of the next sixteen months they work "with Merion” to determine that the property needs to be divided between golf pursuits and adjacent high-end Real Estate development.    Ultimately, they recommend that 120 acres be used for golf.  This was a generous amount of land at the time, but also arguably a "ballpark estimate", given that a course of 6200 yards was considered lengthy and of Championship quality."

This is just flat out fiction.   They didnt swifty acquire 200 acres.   Nor is there evidence that they worked with Merion over the next 16 months.   Nor did they recommend 120 acres to be used for golf.  There is nothing factual about this at all.

"June 10, 1910 – Merion’s Horatio Lloyd brings HH Barker over to survey the property and created a routing.   There is no evidence to date if all or any of it was ever used."   

As is stated in my paper,  HDC brought in Barker.   

"Summer 1910?? - Merion creates a "Construction Committee" and appoints Hugh Wilson as chairman. . . .
Summer 1910?? – Hugh Wilson and Committee visit Macdonald at NGLA for two days."

You are again just making up dates because they suit you.  There is ample evidence on when the committee was formed.  It is not convenient for you so you ignore it. 

There are many other problems as well, but I dont have the time to deal with it and you are so obviously not interested in figuring out what really happened.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:51:27 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jeff_Brauer

David,

Any chance you can quote the source material for the assertion that HDC brought in Barker and for what reason, like a letter of agreement, etc.?  Although I doubt that would silence the most severe critics, it would IMHO prove that he took the first run at the routing, which is all you have asserted, near as I can tell.

DMoriarty

Jeff,

I don't have a digital copy of the letter at present, but here is the text which answers your question.  Connell was one of the lead parties in HDC.

TO THE BOARD OF GOVERNMENT OF THE CLUB.

Gentlemen:

The Committee appointed to investigate and report on a permanent Golf course for the Club, beg to report as follows:

Among other properties to which our attention has been called, is a tract of approximately 300 acres . . . . About one-half the tract is owned outright by the Syndicate being represented by Mr. Joseph R. Connell, and our negotiations have been with him.
. . .
Mr. Connell, on his own account, obtained from H.H. Barker, the Garden City professional, a report, of which the following is a copy:
. . .

The letter is signed by Lesley, Lloyd, Bodine, Baily, and Felton.   

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:43:26 PM by DMoriarty »

Mike_Cirba

What is the factual basis for your inclusion of Horatio Lloyd in the HDC in 1909?

What is your factual basis for assuming that Merion was in any way involved with the Ardmore Ave. site before Summer 1910? 

" They swiftly move to acquire another 200 acres of adjacent land, giving them holdings of approximately 350 acres.   Over the course of the next sixteen months they work "with Merion” to determine that the property needs to be divided between golf pursuits and adjacent high-end Real Estate development.    Ultimately, they recommend that 120 acres be used for golf.  This was a generous amount of land at the time, but also arguably a "ballpark estimate", given that a course of 6200 yards was considered lengthy and of Championship quality."

This is just flat out fiction.   They didnt swifty acquire 200 acres.   Nor is there evidence that they worked with Merion over the next 16 months.   Nor did they recommend 120 acres to be used for golf.  There is nothing factual about this at all.

"June 10, 1910 – Merion’s Horatio Lloyd brings HH Barker over to survey the property and created a routing.   There is no evidence to date if all or any of it was ever used."   

As is stated in my paper,  HDC brought in Barker.   

"Summer 1910?? - Merion creates a "Construction Committee" and appoints Hugh Wilson as chairman. . . .
Summer 1910?? – Hugh Wilson and Committee visit Macdonald at NGLA for two days."

You are again just making up dates because they suit you.  There is ample evidence on when the committee was formed.  It is not convenient for you so you ignore it. 

David,

11/14/1910 - Philadelphia Inquirer

"Constituting a land deal of unusual magnitude and interest, more than 100 acress of ground at Haverford, on College Avenue...have been bought by the Merion Cricket Club, which will use the newly purchased site as a golf course."

