News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Philippe Binette

Routing games: now posted on inspirationgolf.com
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
Establishing a routing is the most important task a golf architect has to do. It is more than just lining up 18 holes on a piece of ground, routing determines the ambiances, sequences and vistas that are going to make the course unique. It is an art. With his routing, the architect will guide generations of golfers through a landscape, it is then a luxury.

And at this game of routing, Stanley Thompson was among the best and Golf du Château Montebello, 40 minutes east of Ottawa, Canada is a definite proof of his artistic talent.

When I stepped on the first tee at Montebello, I had no idea who designed the course but my first thought was : what the hell is this?

read the remaining of the article on inspirationgolf.com

Bill_McBride

Re:Routing games: now posted on inspirationgolf.com
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
Here's a quote that talks about Thompson's routing genius as seen on a rugged piece of land where designers today might just say "what the hell" and build a cart ball course:

"As you walk off the last green, you take a look back at the first hole and it hits you; it is that weird-looking hole that makes the other 17 holes possible and amazing. One side of Stanley Thompson’s genius is revealed. It takes a second look at the course to realize how severe and hilly this site is and how easy the walk is. I doubt a modern architect would have come close to that routing, since they would have believed that they can’t built a walkable course on that site. All that genius on a 6300 yards par 70 of pure fun and challenge for every player."

That is genius indeed, and is also demonstrated so well at Capilano, the only Thompson course I've played to date.  You plunge downhill so rapidly on the first six holes that it's hard to believe you can get back up to the clubhouse by #10 without really breaking a sweat!

Thanks for posting that article and for the link, Phillippe.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
Amen to that Bill.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

Thank you, Phillipe

Bill, I have often thought about the "uphill climb" at Capilano and why, as you say, you plunge downhill so rapidly in the first six and before you know it you are back up the hill. Part of the explanation is that the first tee from the tips is the high point on the course and there is a climb to the 18th green but otherwise, the only climb that is really noticeable is on the par 3 9th and its not that long.

The significant drops are on only two holes, 1 and 6. 2 through 5 drop overall but not that much. 7 and 8 are at the bottom of the course and are very flat. There are no significant climbs after 9. Thankfully, the members have never tinkered with the course with some small exceptions discussed a month or two ago on this board.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
Nice piece Philippe :D  Really thorough and thoughtful.  I like the pix as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »

Thank you, Phillipe

Bill, I have often thought about the "uphill climb" at Capilano and why, as you say, you plunge downhill so rapidly in the first six and before you know it you are back up the hill. Part of the explanation is that the first tee from the tips is the high point on the course and there is a climb to the 18th green but otherwise, the only climb that is really noticeable is on the par 3 9th and its not that long.

The significant drops are on only two holes, 1 and 6. 2 through 5 drop overall but not that much. 7 and 8 are at the bottom of the course and are very flat. There are no significant climbs after 9. Thankfully, the members have never tinkered with the course with some small exceptions discussed a month or two ago on this board.

Isn't #10 pretty steep up the hill, short par 5 dogleg left?  As I recall, you don't get all the way back up to the clubhouse until #13.......?  ???

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »

Bill,

10 is a short par 5 which goes down and then back up but not a lot. 11 is a par 3 not unlike one of the two on the back nine at Spyglass and then 12 is a short par four, uphill slightly and from there you do not climb again until the 18th fairway (other than the up and down over the gully in front of 13 and then up to the 14th tee and back down).

I would love to see a topicgraphical of Capilano. I have the club history at home and will try to check it out tonight to see what it says about the elevation changes.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments

Sadly, I've heard from inside the ropes that the course has lost money over the last few years and some changes might be in the way... I hope that if something happens, it would be a knowledgeable restoration.

If not, we would lose the only routing worth seeing in Quebec

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »

Bill,

10 is a short par 5 which goes down and then back up but not a lot. 11 is a par 3 not unlike one of the two on the back nine at Spyglass and then 12 is a short par four, uphill slightly and from there you do not climb again until the 18th fairway (other than the up and down over the gully in front of 13 and then up to the 14th tee and back down).

I would love to see a topicgraphical of Capilano. I have the club history at home and will try to check it out tonight to see what it says about the elevation changes.

I do recall #9 as the only real slog of that uphill climb.  I really look forward to another round at Capilano, what a bunch of really good holes!  The four or five behind the clubhouse - think it's longish par 4s 15 and 17 and par 3 16 and par 5 18th - are really good holes.  15 and 17 are lined up right on mountain peaks, another Thompson trademark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back