News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

The Greenbrier
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »
Well, it's high golf season for the W&L golf team.  We host our Buck Leslie tournament on Monday (4/14)--36 holes in one day out at Lexington G&CC.  Then it's our conference championship (win and we're into the NCAA D-III Championship, finish 2nd and we pray for an at-large berth) out at Poplar Grove in Amherst, VA (just north of Lynchburg) Saturday-Monday, 4/19-21.

BUT, in between those tournaments, some of the team will be heading out to The Greenbrier on Wednesday.  We'll practice a bit in the morning, eat lunch, then play the Greenbrier course, it looks like.  I've heard pretty good things about it, and I know that it hosted the Ryder and Solheim Cups way-back-when.  Is it, as many of my college colleagues say, "legit"?  Is it second to the Old White post-renovation, or in the same league?  I found some info using the "search" on GCA, most of it pretty old and suggesting that the Old White is comfortably the superior course.  What say you?

Thanks!

--Tim Gavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

cary lichtenstein

Re: The Greenbrier
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
Last year we scheduled 3 rounds, 2 at the Greenbriar and 1 on Old White, and after playing OW, we switched it to 2 at OW and 1 at Greenbrier. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
I would agree with the Old White assessment. I felt the Greenbriar course was good but not great. I would play OW 4of 5 times given the choice. Bring your jacket and tie! ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
Tim

It would be interesting to hear your teammates' opinions of the two when you return.

Mark

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Well, it's high golf season for the W&L golf team.  We host our Buck Leslie tournament on Monday (4/14)--36 holes in one day out at Lexington G&CC.  Then it's our conference championship (win and we're into the NCAA D-III Championship, finish 2nd and we pray for an at-large berth) out at Poplar Grove in Amherst, VA (just north of Lynchburg) Saturday-Monday, 4/19-21.

BUT, in between those tournaments, some of the team will be heading out to The Greenbrier on Wednesday.  We'll practice a bit in the morning, eat lunch, then play the Greenbrier course, it looks like.  I've heard pretty good things about it, and I know that it hosted the Ryder and Solheim Cups way-back-when.  Is it, as many of my college colleagues say, "legit"?  Is it second to the Old White post-renovation, or in the same league?  I found some info using the "search" on GCA, most of it pretty old and suggesting that the Old White is comfortably the superior course.  What say you?

Thanks!

--Tim Gavrich

Ah... old memories... I won your (W&L) tournament at Lexington in 1990 or 91 not sure which. Whatever course you play at Greenbriar they will be a treat compared to Lexingtion. Best of luck. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »
The Greenbrier probably qualifies more as a championship course over the Old White, but it feels like it was built 100 years later.

My guess is that college players would prefer the Greenbrier, while GCAers would pick the Old White.

WW

Ari Techner

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
I just returned from The Greenbrier and I greatly preferred Old White to The Greenbrier course.  Old White is just a ton of fun to play.  I especially loved the return of the chocolate drop mounds on the #5 and on the Redan.  The Greenbrier was typical Jack on pretty good land with extremely boring greens.  I thought Jack's use of the Macdonald/Raynor template names on holes they bore little to no resemblance to was laughable.  Although I thought the Cascase course at The Homestead was the best course in the area. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back