"The history of the transaction was as follows:  Joseph R. Connell and E. W. Nicholson, having holdings of about one hundred and fifty acres at Haverford, on College avenue, contiguous to the grounds of Haverford College, received information about sixteen months ago that the Merion Cricket Club desired to procure a permanent golf course, and one of larger area than the one they are using, which they lease from the Pennsylvania Railroad."

(Based on this "insider information" from Lloyd which should they obvious to anyone by now, they proceeded to:)

"Mr. Connell and Mr. Nicholson commenced to get control of about two hundred more acres, increasing their holdings to about three hundred and fifty acres.   Within the past few days it has become known that the Merion Cricket Club has purchased from them about one hundred and thirty acres for a golf course."

"Horatio G. Lloyd, of Drexel and Company, a governor of the club, has been the prime factor in bringing about this transaction in behalf of the club."

(So we know that he was not only the facilitator of the transaction for the club, but he was also largely the Haverford Development Company who owned the property!)

"Before the purchase of the ground, Mr. Lloyd had it examined by Charles B. Macdonald, H. J. Whigham, and H. H. Barker, the well-known golf players, all of whom have pronounced that the ground can be transfored into a golf course the equal of Myopia, Boston, or Garden City, Long Island.

David...if your contention rests on there not being clear insider involvement and that somehow Lloyd could simultaneously be a principal of Haverford Development Company and a high-ranking member of Merion Cricket Club and then broker a deal between the two entitites without ongoing negotiations, communications, planning, and coordination going on between the two of them then you've got to be kidding us because I know you're  much smarter than that.

Mike_Cirba

David,

I just saw the primary source material you presented.    Did Barker produce a "report" or a "routing"?

This is wild...

Did you see how the Merion report went to great pains to say that "Connell, acting on his own accord...brought in Barker..." when we all know it was Lloyd (supposedly acting on behalf of the Haverford Development Company but really also acting for Merion) who brought in all of them??!?!?

They were evidently trying to make this look on the up and up, without any hint of collusion.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:59:12 PM by MPC »

DMoriarty

Mike,  Have you read my essay?

Barker submitted a report with a sketch of his proposed layout enclosed. 

Did you see how the Merion report went to great pains to say that "Connell, acting on his own accord...brought in Barker..." when we all know it was Lloyd (supposedly acting on behalf of the Haverford Development Company but really also acting for Merion) who brought in all of them??!?!?

They were evidently trying to make this look on the up and up, without any hint of collusion.

Do "we all know" that is was Lloyd who was behind all this?   How do we know this?   What is your support for this? 

Are you suggesting that Merion's Site Committee was lying to Merion's Board?  Why would they do this?

DMoriarty

And mike, as for your article above, and the potential insider information, I covered all that in my essay.  Did you read it?  I am starting to wonder.    But even the article you sight doesnt say what you think it does. 

Kirk Gill

David, you’re right in saying that almost all of my comments are dealt with in some way in your essay. The reason I made the comments, however, is that I’m left wanting more detail and more evidence for some of your conclusions than I’ve seen so far. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not going to claim that I know even a little bit about the history of Merion (and what I do know I’ve learned from you and from Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul, and Mike Cirba, et al, on this site). However, I’ve done a lot of work proofing and editing in my life, and in some portions of your essay it just appears to this reader that you are taking a string of possibilities and unknowns, drawing conclusions from them, and then saying this proves your point. I’m not arguing with your logic, you understand, in fact your conclusions are interesting and not invalid, as long as the string of possibilities you present are all true.

I don’t want to rehash the whole thing, but here’s one example.

"Given that the routing had been known for months, and given that experts (most likely Macdonald and Whigham) had been working on preparing the plans, and given that Wilson and his Committee had just spent three days with Macdonald and Whigham learning how to build the course, it seems extremely likely Wilson had been working out the particulars of the plan with Macdonald, and that he sent Piper a contour map of that plan."

