News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: "I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »
Hiawatha Landing, Red Tail, bayonne...ballyneal, black mesa...

Jay Hiawatha Landing?  I played it the year it opened.  It was ok and had some nice holes by the river but.....  Am I missing something?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Doug Siebert

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 03:44:17 AM »
Lahinch is a course that would be fun to play every day. In a strong wind it can beat you up and on a calm day it can be beaten-just a great place to play.

Lahinch has calm days?  Sure could have fooled me based on my experience!  My first visit had the strongest wind I've ever played in, in the clubhouse they said they were "force 9" that day but I don't know exactly what mph that translates to.  On my second visit it was "only" 35 mph or so -- about the strongest it gets around here without a storm blowing in, but at least I don't have to worry about tree branches falling on my head at Lahinch like I do when the wind exceeds 35 mph here! ;)

Lahinch would indeed be one of my top choices if I had to pick one course to play all the rest of my golf on, even if it turned out that calm days were only yearly occurances!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
It certainly is one of the best compliments one can give in my opinion. 

Robert Wrenn said that of Cavalier Golf & Yacht after I finished it and I was flattered.  Coming from a past PGA Tour winner, and at only 6,150 yards, I was blown away by that as a compliment (which credit goes to Charles Banks).

Lester

Lester,

Robert Wrenn played the grand opening of my first Giants Ridge course, and said the same thing.  Not that its not a compliment, or true in both cases, but I think he has figured out its a great standard cliche that us gca types will eat up......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 08:33:13 AM »
I'll tell you one thing, and that is for me personally to say any golf course anywhere is something I could play everyday and never get tired of it, it better be pretty firm and fast as much as possible.

I don't say that just because of length, I say it because particularly on cool architecture and/or topography it's just a whole lot more fun and interesting to play that way by a factor of about 10 than a course that's soft.

jeffwarne

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
It's a trite cliche.
I wouldn't read too much into such a statement.

I think Gary Player has said it about every course he's ever played, and DEFINITELY every course he ever built.

That said, I as a kid, I used to play Augusta CC every day and immediately go right from the 18th green to the first tee.
I think it's more true of courses that don't beat you up with long walks, lost balls, and excessive ,repetitive hazards.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
Mountain Lake is my course like that. TOC is close but I am not a mats man. I think this is a great opportunity to have a NGLA vs Shinny discussion. NGLA is an every day the rest of your life course and Shinny might be too challenging and not quite the joy NGLA is. Yet Shinny is likely the better course and challenge. Champions and Olympic Lake are both better tests and courses than ML but ML is the better every day the rest of your life course. to me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:13:18 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
An offshoot of this thread,  "if I could play golf every day, would I grow tired of it (playing golf)"?

When I was younger I thought not.  Through 2005, for 10+ years, I played between 100 and 135 rounds per year.  I found that I had little desire to play more often than that.  I wonder if there is an optimal median, but probably not.  I do know a GW rater in Indiana who plays over 300 rounds every year.  His home course is fantastic, but the man is still one playing machine.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
Mountain Lake is my course like that. TOC is close but I am not a mats man. I think this is a great opportunity to have a NGLA vs Shinny discussion. NGLA is an every day the rest of your life course and Shinny might be too challenging and not quite the joy NGLA is. Yet Shinny is likely the better course and challenge. Champions and Olympic Lake are both better tests and courses than ML but ML is the better every day the rest of your life course. to me.

Tiger,

Does TOC require mats every winter, or just the winters before a major tournament is to be held there?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Kalen,
every year.
Eedjits.
 :'(
FBD

PS Actually only came off this very week for RevToc weekend.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Lester George

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »
TEP,

You really should play Cavalier and the Old White given your love of "cool" architecture.

Lester

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »
I've said it about a few places I've played, but only about the ones that combine a moderate challenge,  a thoughtful and ingenious (in some way) layout, superb conditioning, practice facility, and a general atmosphere in which I feel comfortable and welcome.  I agree with Lester that the experience of playing a course has as much influence on this sort of thing as the course itself, though I think Kinloch would meet the test no matter what.

For these reasons, I count The Olde Farm, Spring Island, and Philadelphia Cricket Club, among a few others, in the "I could play it everyday" crowd.

WW

jkinney

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
"I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."

Is this the ultimate compliment one can give a golf course?

Clearly yes, it is the ultimate compliment. And yet there are hard weather days when one doesn't want to be out there because one can tire of it very quickly. I've had that happen on all of my own favorite "play it every day courses", where I was flat exhausted walking off eighteen.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
"I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."

Is this the ultimate compliment one can give a golf course?

I think that it is the utlimate compliment, that may be as simplistic as it gets.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back