News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

St. Andrews Golf: Option #1 Old Course, Option #2 ________?
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
I'm heading to St. Andrews for the first time as a side trip while I'm in Europe at the end of February.  I will only have one full day in the city due to travel time limitations, and therefore time for only one round.  

The Old Course is obviously my first choice.  A fellow GCAer and good Samaritan has agreed to enter my name in the ballot the prior day in an attempt to secure a tee-time.  He said I have a pretty good shot of landing one, but I wanted a plan B just in case.

If you had only one round in St. Andrews, excluding the Old Course, where would you play?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

David_Tepper

Re:St. Andrews Golf: Option #1 Old Course, Option #2 ________?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
No doubt, play the New Course.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
one of two options...

if you want to play a cracking ancient links course that is in the town, then look no further than the New course...

if you want to play a cracking modern almost links course that is a study in architecture, then travel a few miles outside the town and play Kingsbarns...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:20:04 AM »
George, hopefully the one day in St Andrews isn't a Sunday.  :'(  The Old is closed.

Otherwise you shouldn't have any problem at all in late February.  Just take your warm clothes and go meet the starter!

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
I have to vote for Kingsbarns with one caveat.  Kingsbarns is a fantastic course with fantastic facilities and probably one of the better caddie programs I've seen.  There's a genuine feeling of appreciation by the staff to have people come play the course, and it is a really fun course to play too.  

That said, if this is your first introduction to "links" golf and you want the true experience of playing something decidedly Scottish, the New Course or one of the smaller courses like Crail might be a more attractive option.  Don't get me wrong, I loved playing Kingsbarns, but on our trip, we played a lot of links courses and to me, Kingsbarns had a little different feel to it than any of the other "traditional" and "old" courses.  

In my opinion, one of the most important things to remember about playing golf in Scotland is that the overall aura and experience usually trumps the quality of the course, particularly if you don't get to play over there very often.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
Kingsbarns is shut at this time of year.

I would go for the New course everytime.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »
George
Kingsbarns will be a non starter as the course is currently closed for winter maintenance and not scheduled to reopen until March 29th.

If you are intent on playing in StAndrews if TOC is not available then I would second the various nominations for the New Course.  If you're prepared to travel outside of the town then there are several choices available to you within a 30 minute radius. Carnoustie, Crail and Elie spring readily to mind as excellent examples of a real links experience.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
New Course or maybe the New Course or possibly the New Course.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
Stick to the Old even if you don't get a time.  Singles can out fairly comfortably just have a word with the Starter.  If for some freak of nature (you aren't ugly are you?) the Old just can't be had, its an easy walk up to the New to check on a game there.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
Old Course is also off mats this time of year. Bleeeuuuch!

DON'T FORGET to bring your h'cap certificate if you want to get on. (and warm clothes... ;))

New Course pretty good substitute.

Short daylight hours a problem.

What day you going to be in? Singles no problem unless at weekend.

FBD.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andy Levett

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
FWIW,the last time I played TOC was also late February, but in 2006.

That time,  after conscientously ambling through a breakfast with my wife I rushed to the tee around ten to be told to play away as soon as my credit card cleared. There were no players at the starter's box, no-one on the tee, no-one on the first hole. (I was asked for a handicap cerificate, but anecdotal evidence suggests an American accent will do).

I thought I would be all alone to play a millionaire's round on TOC, but while we were sorting the plastic another chap arrived.He was a Glaswegian with a place in town but no affinity for the various clubs in town. We banged on, but the interesting thing is he'd played TOC scores of times and opined the only poor hole is the sixth, as its a blah drive followed by a blah pitch
So, I'm sure you'll get on.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:00:26 PM by Andy Levett »

Sean Walsh

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
Although the New is a good course I'd plump for the beautiful 16 hole Eden  course.  The only greens that compare to The Old Course.  

My main criticism of the New is that the greens are a bit bland.

David Neveux

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »
Is the use of mats strictly "Teeing Ground" only?  

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:13 PM »
You won't miss out in the ballot in February.  

Philippe Binette

Re: St. Andrews Golf: Option #1 Old Course, Option #2 ________?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
The Old Course was fairly calm every saturday I was there until the first week of may...

you'll play, if it doesn't snow

Dean Stokes

Re: St. Andrews Golf: Option #1 Old Course, Option #2 ________?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
I'd go twenty minutes down the road and play Lundin Links or Levin Links. Both are Open qualifier venues. Great golf courses at probably 1/4 of the price!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back