I’m not sharp shooting you here, understand, and if I’m misreading or not reading the facts correctly, please point me in the right direction, but as I follow the logic of the above paragraph, I’m left with the following questions:

“…the routing had been known for months.”  -  Which routing? Barker’s routing (of which no copy exists, yes?) had been superseded by another routing, which “may have” been created by MacDonald and Whigham. I understand that you have evidence of meetings between M&H and representatives of Merion. I also know that MacDonald had seen the site. But was there, without doubt, a routing created by MacDonald, et al? If that routing has not been found, is there a record of people writing that they saw this routing, or comments about it? While a statement that MacDonald and Whigham told the club “what could be done with the property” shows that they played a role, it doesn’t explicitly say that they produced a routing. Am I wrong?

“…and given that experts (most likely Macdonald (sic) and Whigham) had been working on preparing the plans…”  -  as I mentioned in my initial response, your surmise that MacDonald and Whigham are the experts in question seems solid, but it is still a surmise and not a “fact.”

“…and given that Wilson and his Committee had just spent three days with MacDonald and Whigham learning how to build the course…”  -  Again, you do not have a specific date for this visit to NGLA, correct? You have evidence that indicates that it may have taken place in January, 1911, but the dates aren’t known. Again, am I wrong? If you are making even the most educated of guesses as to those dates, they are still guesses. Your guess may be correct, and I’m not saying that it isn’t. But until it is proven, it is still a guess, not a fact.

“…it seems extremely likely Wilson had been working out the particulars of the plan with Macdonald, and that he sent Piper a contour map of that plan.”  -  Another guess.

David, I’m not saying that your analysis can’t be correct. In fact, it may be absolutely correct. But what I guess bothers me as a reader is the way you write as if your hypothesis has been proven out based on the facts you’ve unearthed by all of your research, when what I’m seeing when I go through the essay is that you’re building one guess upon another and then saying that this constitutes proof. I don’t think that it does.

What your essay DOES do, in my humble opinion, is make a good case for possible revisions in the accepted history of this great course. That’s an achievement in its own right, and it deserves congratulation. Getting closer to the truth is of value. As you can see from the responses to your essay, it is prompting others to continue the search, and these folks, along with yourself, will continue to find more information that will either illuminate the truth, create interesting and involved debate, or even get some people hacked off. All of these can be valid, yes?

I do know about factual analysis, and I know that sometimes there are theories that aren't necessarily "prove-able" but are accepted as fact by most, like atomic theory or the theory of evolution. As long as you are saying that your essay is the postulation of a theory that you are basing on research, and that your conclusions are your opinion and not absolute fact, then I have no quibble with what you've achieved. In your initial post on this thread you invited comment and criticism. This has been mine. Take it for what it's worth, know that it is well-intentioned and not agenda-driven, or ignore it.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jeff_Brauer

Dave,

Thanks for a straightforward answer. I appreciate the info, just out of interest.

Kirk, you pretty well sum up my feelings.  There are some suppositions in Dave's arguments, and most are supported by documents and not too big a stretch.  Others maybe a little more than some are comfy with.

Both sides of this debate are making assumptions, deciding what to believe from what source and what "must be" a mistake that can't be relied on.  Well, the real truth will never come out, because at this point, its all interpretation and I can't tell which side is interpreting the truth best at this time.

Put another way, at this point in time I favor the Barker routing theory because TePaul has a document saying HDC had a land option in 1909 and DM has a document saying HDC brought him in on his own accord.  MPC is saying we can't trust that doc, because we "know" that it was brokered by Lloyd well before the official deal was signed.

Of course, me favoring the Barker original routing theory and $4 will almost get you a Latte at Starbucks.  I am the Sargent Shultz of this debate - "I Know Nothink!"

