News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Allan Long

Triangle NLE
« on: May 27, 2003, 07:42:16 AM »
After more than 30 years in business, Eagle Crest G. Cse., in Garner, NC, closed its doors May 26. Eagle Crest probably
wasn't on anyone's "Must Play" list, nor was it the type of course that you would drive two hours to play. But, if you wanted a casual round on a reasonably-priced course run by friendly people, EC was a good choice. It also had one of the best practice facilities in the area.

Never easy to lose an old friend.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

A.G._Crockett

Re: Triangle NLE
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 08:13:52 AM »
Allan,
What happened to the course?  Was it an oversaturated market, or something else?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Allan Long

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 08:22:47 AM »
A.G.,

The owners decided to retire, and last I spoke with them, they didn't have any interested buyers for the course, so they are looking at just selling off the land.

Within a 10 mile radius, there are quite a few public and semi-private courses so I'm guesssing that play has probably decreased over the last 5-10 years also.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
Certainly this is an old topic, but one I thought to bring up given the amount of course closures in the Triangle, especially Raleigh since this was written. At least two courses have closed, Cheviot Hills and Wake Forest. I am fairly certain that Meadowbrook closed as well. And I know that Wil-Mar is looking to sell the land and give up the course. That is a huge number of public courses for one area to lose. And I have also heard from a good number of people that is wouldn't surprise them a bit if the owner of Hedingham put houses right down the fairways. I am not sure how the market outside of Raleigh, in Wake County and west into Durham is faring. But there have been a lot of course closures in Raleigh over the past 6-7 years, and certainly not that many public openings.

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
John,

Funny you bring up a post that has EagleCrest G.C. in Garner.  I worked there in High School and the first part of College. A great golf course for the price.  F.Y.I the present superintendent at Tobacco Road got his start at EagleCrest.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:14 PM »
John,

Funny you bring up a post that has EagleCrest G.C. in Garner.  I worked there in High School and the first part of College. A great golf course for the price.  F.Y.I the present superintendent at Tobacco Road got his start at EagleCrest.

Yeah, I brought it up because of the NLE status of the course. That and all the other closures in Raleigh. Its really hard to believe how many courses have closed there recently.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back