News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Justifying the Par 5: Top 5 reasons
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »
So what would be the top 5 reasons any golf course should have a Par 5? Or is there even a reason why....noooooo, there has to be some good reasons....

Excitement the golfer feels by having a chance, however remote, of making an eagle.....

Routing issues....the need to bridge some land with a long hole.

Pace of play....a well designed long hole gives the course somewhere to move golfers along.

Are these valid? Necessary? Is there more?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Rick Shefchik

Re:Justifying the Par 5: Top 5 reasons
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »
So cartballers don't feel quite as guilty...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

J Sadowsky

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »
Other than the short par 4, its the only type of hole that will often give you the strategic option of how to play the hole in terms of number of strokes you plan on reaching the goal given perfect execution.

And the par 5, by making you think an additional stroke ahead, has some advantages over the par 4 even considering that.

Sure, you could always label a 530 yard hole a par 4 (or hell, Kapalua's reachable 650 yard 18th?), but that's a seperate question entirely.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
Fun.  I usually look forward to par fives.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
so someone might actually have to hit a fairway wood(metal)
at least off the tee ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »
1) Tradition

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
Fun.  I usually look forward to par fives.

We can't accept this answer, as you provided no proof they are fun.... :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
So that you can have some par 3s and still have par near 72 ;).

The increased possibility of birdie...fun ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

You're killing me...Par doesn't matter, remember?..... ;D

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »

You're killing me...Par doesn't matter, remember?..... ;D

Joe:

No, you're killing me...I spend my whole life trying to shoot par and now you tell me par doesn't matter?  ;)

Bart

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »
Joe,
I think they balance the par 5's, and I don't mean to just get the par up to '72', they give a player the chance to approach the green from a distance and angle that they 'like'.
They also offer the best chance for a par, or better.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
One word Joe:

Variety.

I've played at least one course with a par 6, and that was way neat.  Build em 100 yards long or 700...its variety that is the spice of life.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
One word Joe:

Variety.

I've played at least one course with a par 6, and that was way neat.  Build em 100 yards long or 700...its variety that is the spice of life.

Very good!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
Joe,

good point...par 5's are getting a bit obsolete. A par 4 establishes strategic shot relationships in the efficient minimum of TWO shots and the third shot (actually the second of three required to reach the green) is often a waste.

Does it have to be?  What kind of interesting shot could be had that requires a certain skill, and yet is too unusual to attempt on the important shot to the green?

Would the first shot landing area on a par 5 be a good place for:
steep side hill
fw mogul lies
Need to hit roundhouse hook/slice to second landing area
pop up shot required (trees at 320 yards, like PD 12)
Low stinger below tree branches

What else?

Is it enough to test those abilities, regardless of strategic implications? (although muffing the shot would have some consequences.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
Jeff,
Do you mean something like including a 'Heroic' shot on par 5's. They are a good place for a player to accept the challenge and still come out relatively OK if he/she misses.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »
Heroic is good for the second shot, but probably falls in the reachable par 5 category. What good reachable par 5 doesn't offer some penalty that would class the shot as heroic?

I am really throwing ideas out for discussion. After all, its a discussion group! But, I think there could be something other than lay up-go for it to decide in the fw to make par 5's more worthwhile for something other than variety on the scorecard.  What about variety in shot requirements?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Richard Boult

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
I have to take issue with pace of play being stated as a benefit of a par 5.

Seems to me that we back up on the tee on every par 5 where a bunch of golfers seem to think they can reach in 2 from 250 yards out and wait for the green to clear and then succeed only in dribbling the ball a ways down the fairway.

Still, I love the risk-reward opportunity provided by the challenge of reaching a par 5 in 2. Kind of like pressing in match play. You're betting you can pull off an eagle or birdie, when a bogie or double are just as likely or more so.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
So guys like Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus can become all-time superstars.  Those are the holes they eat up.  Without the par 5's, they would not dominate so much.  

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
Joe
in terms of recreational player/players, I don't think anything separates the field (i.e. good players vs poor ones) like the Par 5, especially the long Par 5. It's a birdie chance for the good player, and a chance for a double or triple for the poor one. That's NOT a reason to have them. (I think a good player winning the hole by just one shot is enough.) So, what off sets that? To me, a chance for a different kind of beauty and elegance and vista. A Par 5 can look pretty and natural in a different way than a Par 4 or 3 can.

Peter
I just wanted to make sure you got one 'sissy' answer.  

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
Creates a golf ball sales annuity for pro shop from long, wild hitters with no course management skills (i.e. me).
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

David_Elvins

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
To test players use of fairway woods and long irons.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »
Excitement

I know as a longer hitter, lacking accuracy, I figure if I can hit the fairway I may be in a good position to get there in 2 and possibly make an eagle.  The hole is already messing with me because I'm not staying present enough.

I think Par 5's are fun, they can be great birdie opportunities and you can save some pars after some terrible shots.

I actually still look forward to the day I save par after hitting a drive OB, a bit warped I admit, but doesn't that sound like fun?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 09:39:55 PM »
I'm beginning to think I might be persuaded to believe Par 5's belong on the course.....   ;)

A few more sissy answers and masochists begging to hit it OB off the tee and I might see the purpose of the long hole....

Joe

Mike McGuire

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

one reason : Options

Par 5's give you a decision- go for the green in two or lay up - and where to lay up is another option.

Par 4's it's usually go for it.  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »

one reason : Options

Par 5's give you a decision- go for the green in two or lay up - and where to lay up is another option.

Par 4's it's usually go for it.  

But Mike.....Isn't a 5 that's reachable in two essentially the same as a short 4 that is driveable? Why should we use so much land for the same net option as the short 4?.... ;D

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back