News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Rich

Old Course - Prior to defined Tee Surfaces
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »
Does anyone have any imagery (historic photo, diagrams, etc...) that show the Old Course prior to tee surfaces being defined seperate from the greens?

Jason Topp

Re: Old Course - Prior to defined Tee Surfaces
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
Not sure whether any of these show teeing grounds but they are interesting pictures from University archives showing the Old Course in the 1800's

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
Here is an odd one of 18 green.  It says "registered in 1935."  The valley of sin looks different here

Kevin Rich

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »
Kelly

Thanks for the links and book reference.  Big help.

G Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
valley of sin is flooded in that photo, is it not? :-P

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
To those of you that might be interested I have on my copies some names of those on the old photos.

Swilken Bridge Photo –  a young Old Tom Morris to left had side, Allan Robertson on  bridge watching Major Boothby playing. Also has anyone noticed anything unusual regards the bridge – look at a modern photo and notice how high it is against the surrounding fairways. Date is late 1850’s

Outside the Club House (reading left to right) – R Chambers, Dunn, Clark,W Thompson,  Marjoribamss, G Campbell, Capt Sengeli, S Thompson, Cowie, R Hay, J O Fairlie, Tom Morris, Sir T Moncrieff, W Hamilton, Sir Hugh Playfair, G Glamis, Allan Robertson,  J Melville, Williamson, Martin, Capt Mann,  J Stewart and  D Wallace. Date around 1857-8

Third Picture Bunker – Sorry don’t have this photo.

Group of Golfers (reading left to right) – J Wilson, B Andrews, W Dunn, W Park, Allan Robertson, D Anderson, Tom Morris and Bob Kirk. Date of photo around 1860

Last photo – sorry don have this either.

The writing is old and difficult to read, but I think I have listed all the name.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back