News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Dean Stokes

Ganton, Woodhall spa, Alwoodley, Linderick, Hollingwell. Enough said. None of them are ever going to be in the same condition as their American counterparts due to the enormously differing budgets. However from an architecture and enjoyment standpoint I would think there is every reason to visit England to see these courses over the links tracks. I haven't even mentioned the heathland courses around London.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mark Chaplin

"Rising economic power during the Golden Age fueled ambitious design efforts in the US, whereas UK was in economic decline because of WWI during the Golden Age".

Phil - I think you are referring to the Golden Age of US golf course design. By 1910 the vast majority of classic UK courses had already been designed and built.

IMO Dean Stokes sums up the question correctly, the design of many of our great courses appears to equal some of the greats across the pond but our business models and golfers preference does not require the "not a blade of grass out of place" conditioning.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back