I do find it ironic that Mike Cirba appears to be defending Merion's (or at least Wilson's) honor by stating that the whole land deal was a shady deal!  Frankly, I could see it that way, or the way Dave surmises, that Haverford was separate for a while and they merged forces some time in the due diligence process.  At least, I have seen it happen that way in my work, so it doesn't seem so perprosterous.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:00:07 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Mike_Cirba

David,

Do you or Tom MacWood have any hole drawings, routing plans, or definitive documentation that chronicles a greater involvement by either CB Macondlad/HJ Whigham and/or HH Barker?

Isn't that the fundamental question here?

A simple yes or no answer will suffice, but please feel free to elaborate as long as your answer is definitive.

Thanks

David,

Thanks for providing your responses to all of those questions, but you forgot to answer the simplest question of all. 

Could you respond?

Thanks.

David,

You do realize that I will keep asking.

If the answer is "yes", you're wasting a lot of people's valuable time, including Kirk Gill who I wish I could be half as articulate as.

If the answer is "no", then let's all keep digging.

The reason I asked if it was a "report" or a "routing" is because what you quoted from your source document referred only to Barker's "Report".

Jeff,

Neither Merion nor Hugh Wilson need anyone, least of all me, to defend their honor.   Nevertheless, unless David has additional evidence (that I keep asking for), he's asking us to accept huge suppositions on his part as reason to revise the historical record in terms of architectural attribution and I will continue to point that out.

I'm not saying that HDC didn't bring in Barker.   I'm saying that Lloyd, a principal of HDC brought in Barker (and then Macdonald/Whigham) to see if the land was suitable for Merion Cricket Club, where he was a Governor, and then negotiated the deal to the great benefit of BOTH the HDC and Merion.

There is no other way to look at this without blinders.   ;)

David,

I think there is some value in your effort to separate out the work required to "construct" versus "design" a course, and I think if you examine Wilson's words again you might see what I mean;

"T]he experience of each in construction and greenkeeping was only that of the average club member.  Looking back on the work, I feel certain that we would never have attempted to carry it out if we had realized one-half the things we did not know. Our ideals were high and fortunately we did get a good start in the correct principles of laying out the holes, through the kindness of Messrs. C. B. Macdonald and H. J. Whigham."

Wilson isn't saying that these guys didn't know what an Alps hole was or a Redan, or any of the famous British holes.   It's clearly been well-established here that many of them had been overseas repeatedly, as had their friends like Tillinghast, Findlay, and others.

What they DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DO, which is why Macdonald's experience and help was so valuable, was how to CONSTRUCT and GREENKEEP (agronomics) the type of great holes that they knew they wanted to build.   

Wilson doesn't say he doesn't know how to layout great holes, or that they didn't know what a great hole was, but they didn't know how to construct them...it's very clear.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:29:32 PM by MPC »

DMoriarty

Kirk, thanks for your continued comments. 

The historical record is not complete but it is much more complete now than recently.   My analyses depends heavily on the factual record and I provide all the bases for my analysis.  To characterize anything in my paper as a "guess" is inaccurate, to put it nicely.

Your critique is much more metaphysical than substantive.  You want absolute proof in order for me to draw any conclusions at all.  That is impossible, especially with historical research.  Often we must go with the best inference the facts give us.   

Ironically though, my essay is not nearly as inferential as most historical research.  Whenever possible I rely on verifiable facts concerning the timing of events to establish many of my conclusions.   Yet instead of taking my analysis for what it is, you ask for answers to tangential questions that are not a necessary part of my analysis. 

For example,  I state that the routing had been in place for months before Wilson was appointed.  This is based upon Richard Francis' recollection of working on the routing plan and figuring out how to fit the last 5 holes into the routing by adjusting the dimensions of the property to be purchased.   My point is simply one of timing, as I explained in the essay.    Francis tells us when he managed to get the last 5 holes to fit.  I determined that this had to have occurred before the purchase.  That is it.  That is how I know that Wilson was not appointed until month after the routing. 

