News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Match Play and the Brackets New
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »
http://i.pgatour.com/pgatour/docs/accenture-match-play.pdf

Tiger Woods opens against J B Holmes. Is The Gallery a course better suited for Tiger or does raw length pevail here? In any event Tiger is definitely in the toughest bracket.

Interactive map of the course
http://www.gallerygolf.com/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:30:54 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bob_Huntley

Re: Match Play Brackets
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:02 PM »
http://i.pgatour.com/pgatour/docs/accenture-match-play.pdf

Tiger Woods opens against J B Holmes. Is The Gallery a course better suited for Tiger or does raw length pevail here? In any event Tiger is definitely in the toughest bracket.

I thought it interesting that there seem to be very few US players going against fellow country men.

Bob

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
Well atleast Tiger should get through to saturday before losing to Polter ;)
If this gets me into trouble, I was misquoted ;D

JohnH

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »
Tiger's going to have to work for this one.  I'm hoping for a weekend match with Rory -- me thinks the ratings would be through the roof.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
Bob,
This is the smallest US field, only 20 players. 19 Europeans, 25 internationals.

Justin_Zook

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
-Best Case Scenario-
Tiger finishes his second round match against Zach Johnson before Rory Sabbatini and Ian Poulter finish their 2nd round match.  He walks over to their match still in progress, and quietly tells them off the record,

"Quite honestly, it won't matter who wins this match; you know it and I know it.  However, in all of my grace I have decided to offer you a better ball match: You Two vs. Me (playing only one ball).  I'm trying to make this fair.  Seriously, I have the Masters coming up and I fully intend to win.  I hope I can break a few of my own records too.  Jack's are getting kind of boring and I need a bit more stimulation."

-End Result-
The match is granted by Finchem.  Tiger wins 4 and 3, he goes on to win the Grand Slam by a combined 26 shots, and Rory and Ian find themselves speaking in higher pitched voices and, strangely enough, they find it necessary to take ED medication.  Go figure. 
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Justin_Zook

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
BTW, I don't mind Ian Poulter.  He really does add value to the Tour and I think he has outstanding style.  And I really don't mind Rory that much either, however Rory is to "PR consciousness" as Rosie O'Donnell is to class.

Justin_Zook

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
But in all reality, these are my predictions and they will be very wrong more than likely, but its fun to project.

Phil Mickelson will be dispatched by Lee Westwood in the Player Backet.  Vijay Singh will make a nice run but will be beaten by Lee in the championship match of that Bracket.  Phil go to Vegas and lose big, again.

Luke Donald's game will rise to the occasion in the Snead Bracket, however Jim Furyk's game will dominate and he will become the Snead Bracket champion.  Jim feels his game is starting to really take form for this year.

Ernie Els will beat Jonathan Byrd in the first round, but Retief Goosen will miraculously come from behind and send Ernie home fairly early.  He is devastated.  Woody Austin, feeling those last bits of momentum from his gritty performance at the PGA Championship, will outlast Retief in the Hogan Bracket Championship.

Tiger Woods advances with either lopsided victories or very close victories to face K.J. Choi in the Jones Bracket championship.  Despite our romantic wishes for either a Rory or Ian showdown, these fateful matches are not to be.  Tiger goes on and beats K.J Choi to become the Jones Bracket champion.

Woody Austin does his best, but again, Tiger is too much and sends Woody home with a 3 and 2 victory. 

Jim Furyk grinds it out against Lee Westwood to face Tiger in the finale.

Tiger and Jim battle it out all day: punch and counter punch.  It all comes down to 18 where Tiger hits a high, beautiful cut into a back right pin to 5 inches.  Jim, not to be outdone takes a more conservative route and plays just left setting up a 16 foot birdie try to take it to extra holes. 

He hits it perfectly, it is breaking from left to right and appears to be heading straight for the right side up the cup.  Then it happens, his ball hits a ballmark and it sends it bumping off line.  He misses the putt on the low, right-hand side and says, "I feel in love with the line, but forgot to repair that stinkin' ball mark."

Tiger wins and takes over the lead in the incredibly important FedEx Cup points race. 

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
Random thoughts while reviewing the draw:

I know he had a very good year last year, but Steve Stricker is the #3 player in the world?  Really? 

