News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Links Magazine Article on Engineers by Anthony Pioppi
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »
The growing ever more prolific gca writer, Tony Pioppi, has published an excellent piece on Engineers, it's history and the recent work done there.  

If Tony can comment, I had thought Gil Hanse restored "2 or 20" before Tripp Davis got the site but I certainly could be mistaken, Tony can you please clarify?

Kudos to Tony for doing his homework and throwing himself into the article as I can testify to his walking the course and exploring the greens in great detail before he ever hit a full golf shot there.

I hope this link works:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/united_states/new_york/engineers_country_club_long_island_golf.aspx

John Kavanaugh

Re:Links Magazine Article on Engineers by Anthony Pioppi
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:02:55 AM »
Jason,

Congrates to you and Anthony on the publicity.  I remember discussion of the now famous picture used in the article.  Is this a picture you would have chosen and do you feel it is representitive of how the architecture of the course looks today?  Is this the type of course where memberships are open and this type of article may help sales?

Happy New Year MacWood.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:03:57 AM by John Kavanaugh »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »
Jason:

You are absolutely correct.

Anthony

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
Barney,

The other photos in the print magazine are representative of ECC but the online photo of the 7th portrays the worst and only out of character bunkering on the course.

The picture does reveal that all the trees behind the 7th green were removed and it is again a skyline approach shot from below the green level.

Since we're moving Eastward I'm no longer a member at ECC so cannot comment on the rest of your question although I'm sure you know more than you let on.

Regards,

Jason

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:08:47 PM »
Barney,

The other photos in the print magazine are representative of ECC but the online photo of the 7th portrays the worst and only out of character bunkering on the course.

The picture does reveal that all the trees behind the 7th green were removed and it is again a skyline approach shot from below the green level.

Since we're moving Eastward I'm no longer a member at ECC so cannot comment on the rest of your question although I'm sure you know more than you let on.

Regards,

Jason

Well done Tony!  A most enjoyable read.  

Jason - according to Tony, the Engineers is located on Long Island - there isn't much East left in the States.  Are you planning to move abroad?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »

Jason - according to Tony, the Engineers is located on Long Island - there isn't much East left in the States.  Are you planning to move abroad?

Ciao

I wish but with the dollar being so weak that would be financially tough!

Just moving east into Suffolk County (as opposed to western Nassau County where we currently live and where Engineers is located).  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »

I am sad to hear that.  I had looked forward to visiting and playing ECC someday.  The only thing I know about ECC is that it is one of the few courses in the country that interests me.  I do wish someone could post a picture of the 2 or 20 hole.  I have never seen a good one.

btw..I never know more than I let on so don't tell me secrets.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »

I do wish someone could post a picture of the 2 or 20 hole.  I have never seen a good one.

All you had to do was ask:

2 or 20:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:53:24 AM by JKBlasberg »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
Jk, Nice pictures-another fine example of the depth of great courses in this area.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for bringing back a really great memory!  ;D

scott_wood

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
Jason, "ditto" to Mike's comment.....you were a wonderfully enlightening and entertaining host....and remember, you're due upstate when the family situation allows....cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back