News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

What About Fought?
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
I'm playing a new Fought course in Indian Wells on Sunday.  My sister booked the tee time because she had a coupon or something.  The only thing I know about the course, which is called the Players Course at Indian Wells, is what I read on their website, which of course is a gushing tribute to the architecture, replete with pictures of flowing streams and emerald green fairways.

I know Fought designed the course where they play the Match Play.  Does he do interesting stuff?

Jason Topp

Re: What About Fought?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
I don't know anything about the course at Indian Wells but I have played four of his courses.  Windsong Farm, Gallery South, Somerby and Rush Creek.

The greens and surrounds are terrific with crowned greens and ample short grass chipping options. Tee to green tends to be wide and brawny with less interest than I would like. 

He creates interesting 2nd shots on par fives and very good par threes. 

I bet you will enjoy the course.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
Jason,

I like the sound "wide and brawny."   I need all the landing area I can get.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:59 AM »
Once privy to a talk Mr. Fought made I was impressed to learn how much time and effort he has put in transitioning from a pro player to archie. He was emphatic that both could not be done simultaneously, successfully. Perhaps Ben Crenshaw would be an exception nowadays? but, Ben does appear to pick where he plays, very carefully.

Cimarron in P.S. struck me from miles away. The flashed up white sand bunkering, was at that time so unique to the desert, I spent the next forty five minutes trying to find this course by driving through the neighborhoods. Originally designed with double greens, and other features showing deference to the home of golf, I found the course non-repetitive, full of variety, especially on a difficult site.
 Trophy Lake is my only other Fought and it was completely different than Cimarron, not as much fun, IMO. 

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil Benedict

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
Adam,

I'm taking a Dave Pelz scoring game clinic at Cimmaron on Monday.  Not scheduled to play the course but might give it a try later in the week if I enjoy Indian Wells.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »
Phil Hopefully it will be on the par 3 course there. While I did not play the Par 3 course, I've been told it's even better than the 18 now that the double greens are gone.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »
I have mixed feelings about Mr. Fought. I have played his work with Cupp at Pumpkin Ridge and Langdon Farms and his solo work at the Reserve, Trophy Lake and Washington National.  While I found all his courses to be solid and enjoyable, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to play any of them. They were certainly better than the average in Washington while I was there. 

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
I will echo Adam's comments. Cimmaron is very unusual compared to the typical PS courses in the area. The whole thing lies in a dried out river wash. Fought did some of the reworking at The Farms in RSF. I think he does good work from what I've seen.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
  I regularly play his first solo design, at the Reserve Vineyards. He has significantly improved since then. Very strong on visuals. White flashing bunkers seem to be a trademark, but expensive to maintain. His family used to vacation to the west coast of Ireland in the 70s and 80s. Builds good short 4s. Expect a fall away green somewhere.
  His next project to open is in Hurricane UT, near St George.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
Wasn't he one of the architects for the Raven at Verrado with Tom Lehman?  Nice golf course in the far west Valley.  Very playable from forward tees.  Nice mix of long and shorter par-4s, incl. one that goes straight up a big hill with a huge false front that must be carried.

Tom Yost

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
Wasn't he one of the architects for the Raven at Verrado with Tom Lehman?  Nice golf course in the far west Valley.  Very playable from forward tees.  Nice mix of long and shorter par-4s, incl. one that goes straight up a big hill with a huge false front that must be carried.

Yes, I do believe that the Raven @ Verrado is a Fought + Lehman.   I found the course interesting and enjoyable, with only a few forgettable holes but many good ones, good use of the terrain and ground game options around the greens.  Firm and fast conditions when I played it this past summer. 

I think that is the 13th, 300 yd par 4 uphill, the only visible green is indeed a false front and any shot left short will roll back to your feet.   

It is part of a real-estate development, but the playing corridors are wide and the housing is not too intrusive, however it probably is not ideal for walking.

Tom

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
MArk and Tom:

Verrado is indeed Fought/Lehman. The views are fantastic, as one would expect since the course sits probably 500 to 1000 feet above the valley. However, the Fought made good use of the land to take avantage of the best view points. It would be almost inpossible to walk due to sharp elevation changes and several long carries crossing the roads that are part of the development.

Two impressions I took away were the excellent conditions- literally the best conditioned greens I had eve played- and the excellent value. I don't recall exactly what I paid but it was in the c-note range, probably four years ago.

The environmental requirements on the development were very strict- all plants on the developed property were dug up, warehoused, and replanted within the community and around the golf course.

Verrado is a solid test and a much needed golf addition to Phoenix's west valley.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Chris Moore

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
Something in the back of my mind says he had something to do with the renovation at Pine Needles.  Is that little voice in my head that of a crazy man?

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
Chris,
Right you are.It's a Fought revision.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back