News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: "I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
Thinking about this in a marriage/ relationship analogy, do you think this statement is even possible or true?

I love golf, but I wouldn't have the guts to say this kind of thing, at least not in a literal sense.

Joe

Crazy Joe is right.  No such beast exists that could tempt me to play every day.  I would think a course is doing very well if I tee it up every other day and I am not sure this course exists either.

Ciao

Sounds like more of a comment on golf than a comment on golf courses.

There's plenty of courses I could be happy being limited to, but thankfully I don't envision that happening. For that reason, this seems like one of those comments that don't really hold a lot of meaning.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Hancock

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
Lou,

Your GM needed help in the wording of his survey....

"If the cart path was closer to the womens tee on 13, would you prefer the tee to be firm or mushy?"

That's how you get what you want.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »
Thinking about this in a marriage/ relationship analogy, do you think this statement is even possible or true?

I love golf, but I wouldn't have the guts to say this kind of thing, at least not in a literal sense.

Joe

Crazy Joe is right.  No such beast exists that could tempt me to play every day.  I would think a course is doing very well if I tee it up every other day and I am not sure this course exists either.

Ciao

There's plenty of courses I could be happy being limited to, but thankfully I don't envision that happening. For that reason, this seems like one of those comments that don't really hold a lot of meaning.

George,

It's actually bigger than golf. Too much of anything can(will?) lessen desire.

It's not about one course for me, it's about playing so much that it isn't special any more.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
Lahinch is a course that would be fun to play every day. In a strong wind it can beat you up and on a calm day it can be beaten-just a great place to play.

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »
I have made a comment like this about Tobacco Road, though I do not think if given a choice, I would play there everyday, just that it would not be the worst to play, and certainly interesting every day. But yes, I think this is a great compliment to give a golf course. In all honesty, I think I could play Pine Needles every day.

JR Potts

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »
To have the ability to play golf every day....and have no other worries...you can open any world atlas of golf and pick a course...and that would be fine by me.

Mike Golden

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »
Phil,

Honestly, Bethpage Black is not a course you can play every day when you are a young lad or when your an old fart.  So in my book, that cannot be an everyday place for a lifetime...just an interim phase.   You gotta be past that by now, right ;)  ;D

Wayne,

Based on your limited play of Bethpage Black you are not in a position to make that determination.  I've played BB over 300 times in my life and could unequivocally play the golf course every day and never grow tired of it.  It's just a matter of playing the right tee boxes, playing from the rear tees is insane unless you can carry the ball at least 260 in the air.

When I played BB regularly in the 70's and 80's, in conditions that were not even close to the current conditioning, I would play BB 7 or 8 times in a 10 day period while on vacation.  Each round was a thrill, period.

C. Squier

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
Shoreacres is really high on my list.  Its a course anyone of any age can enjoy and thrive on. 

CPS

J_ Crisham

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
Shoreacres is really high on my list.  Its a course anyone of any age can enjoy and thrive on. 

CPS
Clint,
     I would agree with your assessment of Shoreacres-I could probably just  spend the evening drinking on the terrace overlooking the lake and feel fulfilled! Would be a great Chicago GCA get together site. ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »
There are a number of courses which would satisfy this requirement for me, despite the fact I am in fact a glass-is-half-empty, negative sort of fellow on regular occasion.  In golf, a home course is exactly that.

For this thread, I'll choose Pasatiempo as a good example of a course I would want to spend the rest of my life playing. Traffic notwithstanding, Santa Cruz is my kind of place.

Jed Peters

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
My home course is like that.

I change between 3 different tees to mix things up.

I could play it every day and not get tired of it.

James Bennett

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »

I suspect that it all depends on what you are used to.  People tend to become acclimated to what they have and then human nature takes over.  If one is a negative, unhappy, fault-finding person, after playing Cypress Point regularly, it would become routine, imperfect, and the source of all types of annoyances.  I once played with a guy whose father is a member of a half dozen or more of the northeast's finest clubs.  He grew up playing all of them and the way he talked about them is the same way some of my friends talk about the munis they were accustomed to.  The bottom line, we tend to value highly, maybe even envy, those things which are just outside our reach.  It is no coincidence, I think, that some of the most revered courses are also among the most exclusive. 

Lou

there was a post the other day listing sayings by Goethe (I think).  One of them was that
'Happiness is like a ball that we chase after, and when we reach the ball, we kick it away, and then chase it again.' 
I found the concept a little too accurate, perhaps a little depressing even.  Are we ever satisfied?

Regarding the thread quote and its applicability for my wife - perhaps it could read
"I could attempt to play with her every day and never grow tired of it."  ;D

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »
"I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."

Is this the ultimate compliment one can give a golf course?

When I've heard this comment (and I've heard it a few times) I've never taken it literally... that the author truly wanted to play this one and only course for life. Rather, I've assumed the golfer was saying that they were thoroughly satisfied and fulfilled, in a golf sense.

I don't think anyone with a true love for golf design could be happy playing one course for life; but, feeling after a round that a given course might be that satisfying sure makes quite a statement about the course, its environment, and the experience of playing there.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:32:38 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »
It's an appropriate response. I tried to tell an archie his course gave me warm fuzzies, but he didn't appreciate it and gave me a nuggie.

