News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Golf House - Update
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:43:59 AM »
I was over at The USGA's Golf House in NJ yesterday doing some last minute research (or I should say trying to do some last minute research).  Everything is in a transition state (and still very disorganized).  As a heads up for anyone planning to do work there, the library, etc. really isn’t open right now for researchers (one of the librarians, Bruce McBride, was kind enough to accommodate me to do some work as I am pushing to meet a deadline). 

While there, I got to walk through the new museum area and it is looking good but there is lots of work to be finished before the opening on June 3rd.  Everyone there can’t wait until the 4th (if you know what I mean).  They are all working very hard to get things ready.

On a final note, I was told that the archival section of the museum is still waiting direction and decisions are still probably six months off. They are still not sure what will be in there e.g. orginal drawings, digital copies, and so on.  I’m sure it will be great whatever they do and hopefully “researcher friendly”  ;D

Dave Maberry

Re: Golf House - Update
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »
Mark,
Thanks for update. I look forward to visiting. I had planned to visit prior to closure but never got around to it. I was shocked when told it would be closed 2 to 3 years. :(
Dave

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
Mark

When the library is finished, do you know if it will still be browsable?  I heard it might be on an order only basis.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:52:45 AM »
Paul:

I should know about that but frankly I don't. There's a whole lot that'll go into the new Arnold Palmer History Center other than golf architecture stuff. There is the whole issue of their world famous "collectibles" (clubs and balls and such) don't forget.

But the whole idea with text and such is to get the libary way more interactive and useable than it's been in the past. To do that there will need to be a ton of digitizing since they certainly aren't going to ever let masses of people constantly handle old material or it will be ruined.

Most of what we're working on right now is the Internet component of the golf architectue archive but that will take a lot of time to complete. By June 3rd were hoping, at the moment, to just have a couple of really good samples done of what the Architecture Archive will eventually be. It's not going to be complete by June 3rd, that's for sure.  That's just the opening of the building with most of the "Collectibles".

And yeah, guys, if any of you want to do research at the USGA Library in the next couple of months don't just show up, by all means call them first. If you don't your day probably won't be very productive.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:56:31 AM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »
Mark/Paul -

My understanding is that the USGA has a long range program to digitalize most of its periodicals collection. Some is now browsable. The completion of that program is on hold pending the move to the new Palmer Center.

Once things settle down, I hope and believe they will restart that program.

BTW, last I heard construction of the Palmer Center was both under budget and ahead of schedule. 

Bob

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
As Tom said, don't just show up to do research there.  Call or email ahead if you can to make an appointment.  And also, don't go now as they are not accomodating researchers during the move. 

It will be a MAJOR undertaking to digitize everything.  But something needed to be done as it got to the point where you could not scan, photocopy or even take digital photos of any of the older documents in the library.  Anyone who does research will know just how difficult (near impossible) that makes things. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back