News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Larry_Keltto

Family golf destinations?
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
I need some advice.

My wife and I have two daughters, ages 10 and 7. The girls so far have enjoyed group golf lessons, going to the range, and playing a handful of holes at a time. All of their experiences have been positive and they think golf is fun.

I would like to take the family to a destination:

-- where golf is the focus
-- which has golf courses that are fun for people of all ages and abilities (by this I mean courses that range from a full-length course to an interesting shorter course, to a par 3 course)
-- which has outstanding practice/learning facilities
-- which has accommodations and dining designed with families in mind
-- which has non-golf amenities activities designed with families in mind

Does such a place exist? If so, how good is the golf architecture? How expensive is it?

If such a place does not exist, why doesn’t it? What would it take to make such a destination viable?

Mike Salinetti

Re: Family golf destinations?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
Hilton Head Island, SC.  Golf is the focus. Many family activities, the beach, mini golf, boating, fishing.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
Disney World?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
Larry:

Given what you just said a few recommendations ...

* Kiawah Island (SC) is extremely tough to beat on a range of fronts. Best of all,  you have the great city of Charleston no more than a 45-minute ride from the Island. Top notch golf and plenty of non-golf adventures for those looking for a multi-dimensional vacation.

* A sleeper choice can be St. George, UT. Has plenty of affordable and good golf options -- ditto you can detour to nearby Mesquite, NV (30 minutes away via I-15). You also have close enough visits to a wide variety of national parks from the likes of Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National. Food options are plentiful and the prices are well within range of nearly all budget levels. Fly into Vegas and the ride to St. George is no more than two easy driving hours to get there.

JeffTodd

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
Hilton Head Island, SC.  Golf is the focus. Many family activities, the beach, mini golf, boating, fishing.
That is a good choice. There's a nice family atmosphere, a definite golf-vibe to the place, and many courses with kid-friendly policies, including discount green fees and kid's tee boxes that equate to courses of 2000 yards or so.

Disney World?
Disney is not a great choice, imo. Surprisingly, the courses are not particularly kid-friendly. In fact, I don't recall a kid discount or kid's tees on any of the courses except for the walking-only nine hole course (Oak Trail, iirc). That leaves you with triple digit green fees for some very average golf in a place where golf is clearly not the primary focus. 

Peter Nomm

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:04:53 PM »
I'd concur with Matt's St. George recommendation - there are some reasonably priced fun courses and a lot of other things to do.

www.golfmesquitenevada.com can help.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
Kingsmill Resort- 3 regulation courses, a 9hole par 3 course, LOTS of family activities there and nearby
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »
I haven't checked it out but I've read that the Hyatt Hill Country in San Antonio is doing some family-friendly golf activites. Plus Sea World is close by so why the wife and kids go there you can sneak down the street to Briggs Ranch.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
Whistler has some family weekends each year where they put out tees at 150 yards and let kids play at a discount, or maybe even free, with adults. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »
Hilton Head is a favorite destination for my family. My kids love the beaches ,pools, great biking trails etc. The advantage over Kiawah is that at HH restaurants are within 5 minutes. At Kiawah the options are limited and the drive into Charleston is a pain in the ass. Kiawah is less crowded but also pricier. You can rent a very nice condo in Palmetto Dunes for $2000 a week ,2bdrm on the ocean. 3 decent courses  to play. Sea Pines is also nice  and probably more to do down there in the evenings with your kids. Great sunset cruises  out on the Calibogue Sound-I'm biased with regards to HH-great family memories.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »
Lansdowne Resort in Virginia also works.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »
Although the resort itself doesn't have multiple courses, the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC is one of the great family resorts in the U.S.  The historic hotel is something special, as is the Biltmore Mansion nearby.  There is hiking, sightseeing, and the town of Asheville is delightful.  Make sure you stay in one of the historic rooms in the hotel, as opposed to the newer more contemporary wings.  Incidently, the Grove Park has, as I understand, one of the largest private collections of period mission and arts & crafts furnishings in the U.S. 

The golf course is a classic Ross layout, restored in the past 6-7 years or so.  I visited a few years ago, also mostly for the golf, when our girls were of a similar age - and we all loved it.  There are several other golf options nearby as well.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
Hilton Head is hard to argue with, but if you want a Cape Cod vacation with 36 holes on the ocean, rent a cottage at http://www.newseabury.com/

I think they make you a member for your vacation week and there are lots of other golf options on CC.

http://www.golfcapecod.com/

Never been up there, and it it is way up there but The Balsams, NH probably fits your profile. 9 hole course for the family and 18 hole GCA approved Ross course for the Dean Guy fan.