;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »
Wayne,

Part of a golf course's msytique is personal relationship. With the Black mine goes back to when I was 5 years old and accompanied my parents on Saturday mornings to drop my father off to play. My older brother would spend the night in the parking lot to get the tee time and Saturday afternoons were often spent listening to them talk about their rounds. Because of this, I knew every inch of every course at Bethpage before I ever set foot on any tee.

Since then I've played over 1,200 rounds there with close to 350-400 on the Black.

I really could play it every day... I know it's not Merion, but maybe one day it will be as good as the Black!  ;D

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
"I could play it every day and never grow tired of it"

I used to say that about Presidio Golf Course in San Francisco, way back when.  It's somewhat maligned around here for having too many trees, but it was my home course for a long time.  It had wonderful small greens--in fact almost of all of them were just fine until the current "management" group arrived and ruined several in the mid-90s.  The whole course was built on the side of a hill, sloping toward the ocean, and the 17th green (now 8th) was a good example--built sort of against the grain of elevation, so that uphill-on-the-green putts (toward the ocean) were faster and the downhill putts were relatively slow.  Putts that looked like they broke right broke left, and so on. 

Because the greens were small, you were often chipping, trying to get up and down, rather than putting, adding to the fun and challenge. 

In addition, the San Francisco weather presented a great variety of conditions, from 55 degrees and blowing hard and cold (in August!), to fogged in, to 90 degrees in the shade, to just breezy and sunny.  The course went from hard and dry in October to a long slog in February.

The hilly topography helped too.

So I submit at least two conditions required for a course that you never tire of;

1) Small, challenging greens  2) Varied weather conditions, so the course that measures 6400 on the card today might play 6000 tomorrow and 6800 next week.  Rolling land a plus.

If it's your home course and has these features, you won't grow tired.

John_Cullum

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
I have a crazy friend named Dean. He is a real piece of work. One afternoon on the porch at the club I was mentioning I had read where Christie brinkley's husband was cheating on her, and i was amazed that a man couldn't be satisfied by Christie Brinkley; Dean replied: "It doesn't matter how hot a woman might be, somebody is tired of (doing) her
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:35 AM »

Joe

Ciao

George,

It's actually bigger than golf. Too much of anything can(will?) lessen desire.

It's not about one course for me, it's about playing so much that it isn't special any more.

Joe

Crazy Joe

Those were my thoughts, but I would add that I have never come across a course that would compell me to play every day - even a few kick about holes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

wsmorrison

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:35 AM »
Phil,

I totally agree with you that our connections to golf courses spring from many sources.  But when I'm 90 years old walking and playing the West and shooting my age, you'll be on Bethpage Black shooting the combined age of Tom Paul, Pat Mucci and me---that is if you can finish the round  ;) 

With the East and West, we've got all stages of a golfer's life covered.  Thank the men upstairs--Hugh Wilson and William Flynn that is  ;)   

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
"I could play it every day and never grow tired of it."

Is this the ultimate compliment one can give a golf course?

I recently heard Gren Norman say this about Royal Melbourne Composite.
I sometimes have a problem with Norman's views but he's 100% correct on this.
Lots more Australians (and others too) no doubt feel the same about the course.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »
John,

The version I heard was:

"No matter how hot the woman is, there is likely someone somewhere who is sick and tired of putting up with her Sh**!!"

And its probably true, which I have a whole other theory on, but GCA.com is not the place for it!  ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 01:30:23 PM »
"I could attempt to play with her every day and never grow tired of it." James B

James,

Your response brought to mind something that happened some 20 years ago.

Back in the days when I was brokering apartment complexes in Texas, one of our tasks was to gather as much comparable sales information as we could.  Texas wisely did not tax real estate transactions or otherwise record sales prices, so to learn what a property sold for we typically asked the seller, the buyer, the brokers in the transaction, the management company, and whoever else we thought might have that information.

On one of these fact finding calls, I overheard my partner talking to a fairly well known Dallas lawyer about a large property he had just syndicated.  My colleague, a veteran broker, was typically much smoother gathering this sensitive information than me, but when I heard him raise his voice and say, "that's a bit personal don't you think?", followed by "as often and in anyway possible, and that's all I am going to say", I knew that the call was in trouble.  A few seconds later he slams the phone and says to me that when he asked the lawyer for the sales price, the guy responded with a question "what kind of sex do you and your girlfriend or wife get into?".  When my partner responded as noted above, the lawyer responded in kind regarding the sales price: "That's a bit personal don't you think", laughed, and hung up the phone.

We never did a deal with this guy, but his response stuck in my mind.  And this is all I am going to say on the revised subject matter.     

Gary Slatter

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
Dornoch is my new favourite that could be played every day without doubt.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Chuck Brown

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
The Old Course, Murifield, North Berwick, Dornoch.  Four very good nominees.
On the odd day when the weather was bad, then Old Prestwick...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
Hiawatha Landing, Red Tail, bayonne...ballyneal, black mesa...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back