Retief Goosen is down to #29 in the world and had an abysmal showing at Riviera.  He's way too talented for that. 

Who's Brendan Jones?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
I don't know if they have enough cameras but if they are able to cover all the matches and show some really highlights at primetime, their ratings could be really good with commercial TV having all reruns.  But if they show 5 minutes of putting followed by 3 minutes of commercials, they will help in the decline of golf.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Where's the LPGA Tour this week? 8)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

J Sadowsky

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »
This is my favorite event on tour, I just wish they played it on a better course.

Move it to June, play it at Engineers or Pine Valley :-P.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
I actually had to look up Brendan Jones earlier because I couldn't possibly think of who was listed as B. Jones, without it being a typo.

Anyway, he's an Aussie, who has spent some time on the Nationwide and PGA tour, with some success recently in Japan

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:18:41 PM »
I am just not a golf fan anymore.  I have never heard of the following players:

Toru Taniguchi
Martin Kaymer (a 6 seed, so in the top 24 in the world?)
Nick Dougherty
Anders Hansen
Richard Sterne
Richard Greene

Many of the other players I recognize the name, but would not know them if they came up and kneed me in the groin.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
This is my favorite event on tour, I just wish they played it on a better course.

Move it to June, play it at Engineers or Pine Valley :-P.

There was talk two years ago to move it to Calusa Pines in Naples and make it the start of the FL swing but alas it fell through. I think the FedEx cup had something to do with it for whatever reason. I think it would be a fun tournament to have as part of the Cup.

Also is there a way to create an online "march madness" type pool for this tournament for board members? I think that would be fun to do.

EDIT - My ELITE EIGHT:

Woods vs. Casey, Goosen vs. Weekley, Westwood vs. Pampling, Hansen vs. Harrington

FINAL FOUR:

Woods vs. Goosen, Westwood vs. Harrington

CHAMPIONSHIP

Woods vs. Harrington

CHAMP:

Woods 1 up through 20

Closest Match: Furyk vs. Harrington round 3 with Harrington 1 up through 24.

Biggest Win: Vijay over Richard Green round 2, 6 and 5

Biggest "Upset": John Senden 3 and 2 over Sergio in round 1.

Those are my picks which are sure to go wrong!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:11:48 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

David Neveux

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:04 AM »
You can set up your own league / pool on pgatour.com through the Match Play Madness link.  A potential GCA pool? that could be fun. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 02:54:01 AM »
JAL,
Martin Kaymer is a 23 yr old German. He won the European Tour Abu Dhabi tournament by four strokes in January and was second to Tiger in Dubai earlier this month.
Nick Dougherty is a Faldo protege who led the US Open at Oakmont last year after the first round and finished seventh.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:56:53 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »
League set up on PGAtour.com

League Name: GCA08
password: hammy1

This should be fun.

David Neveux

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
Paul,

Should we start a new thread regarding the pool?  I think it may get some more attention that way.  As of now I am the 3rd team signed up. 

Pete_Pittock

Re: Match Play Brackets New
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »
Link to playing conditions. http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15100&select=25067   
   This week the PGA TOUR returns to The Gallery at Dove Mountain in Tucson, Ariz., for the World Golf Championships Accenture Match Play Championship.
   GCSAA Certified Golf Course Superintendent Paul Ellwood has the golf course in great shape after a string of warm days and a little rain last week. He says that the turf will continue to improve throughout the week as 75 degree days are forecast for the week.
   Ellwood has not made any significant changes to the layout this year, but he did overseed the rough with a different seed of ryegrass which is 3-3 ½ inches high this year and he used about a third less seed rate to open up the canopy, allowing the ball to settle in deeper. Strategically, Ellwood points to holes 7 and 12, reachable par 4s that could be a boost for anyone who can eagle those.

COURSE STATISTICS Yardage Par Rating Slope
Championship 7350 72 73.9 140

COURSE CHARACTERISTICS Primary Grasses Height of Cut
Fairways 328 bermudagrass 7/16"
Greens Dominance plus bentgrass 1/8"
Rough 328 bermudagrass 3"

No one has addressed the question of Dove Mountain favoring raw length or controlled length.

Interactive map of the course http://www.gallerygolf.com/
Do #7 and #12 swing it towards JB in a 18 hole match?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:33:25 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back