News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

What length and type of hole will offer you the most options?
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »
Let's limit this to 600 yds just for arguments sake.  Also note that a 475 yd hole offers the same options if it is a par 4 or 5.

Bill_McBride

Re: What length and type of hole will offer you the most options?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »
You should probably include width as well as length, that always affects the available options.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
You should probably include width as well as length, that always affects the available options.

Bill,

This is golf, it is not an option to go 300 yds right on a 300 yd hole.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »
John -

options is such a loaded word, it just dawned on me.

I'd ask: How many ways does a better golfer have to beat me? What types of holes offer the most ways? What's left?

A short but not driveable Par 4.  No fairway bunkering. A medium-sized green of medium undulation, guarded by heavy rough on the preferred side but open on the other.

Does that hole provide the most options? I don't know. But it provides my best chance at a half against a better player.

Peter   

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:14:10 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
I didn't say how wide, just width.  Obviously the wider the fairway the more you can seek the best angle into the green or other target.

Remind me why I occasionally respond to your potentially aggravating posts.  ???

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »
For me it's right at 500 yards. And I say width decreases options.

A narrow 500 yard hole gives the option of playing a conservative drive and second shot, or trying to place two accurate long shots, or a combination thereof
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »
a 300 yard par 4 (not that par matters) with a split fairway - upper and lower - the green being at the end of the upper.  Fairways seperated by bunkers.  Green on a plateau with bunkers beyond the green.

You can go for the green or play safe into the lower fairway.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
I didn't say how wide, just width.  Obviously the wider the fairway the more you can seek the best angle into the green or other target.

Remind me why I occasionally respond to your potentially aggravating posts.  ???

Because you believe in rehabilitation of the chronically obtuse?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Allan Long

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
When I think about a hole with multiple options, #3 at Rustic Canyon comes to mind.

Playing anywhere from 290-315 with a split fairway, the player has an option on which route they want to take to the green as well as how much club they want to hit from the tee.

It's a hole I would enjoy palying over and over because there is no one way to play the hole, and depending on tee placement, wind, etc., one always has those decisions to make standing on the tee.

I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:50:33 PM »
Great question and I think about it often.

Knowing that while shots generally get progressively harder as length increases, but there seems to be a decrease in comfort somewhere around 180 yards for most players, I think par 4 tee shots or par 5 hole (second shots) where the optional route shortens the next shot from over to under about that amount work best for layup options.  JMHO
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »
Probably a short par five that's in the form of a cape hole.

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
I think a 290 hole with a large landing area at about 240 yards that narrows down to not more than 15 yards wide going into the green. Bunkers on each side of the run-up to the green and run off areas on all other sides. This gives the longer player the chance to go for the green but the shorter player can hit into a large fairway and have an easy pitch to the green.

JESII

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
Options to do what?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
Holes like the 13th at Augusta, immediately sprang to mind. Perhaps hole with features and movement that allow, and beg, the golfer to be creative, no matter where they hit it?   Dictated routes are usually the least option filled. Aren't they?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:05:38 AM »
John:

From a designer's perspective, I think you can be most creative in designing short par-4 holes -- not necessarily driveable par-4's, but anything under say 380 yards.  Since the hole is birdie material for a good player and may also offer the opportunity of par for the short hitter, the architect seems to get more leeway to include uncoventional features that spice up the difficulty -- anything from multiple fairways to partially blind shots to wild greens to the wall at North Berwick.

The same features on a 450-yard hole will be criticized excessively, although I would still defend their use on occasion.  And even on a short par-5, these types of features may be heavily criticized by long hitters who feel that "if I reach the green with two great shots I should be able to get down in two more".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back