News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Pennell

Where are you playing 2008?
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »
I’ve spent a little time today thinking about where I want to play next year, something I did on here this time last year.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27185;start=0

It was only when I checked the list today that I realised how poorly I’d done, for one reason or another. Just one out of 10 intended first-time visits, and 8 out of 20 revisits. But that does leave me with some mouth-watering ones to put back on the list for 2008. Whether I’ll get round to them or not, only time will tell…

First time visits:
St. Georges Hill
Sunningdale (Old)
Burnham & Berrow
Beau Desert
Berkshire (Blue)
Huntercombe
Royal Porthcawl
Tyrells Wood
West Sussex
Littlestone

Revisits:
Swinley Forest
Rye
Sunningdale New
Berkshire (Red)
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal St Georges
Royal Ashdown Forest
Liphook
Temple
Pennard

Much of the golf I did play in 2007 was played on courses I’d only seen once or twice before, and I noticed how much difference the second, third, or fourth visit made in terms of how much I appreciated the less obvious holes as I got to know the courses a little better. I hope to keep going back to these places until they feel like part of the family.

Where are you all planning to golf this year?

Cheers
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Philip Gawith

Re:Where are you playing 2008?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
Richard  - I posted my list elsewhere when you posed the question! You are a very welcome guest at Huntercombe- I have been saying this to Tony M for ages, so lets do something about this this year! And we both want to go to St George's Hill, so maybe a joint effort will carry us both over the line!

Philip

Jed Peters

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
Just the firsts, separated by "hopefully" and "oh-gawd-I'd-crap-my-pants". Hopefullys are "somewhat" realistic.

Hopefully:

Olympic Club Lake
Ballyneal
Cherry Hills
MPCC Dunes
Eugene CC
Riviera
Lakeside
Sherwood CC
Lahontan
Rock Creek Cattle
Stone Eagle
The Quarry at La Quinta
The Preserve

Dream Golf:

Cypress Point
SFGC
LACC North
Sand Hills
The Institute
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:41:02 AM by Jed Peters »

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »
I'm taking a whirlwind trip to London, East Sussex and Kent with my twin brother David and son, David.  We arrive June 5th and leave on June 12th.  We're going to try and pack a lot of golf in (though I must show my son some of the museums and historic sites of London).

I am revisiting Swinley Forest, Royal St. Georges and Royal Cinque Ports.  I am seeing for the first time Huntercombe, Sunningdale Old and New, St. Georges Hill, Rye and possibly Littlestone.

In the US, I hope to finally get up to Boston and see Boston GC, Myopia Hunt Club and Eastward Ho! and revisit TCC and Kittansett.

Otherwise, I am completely content to enjoy Philadelphia golf, especially my two home courses.  It looks like some interesting folks will be dropping by this year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:35:31 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:34:14 PM »
A couple of mentions for Huntercombe already.  A small GCA get together, perhaps?  I know Giles Payne who was at BUDA V would be happy to be involved as a co-host with Philip.

I'm obviously looking forward to Lundin Links and Elie for BUDA VI, though Elie is a course I play every year it's still always (and I mean always) a joy.

Other repeat plays to look forward to in 2008:

Berkshire (Red and Blue)
Muirfield on a Wednesday
Kington
Crail (both courses)
Silloth (more than once, I hope)
Seaton Carew (too good and too close to miss)
Brancepeth Castle
Bamburgh Castle (always make time for dumb blondes)

New courses I intend to see and play for the first time:

Cruden Bay
The Castle Course (anyone else fancy a trip in the later part of the year?)

I'm sure there'll be others.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
If it wouldn't be too rude of me, could I ask you fellows to share why you are planning to go to certain courses in 2008? What I mean is, that if you are planning on going somewhere to see it specifically, would you say why?

as an example, I might say I am playing at Lawsonia Links this year. I would give my reason as that I want to learn more about Langford and Moreau's engineering influence on their designs, and understand how cross bunkers can affect play on a public course.

I know it will be a bit more typing than just making your list public, but I think some of us might learn if we do more than list.

Thanks in advance (unless it's too much of an imposition, of course!),

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Eric Olsen

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »
Bandon Dunes for the umpteenth time...36 plus however many more daylight allows, per day, 4 days in a row....

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
Joe,

I am very interested in the early Heathland courses around London.  Given their influence on golf course architecture, particularly on the Philadelphia School, I welcome the chance to further study the courses.  Willie Park, Jr. fascinates me, so I want to see Huntercombe and Sunningdale Old.  Colt may be my favorite architect of all, so I am happy to see more of his work at Sunningdale, Swinley Forest, St. Georges Hill and Rye.

I want to see my friend Gil Hanse's design of Boston GC, see Leed's early great American course, Myopia Hunt.  Given Fowler's influence on George Crump at Pine Valley, I'm keen to see Eastward Ho! and possibly Walton Heath or the Berkshire courses.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:07:38 PM »
hopefully Sugarloaf Mountain when it opens....if i can get down from Hotlanta!

