News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Level II in Augusta
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »
Brian Hewitt (Golf Channel) just reported.....though Atlanta is under a Level IV water restriction (whatever that is) Augusta has actually had more rain this winter than last winter and therefore is only under a Level II water restriction.

Sorry to be cynical....but does anyone really believe that the city officials or state officials for that matter would ever ring up ANGC and ask them to stop watering the course....I mean seriously, it is a complete double standard, but the Masters Tournament injects so much money into that part of the state I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever impose any serious regulations on ANGC.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:39:09 AM by Chip Gaskins »

John Moore II

Re: Level II in Augusta
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:37 PM »
I would say that the club may be exempt from the restrictions because I would be nearly certain in saying they are on a seperate well and not drawing from municipal resources. But yes, I would say that the government would come to ANGC as easily as they would come to anyone else since the public welfare is far more important that the golf tournament. If the population does not have water to drink, shower, or cook with, does it really matter that the tournament is in town?   But again, I would say its pointless to think about it, ANGC has their own wells and are not on municipal meters.

Adam Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »
This should help answer it:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/071798/spo_MACROS.002.shtml

They pump their own AND use the city water...

The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Justin_Zook

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
My understanding is this...

Augusta built a system that taps into the Savannah River.  It is MASSIVE and it not only serves them, it partially serves the town of Augusta.  Water goes from the Savannah directly to the Augusta National Golf Club, they use what they need, and the rest goes on to the town.

I think the project was financed by the club; if this is so, in certain ways the town kind of "owes them". 
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

Brian Hewitt (Golf Channel) just reported.....though Atlanta is under a Level IV water restriction (whatever that is) Augusta has actually had more rain this winter than last winter and therefore is only under a Level II water restriction.

Sorry to be cynical....but does anyone really believe that the city officials or state officials for that matter would ever ring up ANGC and ask them to stop watering the course....

I do.
Do you have any evidence that city and/or state officials are guilty of malfeasance ?
[/color]

I mean seriously, it is a complete double standard,

For there to be a double standard there has to be conflicting conduct/actions.   Do you have any evidence that city and/or state officials enforced the ban on certain entities and ignored the ban for ANGC ?
[/color]

but the Masters Tournament injects so much money into that part of the state I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever impose any serious regulations on ANGC.

Federal and State Governments inject money into various parts of many states, but, they're not immune from the rule of law, why should ANGC be any different ?

Don't you think that there are individuals and groups just waiting for the opportunity to cite ANGC for some grievance ?
[/color]

JK Moore,

Having their own wells doesn't grant entities immunity from water restrictions.  Wells, like other sources are monitored for their usage.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:16:39 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
The day The Masters becomes more important than the "greater good", mankind is in trouble.
jeffmingay.com

Adam Russell

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
Justin- The Augusta Raw Water Pumping Station is near the National, and perhaps the club payed for a sub-system to pump from the station, but the city has used that same spot and the same system since 1890. It serves the entire city (about 230 square miles).
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back