News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rchesnut

Re: Should Mackenzie have stuck to his guns on the 16th at Cypress Point?
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 03:23:46 PM »
Not sure I agree with you, Pete...I don't see this passage as giving credit to Raynor.  And since MacKenzie wrote this passage, I don't think it's unusual that his name isn't in it.

There's a guy that has studied Pasatiempo, Cypress and Hollins for a couple decades, he does history work for Cypress now and he was Pasatiempo's historian for many years.  I sent him a note to see if he knows the answer, I'll post his response when I get it. 

rchesnut

Re: Should Mackenzie have stuck to his guns on the 16th at Cypress Point?
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
Well Pete, there's apparently no definitive answer.  According to Bob Beck, the historian who knows this stuff well, it's possible that Marion pressed her opinion on the issue with Raynor, and hit the shot with Raynor.  It's almost certain that she pushed MacKenzie to make it a par 3, and may have hit that shot with MacKenzie.  It's not likely that anything Raynor did, or that Marion did with Raynor, influenced MacKenzie.  We do know that MacKenzie had a lot of reservations about making #16 a par 3, fearing that the hole would be deemed unfair...Bob confirmed that for a year after Cypress opened, it had a Par 4 option for Hole #16 on the scorecard.  But ultimately, Marion's view on this hole prevailed...thank goodness. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back