News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Cybergolf Article by Jeff Shelley on Pasa Restoration
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
Here's Jeff Shelley's article from Cybergolf.

http://www.cybergolf.com/indexgenerator.asp?newsid=5916
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:26:32 PM by Jay Flemma »

BVince

Re: Pasa Restoration complete
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:36:19 PM »
I am getting to play Pasa in about 3 weeks.  I am pumped to see and play the finished product.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »
Also discussed previously ...

Pasatiempo restoration complete - Nov 2007
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
Well, Jeff has done a nice job writing it up and Pasa is important enough a course to have continued discussions.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »

I believe Jay's propensity for starting threads on previously discussed topics has also already been discussed.  ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tony Petersen

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
Timely reminder considering the upcoming Kings Putter VI... ;)

Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »

I believe Jay's propensity for starting threads on previously discussed topics has also already been discussed.  ;D

I think some is trying to drive up their blog or website rankings ;)

Joe Perches

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »

I think the point that Mike is making is that the GCA search capability is _much_ better now and it would be useful if people would search for and post on old thread topics before posting a new thread.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »

I think some is trying to drive up their blog or website rankings ;)

I'm sorry, Mike, but I'm confused...who is trying to drive up who's blog or website rankings?  I most certainly am not, by linking to a cybergolf article written by Jeff Shelley.  You know...if a friend of yours started this thread, you'd be running to tell people to go check it out... ;)

By the way, you misled everyone in your earlier post.  The old thread was NOT called "Pasa restoration complete."  It was called "Pictures of the pasa restoration."  SO it's not the same thread at all.  You should really be careful..you might give someone else the wrong impression you already have. 

Jeff Shelley is a fine man and an well-liked writer.  His work deserves to be discussed here just like any other person who writes on GCA - whether they are a friend of Mike Benham's or not.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:02:28 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
Jay:  Mike can certainly speak for himself, but I believe his point was you've been starting quite a few threads lately that are more or less old news.  The Pasa restoration is certainly such, as many of us have played the course since the most recent work was completed.  You've done some others as well.  It just does get weird when this is repeatedly done.

I believe you when you say Jeff Shelley is a fine man, and I can see he can write.  He's just not givingany of us any news, that's all.  Perhaps if you change the title to "Pasa Restoration - Jeff Shelley's take" then no eyebrows would be raised.

Just my two cents, anyway.  I'm darn excited, I get to play the course next week.  But after I do, I sure as heck won't come in here telling the GCA world about the Pasa restoration... I believe they already know.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
Jay,

Given all the off topic posts started on this site never worry about being duplicitous on a architecture topic.  I took this quote from the article and wonder why Hollins failed at her goal of creating the finest course west of the Mississippi.

"Shortly thereafter Hollins began work on Pasatiempo, with the stated intent of building the finest golf course west of the Mississippi."

Jed Peters

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
  I took this quote from the article and wonder why Hollins failed at her goal of creating the finest course west of the Mississippi.

The trees between 6 and 7.

And,

Whaaaaa

Jay Flemma

Re: Cybergolf Article by Jeff Shelley on Pasa Restoration
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »
Tom, I think everyone WOULD want to hear about what you thought of the restoration.  I know I would. 

I did change the title of the thread though.

John, Like Augusta National, Pasa had terrible financial problems during the depression.  It nearly crippled the club altogether.  We're lucky Pasa survived and luckier still that it's public.  I just wish we could halt the runaway greens fees.  It was $165 three years ago - high already - but now it's over $200.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
Jay - I think the title makes more sense now.  As for my thoughts on Pasa restoration, see that's the point -I (and several other people) already gave such a few months ago.  Reiterating them now, well... if I see anything different perhaps I might comment.  But to me it remains old news.

In any case, our "King's Putter" event includes one round at Pasa.  It's in late April.  I feel confident many will have much to say then.

Now as for Pasa prices, don't get me started.  Yes, it is cool it's semi-private and us peons can still play.  But the club surely does know what the market will bear... my friend, when I first started playing the course I paid $25.

TH

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
The whole point in mentioning the price was to get you started.  Every time you start talking about more walking, less money you are more spot on than a ketchup stain on a starched white dress shirt.

You know, the wrong Huckabee ran for president! ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
Forget the US presidential election, we got better fish to fry.

He needs to run for San Fran Mayor so we can get Lincoln Park fixed and get the match play contest moved there.  The ratings would be sky high and the matches well attended in a truly world class location.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

He needs to run for San Fran Mayor so we can get Lincoln Park fixed and get the match play contest moved there.  The ratings would be sky high and the matches well attended in a truly world class location.

You all don't want me in any position of power.  I'd have no clue what to do.  And as you can see with my last post to Kavanaugh in the latest Bandon thread, I do have a limit of patience.

That Huckabee guy does need to learn to spell his name.   ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »

You all don't want me in any position of power.  I'd have no clue what to do.  And as you can see with my last post to Kavanaugh in the latest Bandon thread, I do have a limit of patience.

