News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Co Louth. Pictures
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »
Finegan quotes Pat Ruddy as follows “Simpson’s greatest strength as a designer was the ability to create green that were great to look at but devils to play to. His work at Baltray is a prime example of his craft: pulpit tees and plateau greens abound, with surfaces that writhe as though some deeply troubled giant was having a bad sleep beneath those verdant quilts.”

Co Louth (also known as Baltray ) is generally bracketed with Portmarnock, Portrush and Co Down as one of Ireland’s very finest links, yet it is given no time on here compared to the more picturesque links in the West of Ireland.
I had the pleasure of meeting with Ally Mcintosh and John Marrinan who played an epic match there last Friday.  The wind howled, with the radio warning of Gales, but the course remained playable and magnificent throughout.  (Guys there’s a rumour that a very famous course in England cancelled their competition that day – Shurely shome mistake :D)

Due to some recent discussion on here I wasn’t expecting so much movement in the greens but they are fantastic, varied and set at all kinds of angles and levels of blindness. The play a The East of Ireland Championship here and the Irish Open as recently as 2004.  IN Ireland it is appreciated for it’s greatness but not sadly abroad.

Ally and John.

1. A spirited start 454 yards and on the day into the wind.

2 A Par 5, with the strong wind behind Aly turned 482 yards into Driver wedge

3 Another par 5 and a magnificent hole of544 yards.   The green is hidden, well below the level of the fairway.  You have more than the usual dilemma of whether to go for it or not.  A miss to the left will leave you 10’ below the surface of the green

This is also the first of 3 holes with not bunkers. (NB there are 8 holes with no bunker defending the green).  Yards

4 This was the old first, before they built a new clubhouse.  No bunkers just fantastic terrain

5 The first of the short holes and it’s a beauty.

this gives some idea of the contours on the greens.

6 Depending on the wind for the medium/ short hitter, effectively 5out of the first 6 holes are par 5s!

7 another corking par 3

:D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:00:54 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Co Louth. Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »

12 The most celebrated SEQUENCE is the next 3 holes AND there’s not a BUNKER WITHIN 125 YARDS OF EACH GREEN.

(NOTE THE STORM BLOWING OVER AND THE RIANBOW)

16 with aits half hidden green

The match was over and the smile tells the story! John got away to an early lead and while Aly regained ground it was prowess with the putter that made the difference on the day. Till next time.

18.  The 18th I not a bad hole at all.  It seems like many a finisher on a links course, leading you across flattish ground back to the clubhouse.  Mackenzie Ebert’s plans are still on the notice board.

One of the 10 best links I’ve ever walked and I hope to play it this summer (back allowing).

Thanks to Ally and John for a superb day out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:55:03 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
Tony,

Thanks very much for the photos.  I have not had the pleasure of playing Baltray but it's very high on my list.  To reference another thread, it seems like the quintessential hidden gem. 

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »
Its nice to see the course; ;) the day we played there we confronted a 30-40 mph wind and a misty to vigorous sideways rain the entire round.  Given the fact I wear glasses it was like trying to drive a car in a storm without windshield wipers.  We left Portrush that morning and it was raining the entire day.  We finished around 5:00pm and there wasn't a puddle to be seen, the ball continued to run in the fairways and on the greens.  Amazing what links turf can do. 

By the third hole our cards were so soaked we couldn't keep score.  Given the conditions I don't think any of us broke 95.  Regardless we continued our match keeping who was up in our heads and with the match coming down to the 18th hole had as much fun as any day on our trip. 

As Tony notes the par 3's really stand out and the green complexes are wonderful.  Definitely not to be missed if flying in and out of Dublin. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Thank you Tony! I remember sometime ago reading a book by Robert Armstrong and how much he loved the course. So I asked my friend Vinny who was a greenskeeper at The Island and native Irishman about the course and he went on and on about it. Then I watched the Irish Open telecast a couple of years ago when it was played at County Louth and that did it for me.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
I also thank Tony, and Ally and John for sharing a photo journe of their day.  That is the best thing about GCA.com when a fellow takes the time to present us a nice photo journey through a great old golf course.  I'd love to play there someday on the strength of Tony's report and photos.  It sounds like a total blast!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:40 PM »
Played there a couple of years ago.  Stayed in the dormie rooms.  Got guested by a member.  I felt it was really good with some really fun greens and they were in super shape.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »
Tony, I played at Baltray in 2004 shortly before the Irish Open. I found it to be a wonderful links test. I was disappointed as to the cost. When I think of the great value golf in the NW like Ballyliffin for example it is hard to justify 200 euros for a round at Baltray. Just a personal feeling.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:57:40 PM »
There are a handful of cracking holes at Baltray, a good set of 3s and a load of little stuff going on.  Its near on impossible not to enjoy the day there, but the course didn't hold up for me as one of the best in Ireland.  I felt that many of the flatter holes had the same sort of feel about them.  I would like to go back one day, but I fear being sandwiched between Dublin and Co Down cranks up the green fee a bit too much for me to really go out of my way for a game. 

Thanks for posting Tony.  It was especially grand to become re-aquainted with the fabulous 14th.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
A couple of years ago, I set up a trip to Ireland for a buddy o mine and his two grown sons.  I had them stay in the dormy house and play Baltray among others.  They loved Baltray and the stay was one o the highlights of the trip.  I haven't played there since 1996.  Thanks for the pics, it is a grand place.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:45:58 PM »
Baltray is a delightful club to visit. I also stayed in the dorm room in the Clubhouse and would suggest it to anyone visiting.

