News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Chip Gaskins

Ocean Site in BC?
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Reading Ian Andrew's site I read '"The greatest of all the Western projects will not come from Kelowna but an Ocean site - and it's not the site with Nicklaus!"

Reading a post from Tom Doak a few days ago "You will be interested to know that I'm on the verge of having such a project, of sorts -- it is a two-course project and my condition on taking the job would be that I could do ANYTHING I wanted on the second course.  Of course I won't get the first choice of ground -- I will have to reserve that for the course that intends to be profitable."

is there a connection here?

Tom_Doak

Re:Ocean Site in BC?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »
I wish.  But no, I haven't looked at anything up there.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
My guess is Ian's referencing a project Gil Hanse is starting in spring at Comox, on Vancouver Island... down the road from another job Rod Whitman and I are signed up to do (one day).

I could be wrong though.
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
Jeff:

Are those on the ocean?  I thought they were on the inland side of the island.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:03:43 AM »
Tom,

The property Rod and I are working with is about 1km inland; I'm pretty sure Gil's site has some ocean frontage though. Rod's looked at the property there. I haven't.
jeffmingay.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »

Tom, Jeff,

Gil Hanse's course (Geoff Shackleford is involved as well) is at Union Bay which is south of Comox on the east coast of Vancouver Island. I understand there are going to be several holes along the coastline. Clearing is apparently complete. I am hoping to go over there in the spring and have a look.

Bob Jenkins

henrye

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
I guess Cabot Links will be a 2009 opening? -oops, wrong ocean.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:04:24 PM by HenryE »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »
I was refering only to courses being built now.

The courses of the interior of BC all seem to have severe sites - while it will make for many great holes with wonderful views - I've found very few extreme sites lead to really great course. Somewhere the routing has to comprimise just to get around the site or worse to set up the spectacular hole. I can only hope they prove me wrong.

In comparison a site with an ocean side setting that is walkable will naturally have a better chance of becoming a better course.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:08:35 PM by Ian Andrew »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

Ian,

I would expect the Gil Hanse course and the other one mentioned by Jeff would be easy walking courses as that area is generally flat or gently rolling country. The coastline along the east side of Vancouver Island is definitely conducive to walking courses.

Otherwise there are plenty of courses built in the mountains but a lot of those are very easy walks. If you consider the three courses at Whistler, the original Palmer Course (Whistler Golf Club) is quite flat and in the valley bottom with the exception of a couple of holes on the back nine. Nicklaus North is very flat and ends up winding along the edge of Green Lake. The Chateau course (RTJII) is VERY hilly and a very difficult walk. Down the road in Pemberton, Big Sky is surrounded by huge mountains but it quite flat and an easy walk.

In Vancouver, all of the courses (save perhaps Northlands in North Vancouver ) are easy walks as well. There is a huge difference in the various areas of the province which of course, is huge.

Regarding the interior, I am not as familiar with those in the Kootenays as I am with those in the Okanagan but you are likely correct. Sagebrush is being promoted as a walking course, Kelowna Golf Club, Harvest Golf Club, those in Osoyoos and maybe more are definitly walking. It just depends on location just like anywhere else.

Finally, Capilano is definitely hilly but remarkably not a difficult walk. Thompson, as I think was pointed out by Ran in the course review, certainly designed Capilano such that the elevation changes are traversed in a gentle manner, for lack of a better term.

Regards,

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Theoretically, Sagebrush is walk-able, but I don't foresee many people walking.

Though green-tee proximity through the course is excellent considering the topography, a few walks between holes are very difficult. 8 to 9, 10 to 11, 11 to 12 and 14 to 15, for example, are very difficult to walk for most people carry a golf bag.

For the record, at holes 3, 5 and 6 the next tee is only a couple steps (literally) off the green.
jeffmingay.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »
Theoretically, Sagebrush is walk-able, but I don't foresee many people walking.

Though green-tee proximity through the course is excellent considering the topography, a few walks between holes are very difficult. 8 to 9, 10 to 11, 11 to 12 and 14 to 15, for example, are very difficult to walk for most people carry a golf bag.

For the record, at holes 3, 5 and 6 the next tee is only a couple steps (literally) off the green.

Jeff,

why are they difficult to walk? Is the length?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
Jon,

It's not the distance between holes, it's the terrain. Those difficult green-tee treks I mention above are all SIGNIFICANTLY uphill.
jeffmingay.com

Scott Webster

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
I will be moving up to this area in a few weeks to pursue a job at Storey Creek Golf Club so I look forward to how the Union Bay course as well as Raven Ridge pan out over the next while.  I'm sure the guys on GCA will keep us posted about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back