News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Walter Travis - What did he do before playing golf?
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
Travis evidently came to the United States in 1884 at the age of 22.

He didn't play golf until he was 35 years sold, picking up a club for the first time in 1896.   

He quickly rose to prominence in various golf-related activities, including publishing, design, and competition.

Can anyone give me an understanding about what he spent his time doing between the ages of 22 and 35 and whether they believe he travelled to Europe during that time period?

Thanks!

Allan Long

Re: Walter Travis - What did he do before playing golf?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »
From the Travis biography...

Travis arrived in New York in 1886 and began working for a company he started with in Australia as a teen in the early 1880's (McLean Bros--hardware merchants). He returned to Australia briefly in 1888 before returning to NYC. Shortly after he was married in 1890, Travis went on a tour of Great Britain; and in 1895 he worked out of McLean Bros. London office for 18 months. When he returned to the States in 1896, he played his first round of golf on Long Island.

Hope that helps a little.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Mike_Cirba

Re: Walter Travis - What did he do before playing golf?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »
Allan,

That helps a great deal...thank you!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back