News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Jack May, founder of Stonewall, passes away at 79
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
I just received word from Stonewall that the founder of the club, Jack May, passed away last weekend.  Mr. May was also instrumental in the founding of Waynesborough Country Club back in the 1960's.  He was a longtime member of Pine Valley and a regular visitor to Dornoch, as well as managing partner in a large Philadelphia law firm.

While Don Hayden at High Pointe was my first client, I have always felt that it was Mr. May's decision to hire us for the first Stonewall course that put my firm up to a different level in the business -- even if it took a few years for anybody else to figure it out.  He was a great client to work with -- he didn't interfere with what we were doing, but he made sure we understood how important it was to him to get it right, with a touch of humor along the way.

I've had a few clients who considered themselves "dreamers" and before Mr. Keiser came on board, Mr. May was the one they all turned to for advice and a reference on me.  The best advice I ever heard him give was NEVER to say that they weren't trying to make money on their project -- because that was practically a guarantee they would lose money, and who the hell would want to invest in a club like that?  He told them that all they needed to say was that they weren't trying to make AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE in the deal, because that alone would make them different from most of the other developers out there.

I will miss him a great deal.  I hope there are more out there like him, but I suspect not too many.  He developed three golf courses and all three of them were just about the golf.

JESII

Re: Jack May, founder of Stonewall, passes away at 79
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »
Tom,

Nice words.

I knew Mr. May very little, which is to say I caddied for him one or two times in the mid-late 90's when I was at Pine Valley.

He is responsible for a humorous story at the expense of my lack of evasiveness...

I went out with him and a few friends off the 10th tee and we went through the back nine in good spirits. His game is not one that demands a detailed analysis to, as a caddy, figure out what he might be able to do...

At thie time, he bunted the ball off the tee about 175 yards in the air with a slight pull-cut so he missed a fairway about once a month I'd guess...

On #2, our 11th, I was out just beyond the road and on the left side where we'd always forecaddy and he hits his typical pull up the left edge of the fairway right where I am standing...175 yards from the tee...so I'm playing it nice and cool waiting for the inevitable 5 yard cut. It doesn't cut!

All of the sudden the ball disappears behind the outer branches of the pine that's right there and reappears coming right at me at about 8 miles per hour (you don't have to hit it hard to hit it 175) but I can't get out of the way. As I'm contorting like and idiot it hits me square on the back of my shoulder.

Needless to say, I was uninjured (except my athletic ego...) and he was mortified...

Really good guy from my very limited time with him.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that. It's hard for me to believe but through all these years in golf and administration (and many tournaments at Stonewall) I never met Jack May but because of Stonewall and what he apparently was to it we all felt his presence around Philadephia golf.

You did really good at the Stonewalls, Tom Doak!

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »

Ditto to Tom Doak on a job well done at Stonewall as his initial foray there is one of the most confusing and intellectual golf courses I have played...very difficult to figure out yet seemingly right in front of you!

Not having met Mr' May...his legacy speaks volumes as to his love of the purer aspects of the game....God Bless to all his family and firiends..and thank you!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:45:42 AM by archie_struthers »

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. May, but thanks for sharing this news and the stories - I think stories like these related by individuals close to them make life immeasurably more interesting.

I've had a few clients who considered themselves "dreamers" and before Mr. Keiser came on board, Mr. May was the one they all turned to for advice and a reference on me.  The best advice I ever heard him give was NEVER to say that they weren't trying to make money on their project -- because that was practically a guarantee they would lose money, and who the hell would want to invest in a club like that?  He told them that all they needed to say was that they weren't trying to make AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE in the deal, because that alone would make them different from most of the other developers out there.

Interesting thinking - says a lot about the man.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Tom - thanks for the sad information.

Stonewall is a wonderful place, and I'm sure they'll miss Mr. May.   

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:35:46 AM »
Tom,

Sorry to hear about this. I know your admiration and appreciation for what Jack May created at Stonewall.

Stonewall will always be a place I wish I could visit from time to time. It's just a really classy place.
Tim Weiman

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
I met him once out at Stonewall. Could not have been more welcoming.

In my mind, Stonewall is what a lot of these moderns clubs are trying to be, (mine included). VERY few seem to be succeeding...

Ron Farris

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
Tom,
It is amazing how many people have viewed this thread and not commented.  I respectfully offer condolences.
I have never met the man or seen the course, but from your words it is evident that he was a very nice gentleman.  The relationship between architect and owner can go many directions.  With the quality of your current work it is unlikely that relationships would sour.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

ChipOat

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
Jack was one of the great "get it done" guys of all time.

Tom Paul:  You never met Jack at Stonewall?  I can't believe you never went outside for a smoke at the same time - he was a 2+ pack/day guy as long as I knew him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back