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:20:45 PM »
Pinehurst (All)
Forest Creek
Old Works
Atlanta Athletic Club
Hasentree
Mid Ocean
The Country Club (Salt Lake City)
PGA National
PGA Golf Club
Seminole
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:23:11 PM by Johnny M »

Ken Fry

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »
The Mines near Grand Rapids.  I want to see if Joe Hancock really knows what he's doing with a back hoe.

Ken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »
I think my goal will just be to get to one course every month which I really want to see.

For January, hopefully that's Indian Creek in Miami.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
Am hoping to add the Dunes Club to our rotation for my annual trip to Myrtle.  It, and Tidewater, are the two highest regarded courses on the strand we haven't played yet.  Also hoping to repeat the 36-hole day at Caledonia and True Blue we did in 2007.  A great way to spend a day.

Will also go up north in Michigan and play True North for the first time (won a 4some in a silent auction this past fall - if it is anywhere near as good as Tullymore, I'll be thrilled with my purchase) and will return to Arcadia Bluffs for the first time since college.  

Hopefully there will be some other headliners, but nothing on the schedule yet.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »
Riviera
Ballyneal
El Niguel
Monarch Dunes
MPCC-Dunes
Spanish Bay
Redlands Mesa
Peacock Gap
Aetna Springs
Pasatiempo
Oak Quarry
Sevillano Links
Cache Creek

Stevinson Ranch (x 10)
Mountain House  (x 35)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:48:22 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »
I am going to start the year at the Rose Bowl tomorrow watching my Illini and then will tee it up at SFGC on Wednesday.  2008 will be a great year based on that start! :D

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
Don't forget your buddy! Kyle 2008 could be BIG!so many courses so little time. My 2008 list will hopefully include Pebble ,Spyglass, Pasatiempo in May. Canterbury, Sand Ridge, Scioto, and Camargo in July. Hopefully the Crump Cup in Sept to see PV and Philly courses. Assorted Chicago tracks over the season. Oh I forgot Oakland Hills In May.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
in reviewing last year's thread it looks like I didn't really set any specific goals because I didn't know where I was going to be working.  Going into 2008 I know exactly where I'm going to be so I can set some definitive goals:

Cape Cod Trip:

Wannamoisett, Eastward Ho, Oyster Harbors, Sankaty Head, Essex, maybe TCC

I want to get up to Mountain Ridge and Engineers because I've heard so many positive comments about them from people on this site.  

My number one goal for 2008 is to visit The Creek for the first time.

Other than that I'm looking forward to playing in the Section Assistants Championship at my home course, and playing in three other section events at very nice Flynn courses, Lehigh, Lancaster, and Rolling Green.  Should be a great year.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:48:01 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
My first new course this year will be Kinloch, near Lake Taupo.
This is a Nicklaus signature design and the first one in NZ.

Later in April I will play Arrowtown outside Queenstown in the South Island.

Not much organised after that.  Had a great trip to North Cal in 2007.  Hoping for a significant trip in 2009.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:37:09 PM »
We have a wonderful trip planned from Jan 25th to Feb 28th, our first trip to Australia and then a golf cruise in New Zealand, 21 rounds.

I've always wanted to do this trip but hated to go away from Florida in the winter.

I have all my tee times and courses set up, so if anyone wants to play in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Tasmania, pls drop me a note and I'll give you the details for playing or hooking up
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I'm making my inaugural trip oversees this year, and playing eight courses in Wales:

Conwy
Pennard
Southerndown
Royal Portcawl
Royal St. David's
Pyle & Kenfig
Nefyn & District
Machynys

Also, branching out a little here in NorCal, and plan to play

Pasatiempo (revisit to see the recent renovations)
Meadow Club
Contra Costa CC
SFGC
MPCC - Dunes & Shore
CPC

Other Calif. courses:

Rustic Canyon (can't wait to revisit)
Olivas Links
Soule Park
Valley Club of Montecito

Might make a trip in Sept. to Portland and Bandon (revisit), with hopes of seeing Bandon Trails, the new Bandon Crossings, Eugene CC, and Columbia-Edgewater.

And, hopefully will make it back to Phila to play Aronimink and others.

At first blush, looks to be a pretty promising year (knock on wood!).  Eitherway, I sincerely plan to meet and play with other GCAers across the globe.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »
Wayne Wiggins,

I'm glad to see someone going "off piste" for their inaugural overseas trip. I've played the 5 between Pennard and P&K, you must have had a ball of a time. Apart from RP most are pretty unknown outside of these circles.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

JSPayne

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
I see alot of us wanting to try and play alot of "big name" courses. I would like to merely suggest to you to remember your lesser-known local courses as well. There are some around this Sacramento area that, despite growing up here and playing most of my life, I have yet to even see, so I plan to make it a point to give my business to those courses that probably need it more than all the well-reputed private courses across the nation. Help keep your local golf alive!

My list (in no particular order, heavily loaded in NorCal):

For-Sures...

