News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Then and now of Ojai's 11th-pic
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
I came across this photo I had and thought it would make for interesting conversation. The first is a view of the 11th (now 2nd) hole at Ojai Valley Inn from the 1920's.

And this is from last fall. A little further back, but quite a bit of tree growth, as you can see...

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

Re: Then and now of Ojai's 11th-pic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
David, Thanx for posting these. Now that's a change we can make fun of. ;D
 I suppose the lesson still needs to be taught. Oakmont's, and others lead seems to have stalled. In the end, especially with resort courses, the decision rests on the management. Those serious about providing enjoyable rounds to their guests should wake up and smell the coffee. The remainder will undoubtedly carry on with their myths of self importance wallowing in ignorance.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Perches

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »

I think some of the trees should go, especially the palm.  Maybe some need thinning.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:43:07 AM »
To their credit, it does look like they were able to get rid of the tree greenside right.  :P
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:52 AM »
I gotta say this looks to have been a cool hole especially if that greenside tree were ripped out.  Perhaps its the new photo with the sun causing problems or the angle of the pic (the old one looks to have been taken somewhere just right of the bridge), but I find it amazing that the first row of hills seems to be blocked out by trees.  However, it appears to me that the tallest tree in the ravine right of the pin was already poking its head above the crest line.  I spose it could be another tree that looks similar and is in a similar position.  Maybe Thomas (Thomas was the designer - no?) fully expected trees to rise from the ravine - otherwise why wasn't that big tree been dealt with 80 years ago?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:42:46 AM »
The origanal looks much better than the new to me although it is difficult to say as the new photo is taken from much futher over to the right. I prefer there being less trees and seeing the movement of the land over the course.

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »
David -
Do you have a photo of 12 (3) as well from this era?

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
Here's a slightly closer and a little more to the left photo than David's modern one - Mr. Wiggett is correct that the modern photo is taken from an angle more to the right than the old one.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »
David -
Do you have a photo of 12 (3) as well from this era?

I don't. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:34:26 AM »
Thanks for the new photo Mr. Ryan 8)

It looks to me that it actually would not take so much tree removal to open the course back up.

Ryan, is the tree to the right of the green gone?

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
Jon,
No, it's there - let me see if I can find one that shows it - at least, I think its the same tree...

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
Here you go!

R_Paulis

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »
Ojai's new #1 and #2 are disjointed starting holes imho. Neither were my favorites with the other routing and with the short #3 and the awkward #4 the course introduces itself poorly.

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Ojai's new #1 and #2 are disjointed starting holes imho. Neither were my favorites with the other routing and with the short #3 and the awkward #4 the course introduces itself poorly.

At Ojai the routing is always only temporary.  Give them time, they'll change it again.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

Hmmm. While #1 is odd (it plays nothing like it originally did), #2 (the photos above) is a good hole, IMHO. It just needs serious tree thinning. I actually like 3. It's a pretty neat pitch-par 3 hole. Now # number 4 I agree, it's a bad hole the way it sits. It was supposed to be a sort of dual fw hole with the original greensite being behind the 5th tee box. There are bathrooms there now. Now the other nine has alot of holes that are out of character with the rest of the course. Despite this, 12 and 18 are good holes. There is actually quite a bit more that could be restored of GT's than I originally thought after I visited there with TN back In Jan.

R_Paulis

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
After many rounds at the reduced remodel rate, I had high hopes for Ojai Valley Inn. The various changes in routings was confusing to say the least but the conditions were top notch and the course was empty for the most part. However, I rarely return to play Ojai for some reason. Maybe there's too many other local options nowadays that are more affordable.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »
Thanks Ryan,

yes it does look like the same tree.

The more I see of this hole the less tree pruning seems to be needed to restore the original look.

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
I believe that is correct - David's first photo shows more density than I recall there actually being.  No doubt some tree removal would help, but the first image, and even mine to an extent, really flatten the scene.  There is quite a bit of room once on or around the green, its just getting to that corridor to hit the approach that is a bit restricted.

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
The real tree thinning needs to take place, IMHO, in front of the tee. In the fall when I was there last, you could barely see any of the right side of the fw.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back