News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Fry

Are You a Loner or Into the Group Thing?
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »
As I was sitting in my first Sunday Mass at The University of Notre Dame's Basilica of the Sacred Heart (a cool experience by the way), my mind began to wander.

I've visited the Basilica a number of times with visitors to South Bend and on my own.  The interior of the building is breathtaking.  It's interesting to soak in the atmosphere during quiet periods with no crowds.  It was quite different to experience a full mass with a packed congregation.

It got me thinking about experiencing a new course.  Apart from the social aspect of golf, what would you rather do when evaluating a course:  explore with your own thoughts privately or part of a group with constant interaction?

Ken

C. Squier

Re: Are You a Loner or Into the Group Thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
In a perfect world?  By myself, walking.  Nothing beats the first footprints in the dew or the last car in the parking lot.  But I do enjoy the game with others, especially when architecture is high on the list of discussions.  I find myself getting quieter when playing with people who could care less about architecture.  Its hard to balance my greed with wanting to enjoy the course (especially when it may be my only time playing it) and the need to be a good course-mate. 

In the end, I'll try to make the best out of any situation, but playing a great course by yourself is hard to beat.

CPS

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
Interesting question. If I really want to study a new course I think I would prefer to see it on my own. However, if everyone in the group is seeing the course for the first time and studying the architectural merits I think more could be learned in a group setting. 4 sets of eyes and perspectives are better than one I would imagine. It is pretty rare to get out a group that is all studying at the same time. Usually somebody knows the course and points out many of the salient features of each hole.
   Sometimes the social aspect of seeing courses with a group overwhelms the learning. I probably learned the least of any trip I have been on when I went to Australia/NZ last spring. I was enjoying the camaraderie so much that I wasn't paying nearly as much attention to the courses as I usually do.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
When evaluating, I learn more efficiently with a good teacher. I prefer to be be on the course with someone more knowledgeable than I, but it wouldn't be a group.

When playing, I prefer the group thing, with people less talented than I. (Not really)

;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
If I can choose the people I wish to play a course with, all for the 1st time around it, that is what I prefer.  Otherwise, all by my lonesome, preferably very early or at twilight so I have the place nearly to myself is next on my preference list.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

C. Squier

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
When evaluating, I learn more efficiently with a good teacher. I prefer to be be on the course with someone more knowledgeable than I, but it wouldn't be a group.

When playing, I prefer the group thing, with people less talented than I. (Not really)

;D

Joe

I'll go with that.  When having a local/member as a good guide, that's a big help.  Especially when they can shed light on the changes that happened over the years and some background.  But its a waste if all they talk about is the "signature" 17th hole when you're walking down the 3rd fairway.  Then its just an advertisement. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »
My preference as has been mentioned before is to play with someone who knows the course well. The best guides I've had thus far have been superintendents, as they know their course better than anyone. In any case I think I enjoy having someone else who is interested in golf courses better than just playing alone at a new course. Having someone to discuss things with and hearing another viewpoint adds more depth to my own thoughts and observations. It is also helpful to see someone else challenge a course, especially when I'm not executing well!

Solo course experiences can be very thrilling as well.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »
I almost never play alone. With the action of a match or tournament the game doesn't hold my interest.

The guys I play with are the same way.

Recently our fourth decided to go to Con Expo instead of playing Shadow Creek a second day. The rest of the group went home rather than play a threesome.  Sick ... I know.

John Burzynski

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »
I prefer to play a course for the first time either alone or with someone who knows about the course, its history, and its quirkiness.    Usually I learn little about a course by playing it for the first time with a group.

I love to finish up work for the day around 5PM, on the road a couple of hours from home, stop at a course I haven't played in a while or at all, grab my clubs from the trunk,  pay my green fee, and get paired up with another single out for the evening to play a quick 9 holes.  Almost always the other single on the course plays frequently by themselves on a weekday evening, and they often have tremendous insight into a course, no matter how simple the course is, along with a bit of local flavor.  I may never meet this person again, may never play the course again, but the experience stays with me always.

And to those of you that stop at ND, let us South Benders know, we can play a round somewhere locally.  Today might not have been so good though....45 and rain!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
My favorite thing in the world is the three day invitational.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »
 8) Probably enjoyed more group adventures than loner ones.. in fact on several loner rounds i joined up with folks.. one memorable time at Greenlefe (?sp) outside orlando..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
Mark,

The nine point game was made for threesomes, try it, yu'll like it.

Bob

I almost never play alone. With the action of a match or tournament the game doesn't hold my interest.

The guys I play with are the same way.

Recently our fourth decided to go to Con Expo instead of playing Shadow Creek a second day. The rest of the group went home rather than play a threesome.  Sick ... I know.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
I've enjoyed the tranquility of solo golf in the past, but to answer the question, I think I could learn more about a course the first time around by not only playing my own game but also witnessing the interaction between other players and the course. 

