News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Revising the Courses by Architect Section
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »
Most proposals for revisions to the website have centered on the discussion group.  Melvyn Morrow's post on a thread regarding a definitive list of courses by Tom Morris got me thinking that the Courses By Architect section could be revised in a useful manner.  I think it should represent an up-to-date account of the courses by an individual architect with links to Ran's reviews, course website and other relevant information.  This is one information dissemination concept goal that may one day be realized with the USGA's future Golf Architecture Archive and Research Center website.  

If the group thinks it is a good idea, perhaps we can go to Ran and start the revision and data link compilations.  Tom and I would gladly include a list of the golf designs and redesigns of William Flynn and help put together links for the various courses.  Of course something like this would be extremely helpful to researchers, industry insiders and most importantly, the clubs themselves.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:49:18 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Ed Oden

Re:Revising the Courses by Architect Section
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:00:16 AM »
Wayne, that is a great idea.  There was some discussion in the recent Wade Hampton thread where posters were referencing how many Fazio courses they had played.  So I thought I would try to count how many I had played.  But I could not find a list of all his designs to double check my memory.  It would be nice to have those lists as a reference on GCA.

Ed

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
TIMELINE: THE GOLF COURSES OF WILLIAM S. FLYNN

1911   Heartwellville (D, NLE)

1912   Merion GC East Course1912-1945 (C, RD, D)

1914    Merion GC West Course (C, D)

1916   Doylestown (D)  

1917   CC-Harrisburg (D), Eagles Mere CC (RD 6, D12)

1918   Pine Valley (A)

1919   Washington GCC (D)

1920   Lancaster (D), Westchester (C), Pocono Manor (RD 8, D 10)

1921   Pine Valley (C), Town and Country (AKA Woodmont)  (D-NLE), Columbia CC (RD), Inverness Club (A)

1922   Bala GC (D, RD), Glen View (RD) 109, Monroe CC (D 9) 107, North Hills CC (RD)

1923   Kittansett (D), Atlantic City (RD 27), Brinton Lake (D), Cascades (D) 119, Cherry Hills (D), Columbia (RD 2), Denver CC (RD 9), Friendship (RD 3), Yorktown CC Lake (D NLE), Yorktown CC River (D NB), Philadelphia Electric (RD9, D9), Huntingdon Valley CC (RD 1)

1924    Burning Tree (C), Eagles Mere-New Course (D), Marble Hall (D, O), Pepper Pike (D), Sewells Point (D), Gulph Mills (A), Springhaven (RD)

1925   Cleveland Heights (D), Elyria (D), Manufacturers (D), Homestead (RD 18), Ritz Carlton North (NB), Ritz Carlton South (NB), CC York (NB)

1926   Mill Road Farm (D NLE), Pine Meadow (D), Rolling Green (D), Opa Locka (D 18 NLE), Floranada South (D 18 NLE), Manor (D 27), Rock Creek Park (D), Women’s National (C)

1927   Beaver Dam (RD 18), Philadelphia Country Club (D) 132, TCC-Brookline (D 11, RD 16), The Creek (A, RD), Plymouth (PA) CC (D 9, RD 9), Women’s National (C)

1928   Lehigh (D), CC-VA James River (D), Springdale (D), Philadelphia Cricket Club (R 9), Huntingdon Valley (D 27), Sunnybrook CC (RD)

1929   Boca Raton South (D 18 NLE), Boca Raton North (D 18 NLE), Pine Valley (RD), Robert Cassatt (NV), J.F. Manne (NV)

1930   Woodcrest (D), CC-Pepper Pike (D) Indian Creek (D), George Woodward (NV)

1931   Seaview-Pines (D 9), Shinnecock Hills (D), Miami Beach Polo (NB)

1934  Wampanoag (A,RD?)

1936    Normandy Shores (D)

1937   Plymouth CC (NC) (D 9), Pocantico Hills (D), Sunnehanna (RD)

1939  Philadelphia CC (RD)

1941 Pine Valley (RD)

1944 US Naval Academy (RD, D)

1945 Indian Spring (D NLE)

Not yet verified (dates and/or attribution):

Philmont North, East Potomac, Tuxedo Club, Whitemarsh Valley

Key

C   constructed
D   designed
NB      not built
NLE   no longer exists
O   owned
RD   redesigned
A   agronomic work
NV   not verified
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:23:25 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:26:31 AM »
Wayne,

Good idea if Ran or Ben have the time or energy to put it up.  I can provide a Maxwell list as well.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »
I'm offering the Stanley Thompson's list which I posted before and the Travis Society list is outstanding - I'm sure they would share if asked.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm offering the Stanley Thompson's list which I posted before and the Travis Society list is outstanding - I'm sure they would share if asked.

Here's seconding a request for both of these lists.

As I do research, I'm continually amazed at how ubiquitous The Old Man actually was and how much golf course architectural input he offered...

like the old theme song went, "he's everywhere, he's everywhere!!"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:21:52 PM by MPCirba »

Ed Oden

Re: Revising the Courses by Architect Section
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »
Did this idea go anywhere?  I wish it would.

Ed

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »
In reviewing this I am now struck by the meager number of projects Flynn did between 1931 and 1945 ... I hope that's not what tomorrow's economy has in store for us.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
Were there a lot of course built btwn 12/7/41 and the end of WW II?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Wayne

Good to see you posting. Like the idea it has merit and will certainly help future generations in understand the great history of golf both here GB&I, and in the States. Each course should be listed with its original designer and all subsequence mods confirming what, when and by whom. This will give us a gene pool from which we can extract information. All courses should be listed even those no longer in play or closed as they were part of our earlier history and deserve noting.

I am still researching courses by Old Tom and have found some 10-12 courses not previously mentioned. But through my search I find interesting articles on clubs re the formation of the club, the original designer that was not known by certain clubs, the extension from a few holes to 9 then to full 18. It takes a few extra minutes of my time and when I get a response (which is not that often less than 50%) from some of the clubs it makes it totally worth while.

Over here most of the early clubs have lost their records when their timber club houses burnt down and are reliant on goodwill or a generous member to undertake the research work.

It needs to be done with the added benefit that history should not be hidden but available to all that are interested.

Melvyn

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »
Melvyn,

Sadly, Wayne started this thread almost a year ago. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

Mike

Thanks, I just saw January and did not click that this is 2009. It did ring a bell but then its 2.30 AM here and I think I need my bed.

Pity, it would be great to see Wayne posting again.

Melvyn

PS Its 2009, its 2009, its 2009 I must remember its 2009

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back