News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

15th Hole
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »
I've never been to Augusta, but on TV the 15th green looks like a very small target to hit with not much room for error.   Add in shaved banks front and back, with water short and long left and it appears to be a difficult shot assignment.  With all of the danger lurking, the usable green space doesn't seem to be much more than the 17th at TPC.  (Mind you I'm not trying to compare the 15th to that hole, just compare in terms of how much of a target is available to the player) I see these guys hitting into that green with long irons thru woods without much hesitation to go for it and this is just baffling.

On to the question:

Is there alot more space on 15 to hit to than it looks on TV? Using the 17th at TPC analogy, these guys whine and moan about hitting 8 and 9 irons into that green, yet seem to have no issues with going at the 15th green with long irons/hybrids/woods.  I'm hoping someone who has been to both venues can clarify this because on TV, they both look hard as hell to hit to safely.

Kalen

David Stamm

Re: 15th Hole
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
Kalen, I don't meet the critieria your asking for having never been to either. However, I suspect the 15th, while a difficult target, is almost always seen from behind the green. This adds to appearance, IMHO, to the shallowness of the green. I'm not saying it's not shallow, only that this enhances that effect. 17 at Sawgrass seems to me a much scarier target. At least if the green is missed long at ANGC you are more than likely going to be okay. You can't miss anywhere at Sawgrass.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
David,

I think you are right....going long right or just right is usually not wet.  But it still leaves for a very difficult recovery.

I also wonder how much of it is them thinking that if they do go in a hazard, they can still get up and down for a par??

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
it is a very small target to hit a long club to.  the only place to miss is long and right which leaves an impossible up and down over the bunker to a green running down toward the shaved bank. 

laying up is just as hard as the downhill lie with a wedge is a pretty hard shot as well. 

i hit a rescue club long and right and made par. 

the pros however can hit much short irons in and hold the green.  the green is really shallow, especially on the left side.

having to hit a wood or long iron makes holding the green almost impossible for mortals.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
it is a very small target to hit a long club to.  the only place to miss is long and right which leaves an impossible up and down over the bunker to a green running down toward the shaved bank. 

laying up is just as hard as the downhill lie with a wedge is a pretty hard shot as well. 

i hit a rescue club long and right and made par. 

the pros however can hit much short irons in and hold the green.  the green is really shallow, especially on the left side.

having to hit a wood or long iron makes holding the green almost impossible for mortals.

I'm sure all true, but you don't HAVE to go for the green. The green is what it is because it's a par 5. Birdie can still be made if one lays up. There aren't options at Sawgrass, which is why I think it's a terrible hole.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
David,

I wasn't in anyway trying to compare/contrast the 15th at ANGC and the 17th at TPC.  Was only trying to discuss the effective hitting area that they have to hit into.  For the record, I love the 15th hole and think it'd be a blast to play.

Its always just seemed very odd to me at how many guys go for the green on 15 in 2 with a long iron or wood in thier hand that looks to be aiming for a target with as much forgivness as the 17 at TPC.

Mostly just trying to get a sense for how difficult that shot is, because it looks very tough.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:35:02 AM »
Here's a couple of pics from the Monday practice round in 2006...to give an idea of what Kalen's referring to...

From the crosswalk...

And from behind the green...

There is room to miss long, but one has to be careful of the slope down to the pond on #16...

JJ

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:51:09 AM »
Its obviously not very deep, but just how wide is the 15th green? Could that have anything to do with getting the pros to give it a shot. They feel they just need to hit a solid shot that will clear the pond. (?)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back