News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: O.T. - The trouble with O.T. threads
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »
Do you feel the same way about O/T posts on legitimate threads, Kyle?

I sort of liked the one Mike Young posted about getting some hookers at the Athens GC to get those guys who think they own the club to come listen to an architecture lecture.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
Do you feel the same way about O/T posts on legitimate threads, Kyle?

I sort of liked the one Mike Young posted about getting some hookers at the Athens GC to get those guys who think they own the club to come listen to an architecture lecture.

Tom,

I've said this before. There are essentially two types of OT threads/posts - those that add a "third dimension" to a poster's personality and tangents about other interests, to me, fall in that category. I love discovering what kinds of people are into this sort of stuff and the differences and similarities between us.

Then there are the OT threads that divide or make people take positions. Why people feel compelled to post such threads or respond to them are beyond me. I was always taught that you never discuss politics or religion in mixed company. These threads also consume the time a poster has. I'd rather someone devote such energy and passion into a golf architecture related thread than an O/T thread.

Perhaps my golf course analogy was flawed. It's really like asking someone to be invited over to dinner, getting the invitation and then insisting on discussing content inappropriate or offensive to the host, then defending your right to do so. 

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 06:39:25 PM »
"It's really like asking someone to be invited over to dinner, getting the invitation and then insisting on discussing content inappropriate or offensive to the host, then defending your right to do so."

Do you mean, like---let's say Tiger felt like being magnanimous and invited Kelly Tilghman over to his house for dinner and she insisted on discussing lynchings in back alleys and then defended her right to do so? 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
"It's really like asking someone to be invited over to dinner, getting the invitation and then insisting on discussing content inappropriate or offensive to the host, then defending your right to do so."

Do you mean, like---let's say Tiger felt like being magnanimous and invited Kelly Tilghman over to his house for dinner and she insisted on discussing lynchings in back alleys and then defended her right to do so? 

Only if Kelly asked Tiger for the invite.

Every poster on here needs to go through Ran first - under the pretense that they have something to contribution to the discussion of golf architecture.

Mike Golden

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »

Only if Kelly asked Tiger for the invite.

Every poster on here needs to go through Ran first - under the pretense that they have something to contribution to the discussion of golf architecture.

Kyle,

I guess, then, that this post was by your evil twin:

Topic: Way O/T: Extra PSU Ticket  (Read 64 times) 

Kyle Harris

We are... Penn State.

Way O/T: Extra PSU Ticket
« on: September 02, 2005, 08:56:51 am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all you PA (OK, NJ too) types, I've got an extra PSU ticket for the Penn State/USF game tomorrow. Game starts at 3:30 and it's best to be in State College before noon.

I've got free parking too, and if you can spend some time there, we can work in some golf either later today or Sunday. 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:00:57 am by Kyle Harris » 

I guess I'm in the minority here.  After over 10 years of golf architectural design discussion and meeting lots of people who participate I feel like the community that comprises this DG is just as important as the discussion topic.  After all, it is the relationships that have developed through this site that have enhanced the appreciation of the topic far beyond the sometimes back biting, argumentative posts that take up so much bandwidth.  I can only speak for myself, but finding people around the world with a similar perspective and then having the opportunity to share time at our favorite  pastime is priceless.  How many times have we met people with very different views on life and been able to find commonality about golf?  So, if it takes a thread about college football to bring out once or twice a year what is the big deal?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:23:55 PM by Mike Golden »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
Mike,

My efforts to both bring attention to, and restore, the White Course at Penn State by Willie Park, Jr. are both germane and in topic with this site and are also well-known to many involved. If you'll read above, I support the "third dimension" O/T posts that add depth to personality. I think my invitation for a free ticket to a PSU game in 2005, where the team ended up being #3 that season falls under that category.

And my God - I was being nice... not baiting people into political prick waving.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:25:57 PM by Kyle Harris »

Mike Golden

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
Mike,

My efforts to both bring attention to, and restore, the White Course at Penn State by Willie Park, Jr. are both germane and in topic with this site and are also well-known to many involved.

And my God - I was being nice... not baiting people into political prick waving.

Kyle,

I am not doubting your passion or contribution to this site, it is admirable.  But you said that any posts off topic have no place on the DG.  I was just pointing out one such post of yours from 2005 as an example to support my position that it's no big deal, if Ran doesn't want them on the DG he can easily change the policy.

Wayne_Freedman

Re: O.T. - The trouble with O.T. threads New
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »
One cannot live, intellectually, on golf architecture, alone.

Apologies to Professor Patrick Mucci, author of esoteric essay questions.

That guy goes deep.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:40:24 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back