The only critical comment I will offer is the tee boxes. As in the pictures below they are built up and don't have that seemless link to the surrounding land.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 04:58:59 AM »
Baltray was (along with Enniscrone and Carne) the suprise of my first trip to Ireland.  A great course with two of the better bunkerless short 4's you'll ever see.  4 and 14 sit on the most delightful humpy ground and are the icing on a lovely cake.  I also took a shine to 16 - it's all about the green site. 

Nice to see changes considered for 18.  A runway finish is the only disappointing aspect of the course.  Actually 17 could do with a going over as well  :)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 05:22:41 AM »
Tony there is every truth in the rumour that a famous English links cancelled competitions on the Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend.

Good Friday wa relatively OK with a 25mph bitterly cold northerly winds.

On Saturday morning the guys played in a stiffer breeze and still freezing cold, however by the afternoon the winds were gusting to 60mph and balls were being blown around on the greens making golf impossible. The weather ship at Sandette in the Channel recorded 60mph gusts at 1500hrs and 6 meter (20 feet) waves which is huge for the English channel.

As I'm running the Paris marathon on Sunday week I went for a 15 mile run taking in the links of Deal and Sandwich on Sunday morning. Starting in sunshine and a cool breeze at 9.15, by 10.00 there was light drizzle, at my 10.45 refreshment stop - the halfway hut at Deal !! - it was snowing and 20 minutes later crossing RStG the course was completely white and the few hardy souls on the course were walking in. The p.m. round at Deal was therefore cancelled and the six round Easter knockout finally finished Monday afternoon.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »
Great stuff, Tony.

A Question:  When Finnegan quotes Ruddy as saying that Simpson "create(d)" the "green" (or was it greens?), did he mean find them, or was there actually some significant earth movement involved?  Thanks.

Rich

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
Great pics Tony.

I played there during my trip last July, and it was actually the only round for which I wore shorts!

I liked #3, #4, #6, #12-15 especially, the ground movement is GREAT on these holes.  Highlights included my lone birdie on #7, a 340-yard downwind drive almost to the green on #15, and my meltdown at the end to shoot 79 after a 36 on the front...

I agree that this course for some reason flys beneath the radar, especially in terms of Americans coming over to play.  We actually enjoyed being there enough to hang around at the bar down the street, and had dinner back at the clubhouse.  I would definitely recommend it.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »
Thanks for posting Tony.

I assume from your comments you did not play.  Are you having back problems?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »
Nice post.  I loved Co Louth.  The day I played was the windiest one I have ever experienced.  Putting on 14 was nearly impossible.  You either made the putt or the ball was off the green.  I really  need to get back there.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 03:16:12 PM »
Tony, I played at Baltray in 2004 shortly before the Irish Open. I found it to be a wonderful links test. I was disappointed as to the cost. When I think of the great value golf in the NW like Ballyliffin for example it is hard to justify 200 euros for a round at Baltray. Just a personal feeling.

Jack,

I just checked Baltray's website--it lists greens fees as 125 euro on weekdays and 150 euro on weekends.  That's more palatable to me. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
We played Baltray on our way up north to County Down two summers ago.  Had a great caddy in our group who shepherded the two spray-hitting judges in my group around the course.  Unfortunately, like most great links courses, I wish we'd played the course twice -- there are always so many holes that you wish you had another crack at.  I would definitely put Baltray on my itinerary if (and hopefully when) I get back across the pond. . .

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
Tony

You got to experience the wind, but you missed out on Baltray's ferocious rough, another couple of months and you could lose yourself in it!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

J_ Crisham

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »

Jack,

I just checked Baltray's website--it lists greens fees as 125 euro on weekdays and 150 euro on weekends.  That's more palatable to me. 
Tim, I went back and checked my records and it was a touch over$200 with the exchange rate which was a lot lower back then 1.25 vs 1.55 . Nice course but not in the same league as Portrush or RCD when you factor in cost. Just my opinion-I did truly enjoy the course but not in my top 8 of the 25 or 30 courses I've played in Ireland.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 07:49:43 AM »
Lovely to finally meet Tony and great to get out to Baltray again.

A fun day in the wind.

Whilst I agree that there are some less memorable flat holes on the course, most of these still have lovely positioned green sites (the exception perhaps being the 11th)... It is a favourite course of mine although I hadn't played it since 2001... The stretches from 4 to 7 and 12 to 16 are world class... I stood on the 14th tee and said that I thought this to be my favourite hole in the whole world.

The 18th has also been dramatically improved by MacKenzie and Ebert since my last visit...

Jack_Marr

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »
Yes, it was a pleasure to meet Tony.

A very enjoyable day.

The greens were a strong feature of  the course. 

Very enjoyable. 

John
John Marr(inan)

Ash Towe

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »
Tony,
Thanks for the photos.
How high does this course appear on your list of favourites in Ireland?
What do others think?

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 01:03:39 AM »

As I'm running the Paris marathon on Sunday week I went for a 15 mile run taking in the links of Deal and Sandwich on Sunday morning.

Chappers

if you see a red-head lass running in Paris wearing a Port Adelaide Power t-shirt (Aussie Rules team, colours are black, white and teal blue) say hello to Kay.  She goes to the same gym as I do here in OZ.  You may be quicker - she is aiming for 4.5 hours.

Good luck - small world.

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back