News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Davis or Dunn?
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »
For a number of years, the history of Shinnecock Hills that I've heard is that Royal Montreal pro Willie Davis designed the first course there.

However, I'm presently reading H.B. Martin's "Fifty Years of American Golf" which includes a first-hand account of Willie Dunn discussing his design work there for Vanderbilt, et.al.

Does anyone know the true story, and interrelationship between the two Willie's?

wsmorrison

Re: Davis or Dunn?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
David Goddard did a nice job discussing the early years of golf at Shinnecock.  I will share the history with you sometime, Mike.  But for now, Davis did the earliest design work then Dunn did some redesigning and additions.  That was a style of architecture that few would consider very good today, but it sure is interesting. 

We have pretty much completed the architectural history of Shinnecock through the present day.  I feel given the information currently available, we know as much as possible about the architectural history of that great club.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »
Apparently, not all that long ago someone who works for the USGA found some irrefutable documentation that one of those Willies was lying through his teeth. When that lying Willie was confronted with it he tried to weasel his way out of it but saying: "I only said that Willie did it."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
Thanks, Wayne and Tom...

Man...I'm loving researching this earliest stuff...it's amazing how incestuous and interconnected all these pieces are.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back