Yet you ask: 

Which routing? Barker’s routing (of which no copy exists, yes?) had been superseded by another routing, which “may have” been created by MacDonald and Whigham. I understand that you have evidence of meetings between M&H and representatives of Merion. I also know that MacDonald had seen the site. But was there, without doubt, a routing created by MacDonald, et al? If that routing has not been found, is there a record of people writing that they saw this routing, or comments about it? While a statement that MacDonald and Whigham told the club “what could be done with the property” shows that they played a role, it doesn’t explicitly say that they produced a routing. Am I wrong?

I dont make claims about any of this in my paper.  And none of this matters to any conclusions drawn.  None of what you are asking even proves up the point I am making.  Again
1.From the Francis description, I know that:   
  a.  He was trying to fit layout plan(s) onto the property to be purchased. 
  b.  Thirteen holes were already arranged, and changing the shape of the land allowed him to fit in the last five.   
  c.  5 +13+18.
2. Looking at his description along with details of the option and purchase, we can deduce that Francis and lloyd changed the shape of the  property before  the purchase.   
3.  This gives us the outside date that the Francis finished the routing. 

That's it.  That is the analysis that reached the conslusion you are questioning.  It has nothing to do with who contributed what or when.    I dont know the answer to any of that, so I dont want to speculate at this time.   

Just because you'd like more answers does not mean that I guessed at the answers I gave.  In fact, I tried to be careful not to guess, and this is a perfect example.   My statement about the existence of a plan comes straight from Francis and a careful examination of the purchase.   

I sense you would rather I just guess, which is what everyone else is doing.  Otherwise I'd think you'd be concerned with some of these counter-theories floating around.   

“…and given that experts (most likely Macdonald (sic) and Whigham) had been working on preparing the plans…”  -  as I mentioned in my initial response, your surmise that MacDonald and Whigham are the experts in question seems solid, but it is still a surmise and not a “fact.”

The Macdonald and Whigham part is  a logical inference supported by the facts.  But set that aside.   Merion's board reported that experts were at work on the plans.  Can I use this at least?  Because if I can, then my point still holds.   In the paper I even address the possibility that this may have been hyperbole, just to avoid coming to unfair concusions.    In is ironic that you still think I did. 

“…and given that Wilson and his Committee had just spent three days with MacDonald and Whigham learning how to build the course…”  -  Again, you do not have a specific date for this visit to NGLA, correct? You have evidence that indicates that it may have taken place in January, 1911, but the dates aren’t known. Again, am I wrong? If you are making even the most educated of guesses as to those dates, they are still guesses. Your guess may be correct, and I’m not saying that it isn’t. But until it is proven, it is still a guess, not a fact.

Once again, you dispute an inference (the exact date of the trip) that has absolutely nothing to do with the underlying logic the essay. The exact date of the trip is secondary at best.  We know it was after the committee was formed, and we know that this happened at the time the land was purchased.   Hugh Wilson told us he studied at NGLA and he told us what he studied.    but other than than, it doesnt matter much.  I explain this in the section detailing my analysis.  In fact I even address the implications if my date was wrong-- Wilson would have had to have even more contact with M&W than we know about!

“…it seems extremely likely Wilson had been working out the particulars of the plan with Macdonald, and that he sent Piper a contour map of that plan.”
  -  Another guess.

I strongly disagree with your characterization of this as a guess.  But even it it was a bald guess, with no support whatsoever, it has nothing to do with the main analysis in my essay.   I offered my analysis on a tangential issue, and gave what think very likely happened.   If you dont agree, that is fine with me.  But that doesnt make it a guess.  Although you should know that no one else offered anything more reasonable or likely, not even close.   

My essay does not hinge on whether I have proven to your satisfaction that the map sent to Piper had the routing on it--- NOT EVEN THAT  My essay does not hinge on whether IT IS EXTREMELY LIKELY that it had the plan.   It fact it matters not at all.

