GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

In search of Harry Collis ...

(1/3) > >>

Paul Richards:
I have come to understand from a fellow GCAer that Harry
Collis was a well-known and highly respected superintendent
in the 'teens or 'twenties.

As he is listed in the minutes at the Beverly CC as its superintendent during the era of the renovations to the course by Donald Ross, I am looking for more information on him than that which is listed in the Architects of Golf book.

Can anyone help?

Craig Disher:
Paul,
From Manor CC's history -

"In 1927, when the Board of Governors was ready to complete the twenty-seven hole layout, they chose not to pursue Flynn's plans but instead contracted with Harry J. Collis and Associates of Chicago to complete the front nine (or "Woods nine"). Collis was originally from England, as were most of the active golf architects of the time. He worked primarily for Flossmoor Country Club near Chicago where he invented a turf cutter and patented grass seed named after that club. Despite the early work by Flynn, Collis is credited as Manor's course architect by the USGA."

Manor's 1931 annual report said that "the chairman of our Greens Committee has developed some very elaborate changes in connection with the woods nine which will add some 300 yards to its length."  By 1938, Collis' nine was gone. All we have left are two of his greens, #3, which we play as #2, and #9. The front nine greens that were built to satisfy the greens committee don't compare to them in interest or difficulty. As far as I know, no early photos of Collis' work exist. I have a 1929 housing plat which shows the routing of Collis' nine. If you're interested I'll email it to you.

Paul Richards:
HARRY COLLIS (1878-1937)
BORN: London, England.
DIED: Chicago Heights, Illinois, at age 59.

Harry Collis was a talented soccer player in London in his youth. He emigrated to America in late 1889 and became greenkeeper at Indianapolis CC. In 1906 he moved to the Chicago area to work as pro-greenkeeper for Flossmoor CC.

While at Flossmoor, Collis remodeled the course into a popular tournament site, developed a turf cutter that was eventually patented and created a strain of bent grass named after the club.

The remodeling at Flossmoor led to other course design jobs, and after World War I Collis worked steadily on a part-time basis planning courses all across the United States. On occasion he collaborated with his friend Jack Daray, professional at nearby Olympia Fields CC. Collis also operated the Flossmoor Turf Nurseries of Chicago, specializing in Flossmoor bent grass.

In 1929 Collis resigned from Flossmoor to pursue his own activities full-time. But the Depression intervened, and he was never able to develop a prosperous business. He struggled through the 1930s to maintain his turf farm and other Chicago-area properties before ultimately losing them to bankers and tax men. Flossmoor CC then rehired Collis as its greenkeeper, but he died in 1937, just after his return to the club.

Courses by Harry Collis:
Arizona: La Palma CC (1919, NLE); Phoenix CC (1919); San Marcos Hotel &C (1922).
Florida: Homosassa CC (NLE).
Illinois: Cherry Hills CC (1932), with Jack Daray; Dundee CC, with Jack Crofee; Freeport CC; Glenwoodie GC (1923), with Jack Daray; Harlem Hills CC; Indian Wood G&CC; Laramie CC (NLE); Navajo Fields CC (NLE); Normandy CC; Park Forest GC (NLE); Pistakee Hills CC; Richton Park GC.
Indiana: Casa Del Mar CC; Long-wood CC.
Iowa: Newton CC (9).
Maryland: Manor CC (1923); U.S. Naval Academy GC (9 1928).
Michigan: Chickaming GC; Walled Lake CC (NLE).
Mississippi: Rainbow Bay GC IFKA Edge-water GC](1930), with Jack Daray.

Courses remodeled or expanded by Harry Collis:
Colorado: Denver CC (R.).
Illinois: Flossmoor CC (R.); Medinah CC
(CseNo. 3,R. A.5 1932). Michigan: Meadowbrook CC (R.6 A. 12
1921), with Jack Daray. Wisconsin: Rhinelander GC (A.9).

Paul Richards:
Ron Whitten:

I think I've made a discovery here, thanks to Craig Disher, that will be an addition to your "Architects of Golf" book, if and when you and Mr. Cornish ever attempt to revise and update it!

Harry Collis was a super at Beverly CC.  Here's the list of all BCC supers:

SUPERINTENDENTS
1908-             George O’Neil, Golf Professional, who, along with Tom Bendelow, designed the original Beverly layout, also doubles as the Superintendent for his tenure.
1920-1921      Jacob Bauldorf      
1921-1922      Jack Croak
A fellow named Jack Baxter may have been here for the year of 1923, he was paid $200 per month.
1923-1925      Harry Collis
1925-1934       Mathew L. Bezek.  He was paid $150 per month in 1925.
1934-1935      Harry Hampton, Head Golf Pro/ Superintendent
1935-1947      John Darrah.  He was paid $150 per month in 1935.
1947-1958      Robert M. Williams.  Bob was paid $400 per month in 1948.
1959-1969      Ted Woerhle.  He was paid $750 per month in 1959.
1969-1981      Paul Frankowski
1981-1982      Brad Johnsen
1982-2001      Les Rutan
2001-                      Jon Sundvold

Paul Richards:
from the minutes of the Board, during the implementation of the Donald Ross plan to the original course:

JULY 29, 1924      
      -President (Charles) Walgreen brought up for discussion the recommendation of Mr. Harry Collis for certain changes in the course.  The changes contemplate lengthening of our present 6th hole, shortening of our present 12th hole, lengthening of our present 13th, and lengthening of our present 15th hole.  The discussion developed the fact that these changes could be made without interfering with play and at a comparatively small expense to the Club.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version