News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: First trip to Bandon
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
Even though you give a donation to play I think it is fair to call it free.  We could not find the honor box when we played but then again it was very late and the course was closed.

I thought the Devil's piehole was very well done and had a great time being short sided by it with only a chipper putter at my disposal.  I hit a full shot into the lip which hopped up onto the green.  Well worth the donation I did not make.  My favorite green was playing the 6th in reverse.  Both bunkers are hidden and in play.  Being the only people out on the course at that time we played most if not all the holes out of sequence at our leisure.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »
Sounds like a good venue to have some laughs, make too many wagers, and maybe get a discrete start on happy hour.  I hope the Pub does off-sales, I've never asked.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
Here's a real father/son idea.

Head to the Bandon waterfront.  Look for the fish & chip places (one was a light blue building last time I was there).  Get your food, find a table, and enjoy the salt air, the sounds, and the beautiful setting.   I promise that you'll remember it fondly.

Daryl David

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
Here is a side trip that will make returning to Bandon easier to negotiate. 

Head to town and visit Bandon Glass.  Spend a few minutes with artist Dutch Shultz and watch him create some fabulous art glass.  Pick out a nice piece for mother/wife.  Dutch is very good and has a loyal following of collectors on the west coast.  The prices in his shop are typically half to a third of what you would pay for one of his creations at a gallary in LA, SFO or Hawaii. 

Sounds weird, but combined with some fish and chips, a nice side trip.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Get a massage from Jackie Day.  Best massage therapist in Bandon.

Essential Balance
Physical Address: 190 Second St,
Old Town Bandon. OR 97411
Mailing Address: PO Box 1014
Bandon, OR 97411
Hours: Tuesday thru Saturday
9:00 - 5:00.
Extended hours and on site massage available.
541-347-3103

http://www.bandon.com/webfront/directory/merchantdetails.php?merchantid=105

Tim Pitner

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
Massage?  Oh man, you've all gone soft. ;)  Bandon is about playing golf in the elements, walking until your legs ache and drinking healthy amounts of your favorite beverage.   

Eric Olsen

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
Massage?  Oh man, you've all gone soft. ;)  Bandon is about playing golf in the elements, walking until your legs ache and drinking healthy amounts of your favorite beverage.   

I do all of that, and get massage.   We did 54 per day 3 days in a row last summer, with 18 per day to start and end the trip, and I am doing 36 plus per day in March. 

Eric Olsen

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »
George,

The other thing you should think about doing is a little loop after 36 holes.  Golf is free after you play 36 holes, and if you have enough daylight, there are a number of really cool little loops that you can play at the end of the day.  Being alone on the course as the sunsets is an incredible experience, with really great light and shadows.  Highly recommended.

Depending on how much light you have left, some of the great loops are:

BD 1-3, 9
BD 10-12, 16-18
PD 1-2, 7
PD 1-7
PD1-7, Jump over and play BD 8-9
BT 1-5, 17-18

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »
I've always felt a cool 10 hole loop would be...

BD 1-6 then PD 11, 5-7

Or do the alternate PD 9:

PD 1-3, 13-18

Or a short version of that:

PD 1-2, 16-18

Eric Olsen

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Nice ones, Kalen.

How about PD 1-2, 7, BD 8-9

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
All good ones Eric.

I wonder if the resort would ever do a 36 hole shotgun start tourney for charity or something like that?

It would start at PD and would play:

PD 1-7, jump over to BD and play 8-7, then back to PD 8 -18....

It'd be an epic 8-9 hour walk and perhaps they could make an exception and allow the beverage cart out. I think it'd be good fun.

Norbert P

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
 Take the trail walk from south of the main lodge to the beach and get your feet wet in the Pacific Ocean. I don't know where y'all hail from, but I find myself compelled to jump into foreign waters.   Once on the beach you'll probably be the only ones out there in April.   Maybe find some agates or petrified wood.  If you're really adventurous you can wend your way over under the 16th green and 17th tee and find a few golf balls, but beware the gorse.  

You can drive down to the beach via Whiskey Run Road but the walk through the rare virgin dunes is a trip through Old Tom's eyes.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
George,

You can probably find ideas for loopers on another thread. This last trip we had a great late night visit around the fire pit outside McKee's with Jared "The Kiwi" from New Zealand. He was enjoying a cigar and a glass of wine with two other gentlemen. Those two left and we went over to enjoy the heat of the fire. It was Bobby, Jim, John K and myself. We had a great time talking about the courses and people. He did not carry for any of our group (Timmy got a good grade in our group). He did talk a great game and was super entertaining in his descriptions and stories. Just make sure your dad is not offended by colorful language.

The second thing I would say is play no matter what. Yes, we had good weather again in Feb, but many of my best memories are from rounds played battling the elements. If you have good rain gear and great rain gloves, you can play in almost any conditions on all three courses. There is always the spa in the main lodge to warm your bones after the round.

You'll have an awesome trip.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back