But what I guess bothers me as a reader is the way you write as if your hypothesis has been proven out based on the facts you’ve unearthed by all of your research, when what I’m seeing when I go through the essay is that you’re building one guess upon another and then saying that this constitutes proof. I don’t think that it does.

The reason I use phrases like IT IS EXTREMELY LIKELY is to point the reader toward places where I am drawing some sort of inference or conclusion that is even a little less sure than a necessary conclusion.    So the reader can make up his or her own mind. 

All you seem to have done is to identify these points, and mischaracterize all the inferences as guesses, and say I havent proven my points.  This   But even then you have not  touched anything fundamental to my essay, which mostly elies on NECESSARY CONCLUSIONS from the timing of events.  So yes,  I do feel like I have largely proven big chunks of my basic hypotheses by facts I have unearthed, because they are necessary conclusions.   

For example, Wilson couldn't have routed the course if he was not yet involved in the project when it was routed.  That doesnt depend on anything other than the timing of events.   Now if facts emerge disputing Wilson's version of events, then Hugh Wilson and I will stand corrected. 

Mike,  I explained that there was a drawing in my essay.  In fact almost everything you ask me is answered in my essay.   

As for your pending question.  I find it incredibly insulting and telling about your ability to have a reasonable discussion on these issues.   As I may have said already, I've learned a lot about Merion, but more about you.   

I've answerecd you question before, and I am not answering it again. 

I have already answered it and will not do so again. 

STILL WAITING ON HOW WE ALL KNOW THAT LLOYD WAS INVOLVED IN SUMMER 1909.  Your not holding out on us are you Mike?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:06:57 PM by DMoriarty »

JESII

You want absolute proof in order for me to draw any conclusions at all.  That is impossible, especially with historical research.  Often we must go with the best inference the facts give us.   

STILL WAITING ON HOW WE ALL KNOW THAT LLOYD WAS INVOLVED IN SUMMER 1909.  Your not holding out on us are you Mike?

Phil_the_Author

Hi David,

I have a few questions that I hope you can address as I believe the answers may shed light on some things for those of us who are out here stumbling in the dark.

Quoting directly from your essay, you write:

"According to Barker, he inspected the Ardmore avenue site on June 10, 1910, and on the same day wrote, “The land is in every way adapted to the making of a first class course, comparing most favorably with the best courses in the country, such as Myopia and Garden City.”   He also included a sketch of a proposed layout and wrote that course would be ready for play in the autumn of 1911, provided he could begin work immediately..."

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of that sketch on here? The reason for asking is it would allow many an opportunity to examine just how closely Barker's proposed routing matches what was put on the ground when the original course was built. Obviously, if it differs significantly, that would show that his proposal was ignored and the fact that he submitted one is only an historic oddity (just as when a proposed club today seeks plans from several architects and chooses one that they build). If it is substantially similar it would go a long way to proving the Essay's assertion.

You also wrote:
"Wilson next credited Macdonald and Whigham with giving the committee a “good start in the correct principles of laying out the holes.”  In so doing, Wilson was not abruptly changing the topic to golf course design.  To the contrary, Wilson was discussing the construction of the course, and was being quite literal.   He was charged with laying out the course on the ground.   According to Oxford English Dictionary, to “lay out” means to “construct or arrange (buildings or gardens) according to a plan.”   This was precisely how Wilson used the phrase.  “Our problem was to lay out the course, build, and seed eighteen greens and fifteen fairways.'  The committee had to arrange and build the holes on the ground according to plan, and Macdonald and Whigham gave them a good start in understanding how to do so..."

Much has been debated as to the proper understanding of the phrase, "lay out." You have taken the stance that it refers to tha act of building the course as cited above.

If that is true, how can you explain from the quote above that "Our problem was to lay out the course, build, and seed eighteen greens and fifteen fairways..." If "lay out" in that phrase means build, why is it immediately followed by the action word "build" as a SEPARATE action from the act of "lay out?"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back