News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BVince

American Lake Golf Club VA - now with ABC world news video
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »
I just took a visit to the American Lake Veterans Golf Club in Lakewood, Washington (right outside of Fort Lewis) and to say the experience was remarkable is an understatement.  It is one of the few times that I was literally moved by golf and it was not due to outstanding Golf Course Architecture.

What golf provides at this course is hope, laughter, and fun.  On this typical Tuesday morning, the course was packed with disabled Veterans from all branches of service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, etc.) sharing in the golfing experience.  Most of these Vets were wounded in our nation's wars from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and places in between.   Some of the golfers are using special disabled carts where they can swivel the seat to swing the club.  These seats also have hydraulic attachments built in to stand the disabled golfer upright using support straps to allow for a full swing.  They allow these special carts to be driven into the bunkers and on the greens to facilitate the disabled to play each hole.  Special volunteers play with these Vets to help them along during the process.

It that was not remarkable enough, the golf course is ENTIRELY volunteer operated.  That’s right, these DISABLED Veterans are mowing greens, fairways, raking bunkers, conducting maintenance, installing irrigation, and other golf course related upkeep.  Not one of these guys make money for their effort.  In 1995, the US Government decided to stop funding all VA Golf Courses and when it did all of the courses began to suffer.  However, a group of supporters got together to fundraise to keep the course going.  I am glad they did! 

The course is a 9 hole golf course...they would love to make it a full 18, but that is not in the foreseeable future.  The also have a 3 hole starter course on the driving range for players to get used to the carts/equipment before graduating to the 9 hole course. 

Although they are doing ok supporting the cause, they still need help.  I am asking that if you guys have any clubs collecting dust in the closet or garage and would like to donate them to disabled Veterans....please message me and I will personally see that they find a new purpose in helping a war hero enjoy the game of golf.  If you would like to help in any other way, please message me and I will make any necessary coordination. 

Thanks for your time in reading this thread. 

A little background about myself.  I played collegiate golf for USMA at West Point and served as a Tank Platoon Leader in Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-06.  I do not speak on behalf of the Government and this is entirely a personal way to help give back to those who gave so much.

More information about the Golf Club and pictures:
http://www.friendsofalvgc.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:04:52 PM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Joe Hancock

Re: American Lake Golf Club VA
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »
Bryon,

That's a neat story. Thanks for sharing a different perspective on the game, which never seems to lose it's ability to be diverse.

Thanks for your service to us, your fellow countrymen.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »
Bryon,

Thank you so much for sharing that story.  Nothing is too good for these guys.  The least I can do is get some equipment together and ship it to an address you provide.   Please let me know. 
Respectfully yours,
Wayne

BVince

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Wayne, Joe, and Others,

Thanks for the interest in supporting the cause.  If anyone else wants to help, just send me a message or post it on this thread and I will surely reply.  Someone asked about other ways they could help.

If you are in the WA area and want to give a lesson, these guys eat that opportunity up.  I plan on helping these guys with their swings and other aspects of their game.  If you would like to donate money, I will find more out in a meeting on 11 MAR 08 on how to do that.  But please just let me know how you are interested and I will figure out how to make it happen.  Donations are tax deductable and I will get that information to anyone that is interested.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
Byron,
Thank you so very much for this thread. I will drop by my local association tomorrow and check with them. I was going there anyways. Unfortunately we just had a garage sale, but there is always Goodwill and Play It Again Sports.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
bump

Thanks for telling us this inspiring story. Please update us after your 3/11 meeting.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
Bryon,

Please let me know how and where I can ship clubs.

Thanks

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
I remember when I played with Tommy and Cos they talked a lot about this.

I know Tommy is no longer a member here, but he talked about this facility and course in the highest respect.  It is a great oppurtunity to give back to those people that did the same for us, and our country.  This really is a cool thing they have going.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
Bryon,

Okay the John Riley irons and wedges are on their way to you. Two putters also. Hopefully they will be put to better use by the troops than by me.  :D

As you may have heard by reference around here, they will be custom fitted for the larger size soldiers.

I will try to find my old woods this weekend and send them.

BVince

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
Fantastic...thanks for everything Mike.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
Bryon,
Do you know if this is SOP at all VA courses? And would they appreciate any TV crews dropping by? Jesse Jones could help out in that department.