That Huckabee guy does need to learn to spell his name.   ;)

I got you covered Huck.

You win the election, I'll be the muscle behind the scenes getting all the stuff done.  Then you can get in front of the cameras for the dog and pony show and take all the credit.  American politics 101 stuff here, nothing more!!  ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

By the way, you misled everyone in your earlier post.  The old thread was NOT called "Pasa restoration complete."  It was called "Pictures of the pasa restoration."  SO it's not the same thread at all.  You should really be careful..you might give someone else the wrong impression you already have. 

Jeff Shelley is a fine man and an well-liked writer.  His work deserves to be discussed here just like any other person who writes on GCA - whether they are a friend of Mike Benham's or not.

Jay - You are correct, the old thread was not titled "Pictures of pasa restoration", its called "Pasatiempo Restoration Photos" by Rob Babcock, so your accuracy is a tad off too. 

If you took the time to read and retain Rob's initial post, the first sentence says "FYI, Before/After/Original photos of the recently restored Pasatiempo holes 13, 16, 17, and 18 are now online at the Pasatiempo web site:" which implies that the restoration is in fact complete.

Rob also gives information and answers questions about the cost of the project and why it was done.  It seems many aspects of the restoration were discussed.

My issue, as simple as it might be, is that pulling up the old thread that had photos and discussion on the completed Pasatiempo restoration, and posting the link to the article would have enhance the old thread and brought additional discussion from all the data provided.

What makes you pull the "a friend of Mike Benham or not" crap, what is that about?

Mike

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »
Mike, I didn't start this thread to argue with you and nobody wants to read arguments anyway.  If you really wanna know why I feel that way, contact me off list and we can discuss it further, but the short answer is you yell at me about starting what you feel are duplicate threads, but ignore when other do it - for example sevillano links. 

You sternly called me out for offering a duplicate thread on sevillano, but when JS started a new pics thread right after, you chimed into the discussion, but gave the extra thread issue a pass.  That makes me feel like you have one set of rules for me and another set for the same circumstances for everyone else.  If you wanna gripe about duplicate threads, do it to everyone, not just me.  But you called me out twice, yet let it go in another instance.  If you had another reason for doing that, please let me know, I'll be glad to listen.  But when you call me out for something, then let someone else go on the exact same issue, what other reasonable conclusion can be drawn?

This thread discusses Pasa and how players who have been there recently think it plays compared to the past.  If you can contribute to the discussion, great...but I've read all your posts and you haven't said one word about the golf course, not one.  So why are you on this thread if you don't have any interest in furthering the discussion?  Why do you want to suppress my holding another discussion of Pasa or sevillano, but have no issue with others holding extra discussions on Sevillano, all the while also calling me out for offering up a new thread.  That's why I made a pint about it in my last post, Mike.  Maybe you never meant it this way, but it looks like you are saying these people get one set of rules, but these have another and that's not right.

I second Kalen's endorsement...after all, Tom Huckaby is a great American ;D

Tom, in what ways do you feel the changes to Pasa enhance the experience of playing the course?  How about the rest opf you who have played it?  How is it different playing certain holes today rather than say two or three years ago?  How about the rest of you?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 04:55:46 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »

I second Kalen's endorsement...after all, Tom Huckaby is a great American ;D

Tom, in what ways do you feel the changes to Pasa enhance the experience of playing the course?  How about the rest opf you who have played it?  How is it different playing certain holes today rather than say two or three years ago?  How about the rest of you?

My my, such flattery today.

But well... all these questions were answered already in threads from several months ago.  I don't have the energy to cover it again.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 02:28:53 AM »
Jay –

This thread discusses Pasa and how players who have been there recently think it plays compared to the past.  If you can contribute to the discussion, great...but I've read all your posts and you haven't said one word about the golf course, not one.  So why are you on this thread if you don't have any interest in furthering the discussion?

You started the thread with the title “Pasa Restoration Complete” with a link to Jeff Shelley’s article (I assumed you changed the title at Huckaby's suggestions).  Perhaps you intended GCAers to discuss the restored course but as Tom Huckaby, the Great American points out, he gave those opinions months ago on the thread that I linked to and did not feel like rehashing it in your thread.   

I have no intention of suppressing discussion of Pasatiempo, and as I said before, if you or anyone has something to contribute, and Jeff’s article is appropriate, then posting the link in the original thread would make it a better thread, one where posters could continue the discussion with the added information that you contributed. 

As for me, I can’t and won’t comment on the restoration until I see or play it myself.   

Why do you want to suppress my holding another discussion of Pasa or sevillano, but have no issue with others holding extra discussions on Sevillano, all the while also calling me out for offering up a new thread.  That's why I made a pint about it in my last post, Mike.  Maybe you never meant it this way, but it looks like you are saying these people get one set of rules, but these have another and that's not right.

Good question, not done intentionally or unintentionally but if I were to answer after the fact, JS’s topic was the first by anyone who actually seen or played the course and he included photos.  All the previous topics were while the course was being built and un-seen.

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back