http://www.thebalsams.com/golf.aspx

I hear similar stuff about Lake Placid Club which has 45 holes:

http://www.lakeplacidcp.com/

Don Hyslop

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 06:10:14 AM »
One could do no better than to bring a family to Prince Edward Island where the courses and the beaches are great. Cavendish, a small town which is the center of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables, has enough family activitities based on that theme to keep one busy for several days. There are also four championship courses in the area one of which is the newly renovated Green Gables (originally a Thompson design recently renovated by Thomas McBroom) which will reopen in July.  Nearby Summerside and Charlottetown also have live theatre which includes excellent musicals on the life of Anne of Green Gables. Also just a short drive away(everything seems a short drive in PEI) is the great course the Links at Crowbush Cove which is a must play while on the Island. Also on the Island is the Canadian Golf Academy a great teaching facility: 
http://www.golfpei.ca/course_descriptions/course_academy.html

Check out:

http://www.golfpei.ca/opening.html

http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/search/chooser.php3?thetype=attract

http://www.cavendishbeachresort.com/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:23:30 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Turnberry, Scotland, has:
a championship course
an updated second course
an easier third course
a links academy with full practice facilities and tuition
a hotel with spa, swimming pool and other leisure facilities

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
Turnberry, Scotland, has:
a championship course
an updated second course
an easier third course
a links academy with full practice facilities and tuition
a hotel with spa, swimming pool and other leisure facilities

But it ain't cheap.

Bob

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
Here at Kiawah Island, we've embrased the family option.

Kiawah Island’s Family Tee program runs all summer long beginning at the end of May through the start of September on Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Oak Point.  Starting times are on 15-minute intervals from 6pm and 7:30pm allowing plenty of time between groups so players don’t feel pressured.  Family Tee tee markers are set in each fairway so no hole is longer than 250 yards.  Everyone in the group – mom, dad and the kids – play from that set of tees.  Adults pay $45 per round and children under 17 play free of charge.  Children must be accompanied by an adult and vise versa. 

The resort has added junior club sets to its rental program and created scorecards for the courses where the family course setup was incorporated.

This program creates a lot of goodwill and helps us build our future customer base.  And, as an added benefit, it helps alleviate the ‘guilt factor’ for parents who spend their mornings on the course by allowing them quality family time in the afternoons.”

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to returning to Kiawah when my son is old enough to play. His first visit there he was still in my wife's tummy. :) In fact, I think Mike Vegis was the first person I told of our good news, as I wanted to tell my family in person!

There are very good options for play for beginning golfers - and there's the Ocean Course for the better player. There are some very reasonable lodging rates for families as well. Plus, Charleston is very close by. All in all, a terrific place to vacation.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Krueger

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
How about Myrtle Beach. You have the beach, lots of hotels to choose from, many places to eat, putt putt courses at night and decent courses.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »

Casa de Campo!

The golf is very family friendly - especially the links course inbetween rounds on the teeth.

I wouldn't bring the famliy to Dye Fore however.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

hhuffines

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
How about Hershey? 

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
PGA Village at Port St. Lucie is a good choice.  It includes three decent golf courses, a huge range/learning center, and a nine hole pitch and putt with astroturf tees and cool little greens.  Accomodations are in relatively new condos and reasonably priced.  It is a short drive to the water.

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »
I'm not sure where you are going but in Minnesota the Brainerd area has some resorts that would fit your criteria:

Maddens
Grand View Lodge

Both have great practice facilities, short courses and northwoods recreation opportunities in old style resorts designed for families.  I've stayed at both places with the kids and enjoyed them very much.

Doug Wright

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Here at Kiawah Island, we've embrased the family option.

Kiawah Island’s Family Tee program runs all summer long beginning at the end of May through the start of September on Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Oak Point.  Starting times are on 15-minute intervals from 6pm and 7:30pm allowing plenty of time between groups so players don’t feel pressured.  Family Tee tee markers are set in each fairway so no hole is longer than 250 yards.  Everyone in the group – mom, dad and the kids – play from that set of tees.  Adults pay $45 per round and children under 17 play free of charge.  Children must be accompanied by an adult and vise versa. 

The resort has added junior club sets to its rental program and created scorecards for the courses where the family course setup was incorporated.

This program creates a lot of goodwill and helps us build our future customer base.  And, as an added benefit, it helps alleviate the ‘guilt factor’ for parents who spend their mornings on the course by allowing them quality family time in the afternoons.”

Strike my comment re Disney World. Kiawah is great and I'd forgotten about the family golf that Mike describes. A really fun family vacation resort without the Mouse Madness.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »
I have been to Kiawah at least 5 times and 4 times to Hilton Head and I prefer Kiawah.  The first time at Kiawah was my wife, who hates golf, giving in to me thinking that it wouldn't be much fun.  Boy was she surprised.  It is so relaxing and you can bike anywhere, there are nature trails, crabbing, a nature center, kids events in the evening, the best beaches with a gradual dropoff and usually pretty calm.  If you go, stay near Night Heron Park where things are happening for the kids and there is a nice pool when you're tired of the beach.  Charleston is great and a fun city to tour and dining is really good. There is a shopping area at the entrance to Kiawah which is a nice addition and just outside the gate is the Red Sky Grill which is top notch and not overpriced. 

Hilton Head is also really good but there's a lot of traffic and biking is questionable for kids.  There are good restaurants and nice beaches and the courses do welcome kids, but you should consider playing late afternoon. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back