News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

"A good golf course should be without these defects"
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:51 AM »
In an early 1910 article from the Philadelphia Public Ledger, no author given but a safe bet it was William Evans, was this:

Not all of these are entirely architecturally related, but many are.  How good of job did Evans do?  What would the top 10 list look like in 2008, nearly 100 years later?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Melvyn Morrow

Re: "A good golf course should be without these defects"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Joe

Point 1. Cross Play, that stopped when more land was made
available for 9 & 18 hole courses. However with longer course
the need for Cross Play may have to be reconsidered for those
old course that no longer have any additional land for expansion.

Its a pity some of the modern developers did not heed Point 4
It would appear that 100 years ago they considered the golfer
more than the present day developers.

My draft List

1   Cross Play
2.   Long walks from Hole to Tee
3.   Carts
4.   Cart Tracks
6.   Long holes max 550yds
7.   Poor located hazards, bunkers & trees
8.   Unnatural course location i.e. harmony with the surrounding land
9.   Course Designed for the Pros’
10. Lack of facilities for the golfer, non golfer & family

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:53:41 AM »
Joe,

It's an interesting topic/exercise.

NGLA would probably fail # 2 and Merion # 4.

I'm going to try to hit some balls.      I'll be back for more, later.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »
Ironically, what a good golf course should be without are people who supposedly love the sport and implement changes to their golf courses without fully understanding the minutia found hidden within these annals.
 This list is what I would expect from the newest of the newest posters on this board who are not in the industry. And even then, not necessarily.  ;D

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
In an early 1910 article from the Philadelphia Public Ledger, no author given but a safe bet it was William Evans, was this:

Not all of these are entirely architecturally related, but many are.  How good of job did Evans do?  What would the top 10 list look like in 2008, nearly 100 years later?

Joe

This list reads more like an "ideal course" rather than a "good course".  The one element which really stands out imo as flat out wrong is point 1.  There are a lot of great crossing holes and if golfers are sensible they needn't be a problem.  Imagine what the world of golf would be like without crossers like L.O. & O.L.?  I suspect much the worse.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
Adam

Ironically, I agree with you in your statement  ???

‘what a good golf course should be without are people who supposedly love the sport and implement changes to their golf courses without fully understanding the minutia found hidden within these annals’  :(

The No Walking Policies and introduction of Carts and worst still Cart
Tracks has changed the face of golf. Plus cart tracks have scarred courses destroying the “scenery and landscape” which use to add to the enjoyment of a round. In themselves they also add an additional hazard and subject to path construction can alter the distance and direction of the ball. >:(

You also say

‘This list is what I would expect from the newest of the newest posters on this board who are not in the industry’.  :-*

Well clearly those in the industry have failed to safe guard the traditions of Golf and understandable have followed their clients request whilst happily taking the “30 pieces of Silver”.  :o

Adam, are you in the industry? If so Proud of these modern Pablo Picasso courses? :-\

Enjoy your game and the long drive between hole and tee. When you are not concentrating in keeping your cart on the path you may be able to enjoy the scenery. ::)

Sean

Perhaps we have lost sight of what a true golf course was like and we are going down a branch of the evolutionary path that may lead to the extinction of the game as we knew it.  :'(   

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »
Let me add another article that included some interesting comments about the times.  This is from the August 13, 1911 edition of the Philly Public Ledger, with no author listed.  I think it is from William Evans, but can't be sure.  Note, Tilly was also writing for the Ledger at this time and in fact had an article with his name listed on the same page as which this one below is from.  So it isn't unreasonable that it is from Tilly.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back