News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

fred ruttenberg

Club Campestre,Los Cabos
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:50:58 PM »
Has anyone played this course. I am visiting Los Cabos and this course was recommended. I would appreciate any comments. Are there other must plays?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Club Campestre,Los Cabos
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
Nicklaus' Cabo del Sol Ocean Course is a must play as is the private Querencia by Fazio.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:09:10 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
Fred....it looks good from the road, but I have not played it.
It is played on paspalum [a grass I am becoming fond of], and the greens are described as sporty.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
Paul, when does your course in Los Cabos open for play?

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »
JM....give me a moment while I calculate.

Lets see....if I spend twice as much time to get half as much done.................then probably about this time next year. ;)

kurt bowman

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »
Fred,

Club Campestre San Jose is a Nicklaus Design par 71 we completed about a year ago. It is a good bargain in Cabo at $220 rack rate in season. It has no "ocean holes", but has some good views. It is planning to be private within the next 2 years as soon as the housing around it progresses. It is a little easier than most other golf courses in Cabo, as their is plenty of room off of the tees, with most of the strength coming on the greens. Let me know what you think.

CDS Ocean is great/expensive but worth it IMHO,and always in good shape. Palmilla, CDS desert,and Cabo Real are all solid layouts. Eldorado is the best golf experience in Cabo, but extremely private now. Good Luck,and have fun.

Kurt

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »
Fred....it looks good from the road, but I have not played it.
It is played on paspalum [a grass I am becoming fond of], and the greens are described as sporty.

Paul, I played on paspalum at Forrest Richardson's nice Links at Las Palomas at the top of the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California).  That's nice grass but they were having a bit of a problem -- a handful of bare turf areas -- without enough fresh water to occasionally flush it.  Doesn't seem to do well 100% irrigated with seawater.  What's your experience been?

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
Bill....we have been fortunate by having a good supply of fresh water from our own desal plant that has been supplemented at times from the neighboring city desal plant which sells its extra capacity to us when needed....eventually we will also supplement the fresh with treated effluent from the surrounding neighborhoods.

I wish Forrest was as lucky....I know they have struggled by not having a constant supply of fresh water, which really makes a difference...especially during grow in.

The paspalum is really impressive...as I have said elsewhere, it reminds me of some kind of bermuda on steroids. ;)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »
Fred,

Eldorado is the best golf experience in Cabo, but extremely private now. Good Luck,and have fun.

Kurt

Since when have you become a connoisseur of tequila, ice cream bars and a fan 1/2 mile connections? Best golf experience??? Wow.

You'll have to pardon my newly found wicked slice whilst playing hole #2... and of an obviously inferior golf experience and the fact that I feel compelled to work on it until I empty my bag. It generally takes a while before I can correct it, better keep the dogs and kids inside.

Ian Larson

Re: Club Campestre,Los Cabos
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »
Paul,

What course of yours is not opened yet?

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »
Ian....It's called the Dunes course at Diamante Cabo San Lucas, which is a new resort development on the Pacific side....just north of the old lighthouse [Faro Viejo].

Its abuts the ocean and it is a very dramatic and dynamic site playing through a large dune system.

We hope to open late this fall.

...but then again, we had hoped to open late last fall. ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
...but then again, we had hoped to open late last fall. ;D

You are not the only ones... I honestly believe this course will attract as much recognition as The Ocean Course did 14-15 years ago... NOW FINISH ALREADY!

And if Bob learns to give free tequila shots, ice cream bars and the like maybe Kurt will even call it the premier golf experience in the area... Sorry buddy, won't let that one go for a while!

JWL

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
Greg

stay on him.....and keep working on that slice.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Greg

stay on him.....and keep working on that slice.

Jim,

As one might say back home in WV...

I woulda thunk you learnt him better'en 'at

JWL

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
greg
as you know, the boy is still a work in progress.   He shows a lot of promise, but still has a way to go. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back