News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rchesnut

Slightly OT -- The Best "19th Holes" in Golf
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »
Golf Digest is out with their Top 50 list of the best golf watering holes in the US.  This group has probably seen a few, and studied their designs carefully.    I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones, but here are five of my favorites:

Oakmont CC
Barnbougle Dunes
Olympic CC
Pinecrest Inn Pinehurst
Pub at Bandon Dunes

Rob

James Bennett

Re: Slightly OT -- The Best "19th Holes" in Golf
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:03:49 AM »
Rob

are you there Moriarty?  Actually, I think Cary (and Bette) is there right at this moment.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:18:24 AM »
The Tap Room 

Riviera

Jimmys at Ojai

Stone Eagle

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
I'm not sure it qualifies as an official watering hole, but one of the best beers I've ever had was the Harp flowing from the kegerator in the temporary pro shop at Friars Head.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:20 AM »
I would nominate the men's locker room at Champions as one of the finest.

The outside bar on the deck at Aronimink brings back some great memories and would be on my short list.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:34:23 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »
The passenger seat on cart # 28 at Swaying Thornbush Golf Course......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

michael j fay

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »
Hard to beat sitting on the patio of the Shinnecock Hills clubhouse on a late summers afternoon.

David Whitmer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
Three of my favorites are at Desert Mountain (Cochise clubhouse), The Golf Club, and Atlanta Athletic Club. I had no desire to leave any of them (unless it was to go back out for another round!).

Jeff Tang

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
I haven't seen Golf Digest's list yet but here are couple of my favorites:

The Links at Spanish Bay at Pebble has a great sunken bar looking out over the first hole which is set against the ocean, very cool.

The upstairs bar in the clubhouse at Whistling Straits is really nice, if you're lucky enough to get the table near the window looking out over the 18th green that's a great spot.
So bad it's good!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:07:28 AM »
Milwaukee CC's locker room and bar are among the best I've been in...

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »
Western Gailes at Sunset

Philippe Binette

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
The Braid's Pub in Elie.
The Bar at Panorama Golf Club in New Hampshire

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 09:58:54 AM »
My wife and I both loved the Tap Room at Pebble Beach, though there's no view of the course or ocean. For that, you have to wander out to the lobby of the Lodge, which looks out over the 18th hole and might well have a jazz piano trio to entertain you. Heaven.

Northland Country Club in Duluth rebuilt its clubhouse last year, and now has a fantastic second-floor bar and deck overlooking the first tee and 18th green, plus Lake Superior. The only problem there is the railing on the deck, which is just about at eye-height for me when I'm sitting down. I guess their insurer insisted on making it high enough to keeps drunks from falling off.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
I'm not sure it qualifies as an official watering hole, but one of the best beers I've ever had was the Harp flowing from the kegerator in the temporary pro shop at Friars Head.

Ed,
A few of us like to refer to that as the "zero-th" hole, or the "3rd" hole if we're starting on 4
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
Inverness is near the top of my list.

Sitting on the patio having a beer overlooking the fantastic 18th hole/green (and placing side bets on players coming in and whether they hit the green in regulation, three putt, etc) is not a bad place to be. 

All part of a great experience.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
Anyone ever been to Sailfish Point in Stuart, FL? Open air, right on the beach looking out toward The Bahamas with no other structures in site to the north or south. It certainly doesn't have the traditional golf ambience that many people look for, but for the beach lovers it's tough to beat. Probably geared more toward Corona and margaritas than Guinness.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »
The men's locker room at Castle Pines.
The harp at Friar's is definitely a nice touch.
For the most stylish 19th I've ever been in though - East Hampton Golf Club. Looks like you've walked into a designer store on 5th Avenue!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
Golf Digest is out with their Top 50 list of the best golf watering holes in the US.  This group has probably seen a few, and studied their designs carefully.    I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones, but here are five of my favorites:

Oakmont CC
Barnbougle Dunes
Olympic CC
Pinecrest Inn Pinehurst
Pub at Bandon Dunes

Rob

The Patio at Aronimink is outstanding.  Great drinks, great views, great atmosphere.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »
Check out this month's Delta Sky magazine (Delta's inflight) on 5 of their favorites (near the bottom of the web page):

http://www.delta-sky.com/2008_02/pieinthesky/

wsmorrison

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »
I will second  Aronimink (especially with Dave Miller) and certainly Shinnecock Hills. 

For outdoors, it doesn't get much better than the terraces at Merion East drinking Yeungling out of the famous frozen ceramic mugs or a tall Mount Gay and tonic.  You can catch the tee shots on the first-- it is nerve-wracking for the golfers, especially on the back tee as they are only a few feet from the tables.  From the upper terrace you can also watch golfers teeing off on fourteen and the finishers on 18. 

Indian Creek has some lovely views of Miami and Biscayne Bay.  It is a wonderful spot to relax after a round of golf on a special golf course and watch the sun set.

For indoors, the pub at St. Andrews Golf Club off the 18th green at TOC is a very special place as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:10:35 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

Heard Milwaukee's is the best too. The owner of Calusa Pines toured the country for the best locker rooms and Dana Fry the designer ultimately took him here and thats what he decided he wanted at Calusa. Actually a little surprised it didn't make the list, maybe it's too new. Always good when 2/3 of the clubhouse is the locker room and bar.

Also heard Isleworth is fun to watch the pickup basketball games and Adios is nice too.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Peter Nomm

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
Three of my favorites are at Desert Mountain (Cochise clubhouse)

Good call David.......down the road at Estancia is also pretty cool.  They have about a 20-pound block of cheddar, a big knife, and a bowl of crackers sitting out for the taking. 

Ben's Porch is nice too, but the outside deck looking over the river and the cabins is pretty good.  And what an awesome selection of liquors!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »

Always good when 2/3 of the clubhouse is the locker room and bar.

Also heard Isleworth is fun to watch the pickup basketball games and Adios is nice too.

Anywhere where Brett Favre can take aim at a trophy from across the barn locker room and gun it down with one if his trademark bullet passes has to be good.

It's a great place.

Gerry B

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 12:08:15 AM »
here are some of my favorites:

seminole - locker room

indian creek - locker room

milwaukee cc - as previously mentioned - awesome

chicago gc - old school at its best - love the bbq in the fireplace

champions - locker room

shinnecock - the porch

the porch adjacent to the tillinghast lounge at scarboro -which  overlooks the 19th hole  - a par 3 where bets are settled.

the outdoor patio at Merion adjacent to # 1 tee

NGLA - Best lunch on the planet bar none

Villa d'este in Italy - 2nd best lunch on the planet

the porch / bar  at Newport - clubhouse was recently renovated - fabulous

men's  bar at Myopia - old school at its best

73rd hole at Olympia Fields - as relaxed as any club on the planet - a great place to watch nfl on sunday as they have so many tv's - and one can smoke cigars.

Locker room at Oakmont - understated and friendly - the club has the entire package top to bottom

Re:  Desert Mountain - i stayed  there last weekend - the outdoor patio adjacent to the steakhouse at Apache (if i remember correctly) was really great - nice views of the entire Valley at night.

I also like the pub at Bandon Dunes

J_ Crisham

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »
The veranda at Shoreacres after a round or certainly  Chicago Golf's bar room is hard to beat!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back