Not only would I get the benefit of the analysis from my playing partners as Ed mentioned, but I would also learn a lot as an observer in seeing how a different playing style/ability interacted with the course.  Every player gets to each hole in a different way and encounters a variety of different experiences along the way.  Unless you're playing 4 balls all the way around with different clubs and approaches, you automatically lose that aspect if you're out there on your own.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:20:59 PM »
When I am playing with my dad on his home course or on a course for the first time I am at my happiest.

Mark_F

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
I probably learned the least of any trip I have been on when I went to Australia/NZ last spring. I was enjoying the camaraderie so much that I wasn't paying nearly as much attention to the courses as I usually do.

That probably explains your overwhelming love for KH, Ed.  :) :)

Mike McGuire

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
Mark,

The nine point game was made for threesomes, try it, yu'll like it.

Bob

Bill-

When you are used to a scotch game - bingo bango bungo is hard to do.

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »
I probably learned the least of any trip I have been on when I went to Australia/NZ last spring. I was enjoying the camaraderie so much that I wasn't paying nearly as much attention to the courses as I usually do.

That probably explains your overwhelming love for KH, Ed.  :) :)

Very funny mister. I never claimed to be rational. :) I wouldn't call it an overwhelming love. I think of it more as a value for architecture versus waiting list issue. In which case KH wins hands down. I would have to be in a big city for my career field otherwise there would certainly be other options.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

tlavin

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »
There was a great book about the increasing number of Americans that are opting out of group activities.  It's called, "Bowling Alone".

As for me, I'm like Jerry Maguire, I can't be alone.  I hate being alone.  And I love being on the golf course with friends, the more the merrier.

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
For me, there's a time and a place for both, though if given a choice, I will always prefer playing with friends.

I do agree with one of the early respondents that there is something special about walking a course alone in the morning. And like Ed, I am more apt to having my attention diverted away from the course if I am enjoying my playing partners (kinda happened at the Hidden Creek outing, actually).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
George (and Ed),

If a golf course ever becomes more important than people, things may be askew in one's life. I'm glad to hear the evidence that the two of you still have your priorities in correct order!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
Over the past several years I have probably played a majority of my golf by myself, and I really enjoy it.  This is most likely due to working maintenance at public courses, and going out just before sunset to play a quick nine or get in as many as I can.  But I have even traveled up to Lawsonia, which is about a 1.5 hour drive away to play twilight by myself.  I've also played it a number of times with friends, but I think that I enjoy it more when I play it by myself.  It is just me and the golf course.  I can just play golf and day dream a bit, but there is little doubt in my mind that you can learn more about a golf course when you play with others.

Brendan 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »
Since the question is about evaluating a new course, it requires a different answer than just experiencing a new course. It is fun to share new experiences. However, in evaluating it is human nature to self edit in a group. Therefore, I believe an evaluation has the possibility of bringing out unique viewpoints if done individually.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Arata

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »
I really dont like to play golf by myself, I would like others to be subjected to my horrible game, why suffer alone?

I really do enjoy playing courses with people who know the course well, (or designed them for that matter!) I just played Tobacco Road with Baxter Spann and Brad Klein, and the education I got just listening to them go back and forth about certain features or what Stranz might have been thinking when building the hole was priceless. They pointed out things that I never would have thought of, and it made me appreciate the course even more. Same thing playing Crystal Downs with Mike DeVries last summer, the things he pointed out on that course were things I would have never  
really noticed during just one or 2 rounds.

Playing golf to me is just as much about the social aspect of getting together with friends and having fun as it is hitting good golf shots (way more important, since I never actually hit any good golf shots)

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »
Greatly depends on the situation.  I played Shoreacres by my lonesome on a drizzly, chilly morning (after two of my so-called Chicago buddies bowed out).  I had the course to myself and loved every minute of it.

Earlier during the same trip, six of us were hosted by two members at Chicago Golf Club and at the turn, the members switched groups so we could all get to know each other.  It could not have been more enjoyable.  And being that one was a great player while the other closer to average, we got two different perspectives.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »
For me the answer lies in Ken's question.

When experiencing a new course, I am typically not there to study it or evaluate it UNLESS I HAVE TO.  I am there to play the great game of golf (at a new venue); and regardless of the venue,  I far, far prefer playing this game with friends than alone.  Like Mark Arata, a lot of the fun of this game for me is the social aspect.  Oh, I am addicted to hitting shots, so I do play alone from time to time, but it's never my preference.

At times I am required to evaluate a course, and at those times - and only those times - it does tend to work better solo.  It's just rarely all that much fun.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back