BVince

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
Pete, I am pretty sure it is the same for all of the departments.  Let me ask about the TV coverage...I think the would be amazing but thats not my call.  Great idea...I will bring it up

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »
I've been carrying a bag tag from American Lake for quite some time.  I'm sure the information is on the website, but basically for a $100 donation you get a hat, a bag tag and the satisfaction of knowing you have suported a great and noble cause. 

Think of a situation where a player confined to a wheelchair/cart hits his/her ball into a bunker.  How do you make the shot where it lies?  The bunkers need to be adapted to entry and exit for those folks. 

Recently, a cover was added to the driving range.  It rains in Lakewood/Tacoma and while wheel chair bound vets waited for lessons or during a chance to hit, the rain would collect in the seats of the chairs where they are confined.  Take just a second to think of that situation.

A long time friend of mine, Pepper Roberts, has done a lot of the work of putting this together.  They could use some professional help from architects.  Their equipment is very old and they could use some newer mowers. 

Come to think of it, I'm about due to write them a check. ;)

BVince

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »
WH, you make a great point.  While I was out at the course the manager told me that they were trying to move the greens to make sure that the wheelchair carts would have enough room to turn around and navigate safely.  The covered driving range looks great, it is almost complete and they were getting a lot of use out of it.  They are also building a little pavilion with picnic tables and a kitchenette for snacks and coffee that will also provide a nice area during tournament use.  Most of the work is being done by Contractors but the Vets are very involved in the project.  Some are doing all of the electrical work themselves.

Some of the clubs in the local area are very generous.  One club wrote them a $10000 check for the purchase of brand new range balls.  Various club professionals come out during the tournaments and offer advice and lessons free of charge.

The biggest joy is providing a place for injured warriors to learn the game of golf.  They have four big tournaments a year out at the club.  Two are dedicated for the Soldiers recently injured in the war and the other two are fundraiser events.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 02:07:57 AM »
YouTube has a 10+ minute promotional video for Friends of American Lake.
Take the time to watch!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqBg0jbPJ1Y

Also, below is a link to a 2005 Seattle Post-Intelligencer article about American Lake. It has all the contact information, and a lot more information.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/golf/219702_nwgolfamlake13.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:22:36 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 06:17:33 AM »

Here are the The Big Guy's clubs being used by a Big Guy!

Bryon,

Thanks for the picture. I buried my 88 yer old uncle yesterday. The Navy sent out a team to play taps. It is the least I can do. I found my woods this weekend, they are in the mail today.

Gentleman of GCA,

Knowing the obsessive compulsive types that hang out here, there has to be a few old drivers and putters that can be put to better use than an old closet!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:21:21 AM by Mike Sweeney »

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 01:44:55 PM »
bumping
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BVince

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
GCA forum,

I wanted to update this thread with some positive news about the Veteran's golf club.  ABC World News came out and spent the day at the course collecting film and compiling a piece that was aired around the first of the month.  This link is as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_kJKyxL49c

I am close to the end giving a lesson to one of my Veteran friends.  At this time there is not a need for more golf clubs.  I received about 20 sets of old and new golf clubs and donated them to Mike Kearney (the club manager) for any disabled vets wanting to begin the game we all enjoy.  Thank you to all of the GCAers that gave to this cause.

Other news, they raised enough funds to build a new club house and they are going to build a second nine to the golf couse making it a full 18 hole facility.  Most of the labor and architecture for these projects is volunteered keeping cost low.  Their biggest concern is financial support, not only to build these new projects, but also to maintain them.

CPT Bryon Vincent
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:26:29 PM by Bryon Vincent »

BVince

Re: American Lake Golf Club VA - now with ABC world news video
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »
bump...apparently Wie threads are more popular

PThomas

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
wow, i missed this thread til today

if the need for clubs arises again Bryon pls let us know!
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Ed Oden

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:48 AM »
I've been meaning to post this for a few days but it took me awhile to dig up the link.  ESPN had an "Outside the Lines" segment on American Lake last weekend... http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5768302  Bryon, please let us know if there is a need for any further club donations.  Hopefully, there is a Vet still enjoying a set of DCI irons with a chip on the sole of the 7 iron.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a few days but it took me awhile to dig up the link.  ESPN had an "Outside the Lines" segment on American Lake last weekend... http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5768302  Bryon, please let us know if there is a need for any further club donations.  Hopefully, there is a Vet still enjoying a set of DCI irons with a chip on the sole of the 7 iron.

Thanks for posting that Ed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back