News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Martis Camp - New Fazio course opening in summer
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
I found these 2 photos of the new Fazio course in Lake Tahoe scheduled to open in July.

I believe these are the same hole but could be wrong.

Joe Hancock

Re: Martis Camp - New Fazio course opening in summer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »
For a sense of scale, find the excavator (hoe) in the construction photo.

Lots of drama for sure, and very appealing to look at. No way to know how it plays.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

BVince

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
That is a pretty hole.  Should be interesting to see how it turns out.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »
The hole plays 492 from the very back and is a par 4.  Since its at 7,000 feet elevation, Fazio has the course playing at 7,707 yards all the way back which may be his longest course.

The construction photo is interesting because the clay dirt is generally the same as the Nicklaus course down the road called Old Greenwood.  Hence the photo for the USGA spec green.

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
Eye candy a-go-go.  Anybody who doesn't like Fazio bunkering might have a small change of heart based on that photo.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Sure does look pretty, kind of reminds me of #16 at Rock Creek. Same left to right slope throughout, rock outcropping above the hole, kind of similar bunker placement.

I don't know how that Jim Engh bunker got thrown in there but yes, the bunkering looks pretty cool, especially from above the hole w/o grass.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
Ryan,

I think you're seeing the shadows of the trees re your Engh comment.

BTW, was your post a backhanded compliment or a sarcastic put down? I am having trouble deciphering.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
Looks good to me
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
This is likely to be a beautiful, high end private club.

I'm excited to see it in person.

Let's hope!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »

Jed:  What a wild guess.

www.martiscamp.com  I think homesites start at a million.  Not sure what memberships start at?  Lahontin is only $25k after you buy a lot for $500k.

Appreciation for the architecture at Martis Camp starts with an appreciation for the magnificent land on which it sits. Tucked into the heart of the Martis Valley, elevations on this grand property range from 5,900 to 7,100 feet. From these high places, there are compelling views of the abundantly expansive land, which affords true solitude and margin. And with a maximum of 653 homesites in  2,177 acres, terms like solitude and margin take on real meaning, allowing owners to build their dream Tahoe estates.

The Martis Camp offerings consist of Estate Homesites, ranging from approximately one to four acres, as well as Cabin Homesites and a very limited offering of architecturally inspired Cabins, centrally located to Club amenities.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
Nice job hiding the cart path.  Are full length cart paths necessary on what I assume will be a private, modest number of annual rounds, club? 

Isn't walking difficult at 7000 feet for the vacation home owner?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
"One thing you will never see from the tee on one of my courses is a cart path." (Or something like that) -- Tom Fazio, in his book.

Jed Peters

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »

Jed:  What a wild guess.

Joel: Thanks for the smartass reply.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
Ryan,

I think you're seeing the shadows of the trees re your Engh comment.

BTW, was your post a backhanded compliment or a sarcastic put down? I am having trouble deciphering.

Joe

Joe I just don't know, it still looks narrow and serpentine to me.

As for the rest of my comments, I like the look of the hole, I think if anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. And to top it all off, it looks like it might play fairly well.

Here is the golf hole I am comparing it to (the bunkers are obviously much better at Rock Creek, for reasons I need not mention  ;) ):

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
I am wondering about the fairway bunkers - does it seem like there is very little in the way of options for the tee shot.  Left side of the fairway short of the bunker kicks down to the right bunker,  or can land in the left bunker if long enough, or if you clear it you wind up in the trees.  A draw tee shot down the right also doesn't give much likelihood of winding up in the fairway.  Am I wrong or do you have no option but to hit well short of the bunkers unless you are capable of flying it well past them.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
Kelly, the cart path is in there, the fairway slope is so extreme that most drives will end up on the far right side of the fairway which is partially hidden because of the Ponderosa. Most of the paths have been expertly hidden and are made out of road base, which ads to the rustic feel of the property and helps blend in a little better, especially when the grasses brown out in the summer.

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
I'm very excited about this place. Scott Bower is the Dir. of Agronomy and his project management skills over the last two summers of construction have been nothing short of amazing. I enjoyed working with Scott Hoffman from Fazio Design very much. Scott and Scott were/are a great team. A ton of people put their hearts into this project and it will be great to see it open.
---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Dave, since you are probably the only person who has seen both courses...  Rock Creek or Martis Camp?

and since you probably won't be able to answer that without pissing off a lot of people, could you compare the two courses a  bit?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »
Kelly:

We almost didn't put in a cart path for the last three holes at Rock Creek, which form a loop below the clubhouse after the first 15 holes are above the clubhouse.  There just wasn't a good place to hide the path, so I suggested to the client to make the last three holes a mandatory walk.  But, they had to have a maintenance path ... so members will be able to use the center path (just out of the picture) to drive down 16 and 17 and come back up 18, a bit out of the way.

Courses like these need wall-to-wall paths (or something close) because the soils are fragile and there are a lot of freeze/thaw days in the spring.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »
Tom,

The natural aesthetic at Rock Creek reminds me so much of our Sagebrush project, not far away, up north.

Anyway, is Rock Creek walk-able? Just curious,
jeffmingay.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »
I'm very excited about this place. Scott Bower is the Dir. of Agronomy and his project management skills over the last two summers of construction have been nothing short of amazing. I enjoyed working with Scott Hoffman from Fazio Design very much. Scott and Scott were/are a great team. A ton of people put their hearts into this project and it will be great to see it open.

Dave:

Similar to my question about Cache Creek, what was the soil like at Martis Camp?   What type of grass did you plant?   Because the season is so short, what are the main hurdles in getting it in condition in the spring?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 12:01:57 AM »
Tom,

The natural aesthetic at Rock Creek reminds me so much of our Sagebrush project, not far away, up north.

Anyway, is Rock Creek walk-able? Just curious,

Jeff it is a pretty hefty walk, there are a few spots with some nice walks up-hill, which kind of drain you, but as soon as you get by the walk from 9-10 its smooth sailing..... kind of. Tom, has the bridge been built on 13? And as you can image the tees are pretty close to the tees, some more than others. I'd say its a tough walk if you carry your own bag, enjoyable if you don't.

Dave_Wilber

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »

Dave:

Similar to my question about Cache Creek, what was the soil like at Martis Camp?   What type of grass did you plant?   Because the season is so short, what are the main hurdles in getting it in condition in the spring?

Soil. Not much soil there!. It's the side of a mountain. Thank God for Scott's amazing ability to manage and fight for topsoil. Fairways are sand capped as are tees. Greens USGA Spec. Fairways were sodded with 100% Bluegrass. Tees and Greens are Creeping Bent. That's really all I can (or should) say.

As for making comparrison between Rock Creek and Martis Camp. I'm not the guy for that sort of thing. All I really can say is that two of my favorite people in the world are growing grass at both places. I'm blessed to be just a small cog in the wheels they are so expertly keeping greased. To say the pressure is on to be great is a serious understatement.
---------
Dave Wilber
Wilber Consulting--Coaching, Writing Broadcasting, Agronomy
davewilber@yahoo.com
twitter: @turfgrasszealot
instagram @turfgrasszeal
"No one goes to play the great courses we talk about here because they do a nice bowl of soup. Soup helps, but you can’t putt in it." --Wilber

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back