News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Stalag golf
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
http://www.golfwrx.com/BagChatter/2008/01/28/stalag-golf-pow-style/

I don't even know how to embed a link on here so I hope the article above works. It came across on a USGA Museum/Library email.

If it does work, how neat is it that the USGA has a few golf balls in the USGA Museum that were made by American POWs out of their boot leather so they could play some kind of golf while POWs in WW2?

Mike_Cirba

Re: Stalag golf
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
One could reasonably assume that penal architecture was involved.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
Golfwrx?I never would have figured you a "tour issue equipment" junkie.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »

Hopefully this link above works.  The paragraphs on "Planing the New Course" are priceless if not timeless in their theme.  Who says course design by committee doesn't work?  ;) ;D

And, the true roll of their "browns" and tribute to the course's greenkeeper is also timeless. 

Shivas should take heart, there were no cheater lines on those hand made balls.  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »
Missed this a few days ago.  The green chairman for years at Crystal Downs, Bob Laubach, was one of the golfers in the camp.

Agman

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
Pat Ward-Thomas, the great British golf writer who replaced Darwin at Country Life when the great man stepped down, was an RAF pilot during WWII. When his plane was shot down, he was captured and taken to Stalag Luft III, the Nazi POW camp used as a kind of show place to parade Red Cross and other international monitors through. Anyway, he's got a wonderful chapter in his memoir, which I excerpted in "The Greatest Golf Stories Ever Told," about setting up a golf course on the site. Clubs and balls were sent from England, and the course had one of the most historically -- and cinematically -- memorable hazards anywhere. The wooden vaulting horse that stood by the sixth green was the inspiration for Billy Wilder's "Stalag 17"; it helped foster an escape any golfer would have been proud of.

js

Tom Yost

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
One could reasonably assume that penal architecture was involved.

Ugh.

You could trade a pack of smokes and get a ball from Sefton.

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
This is really, really cool. I had never heard of this before- and I had drinks in Bob Laubach's house. Prince of a guy, truly dedicated to the game and the Junior Amateur.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 05:07:08 AM »
Interesting thread. One of the best examples of Stalag golf was created by British architect Major C K Hutchison who was a prisoner of war in WW1. Text below from Tom Macwood's article on the Three Majors from Golf Architecture magazine issue 9. Also a sketch of the course.
cheers Neil

Hutchison retired from the Army just prior to the war, but luckily he was able to rejoin his Coldstream unit soon after the outbreak. This luck ran out early in 1915 when he found himself in a trench surrounded by Germans—he was interned for the duration of the war at Clausthal in Switzerland.

The playing of games was an important part of the lives of prisoners of war—football, hockey and tennis were popular diversions. In that vein, Hutchison thought a putting green might be well-received and set out to build one. His attempts to establish grass having failed, he then discovered that ordinary soil passed through a sieve and then combined with crushed granite became quite malleable when water was added, and with this material he was able to mold an artificial green.  Hutchison built six holes in all—from 60 to 15 yards in length.

The golf course was an enormous hit, Hutchison recalled a particularly memorable match, “The match being halved, the players had to go to the nineteenth hole. Now, this hole was about the most difficult on the course. The ball had to be pitched over a nasty bunker with just sufficient strength to run up on to a small plateau green, exasperatingly difficult to stay on. The player with the honour struck his ball perfectly, and lay stone dead. The match looked as good as over; but the opponent went one better, and actually holed out in one. The shout that went up could have been heard a mile away. The expression on the faces of the sentries standing near by was a study. They must have thought the mad ‘Englanders’ had reached the limit of madness that day.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back