Diamond Oaks - I work across the street and have yet to play it, shame on me!
Nakoma - Formerly "The Dragon" under new ownership and having undergone "softening" rennovations....many complained the course was horribly unfair
Sevillano Links - will be one of the first to check off
Wente Vineyards - more than anything to visit a friend in the industry
Poppy Ridge - another that I'm ashamed I haven't played yet
Monarch Dunes- near SLO, my old college stomping grounds, looks like an insightful new design
Presidio & Crystal Springs - both excellent stewards of the environment, follow my passion
Sharon Heights CC - need to see the new regrassing of the fairways since I left
Cameron Park CC - to visit another friend in the industry

Hopefuls (in other words, ones I might need a little help getting on to)...

Del Monte CC
Pasatiempo - don't really need help, but it will assuredly be super busy this next year
Del Paso CC
Winchester CC
Valley Club

Re-visits to Old Stomping Grounds...

Plumas Lake
Southridge
Dairy Creek

BTW...if any NorCal GCAers need someone to fill up their foursome (Jed and Kyle have a few on their lists I'd love to see....MPCC, Olympic, Lahontan, Monarch, Spanish Bay), please don't hesitate to contact me. I'd love to make some new golfing buddies this year!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Richard Pennell

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
If it wouldn't be too rude of me, could I ask you fellows to share why you are planning to go to certain courses in 2008? What I mean is, that if you are planning on going somewhere to see it specifically, would you say why?

It’s certainly not rude Joe, and it has made me think a little more about exactly why I want to play these places. I don’t think anyone will learn a great deal from my reasons, but I bet some of the others will have more enlightening explanations for their choices. I tend to not make time for too much reading about courses before I play them, which probably means I don’t learn as much as I might have on the first visit, but on the other hand it does mean I make more my own judgements about a hole, or a course.

I’ve been lucky in playing quite a few of the well-known heathland courses in the south-east, but St George’s Hill, Sunningdale (Old), and perhaps Berkshire (Blue) stand out as glaring omissions. My copy of Doak’s Confidential Guide has St George’s Hill as a gourmet choice, and he calls it “the best of the bunch”, which having played Swinley Forest is good enough reason for me to want to play there, whether he’s right or wrong. I’ve loved most of what I’ve seen of Harry Colt so far, and I don’t think I’ll be let down by this one.

Having played the New Course at Sunningdale a few times, I am understandably keen to tread the Old Course. It is considered such an important club in the development of heathland golf, and I am very keen to see and play the short par 4’s in particular. If I can do this before the International Open qualifier and the Women’s Open events, so much the better as I can then watch them and see how the courses should be played ;).

I enjoyed playing the Red Course at The Berkshire in 2006, and would like to see how the Blue Course compares. I’ve seen a little of Herbert Fowler’s other work (Walton Heath Old & New, West Surrey, Royal Automobile Club) and would like to see as much more as I can this year. Hence Beau Desert. So many of the courses I’ve enjoyed have been recommended to me on here, or in literature that I’ve discovered here, that if someone feels as strongly about a place as Sean Arble seems to about Beau Desert (and Huntercombe, West Sussex, and Burnham & Berrow for that matter!) then that’s good enough for me to want to make the effort. These have all been beautifully photographed and shown on the site in last few months, too, which always whets the appetite.

The interest in Littlestone comes partly from threads about the Buda Cup event there a few years back, and partly from conversations with a member I know who has played pretty widely around the UK. Average courses do not generate such enthusiasm, however biased people are to their own tracks.

Having grown up as a junior golfer in Cardiff, I had plenty of chances to play good courses in Wales either for a few pounds in a Junior Open, or as part of the club team. The 2 gaps in that list were Pennard (which I’ve since played) and Royal Porthcawl, which has a fascinating history and good architectural pedigree.

That leaves Tyrell’s Wood, which I know very little of, apart from that its Braid and that I stumbled across it by mistake while walking the dog nearby a few years back. I met the Course Manager at The Open last year, and decided I’d have to have a look around it.

The revisits are all there for one reason: I loved them on sight, and want to get to know them better. The one which might stand out is Temple, which seems to go under the radar on here. It’s a very pretty Willie Park Jnr course, which has seen architectural and agronomic revision in the last decade or so. I hope to take a few photos next time, in the hope that others will see them and make a visit. It’s a very friendly club and a great course, I think.

Cheers

Richard
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
My 2008 trips seem like they will be based more on seeing family and friends in some cases than going to visit specific golf courses. Granted, I'll be taking my clubs on all those trips!

Jackson Hole, WY/Idaho Falls, ID
Back to South Bend, IN at least once, maybe twice.
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City

Other than that I'll do some long weekend type trips around the southwest, going back to Flagstaff, Phoenix, and maybe Denver Salt Lake City, and/or Dallas. I'm going to try to see some of the new courses in the area including Butterfield Trail, Cougar Canyon, and Rainmakers, plus hopefully some of the NM courses I haven't played already: Las Campanas, Inn of the Mountain Gods, and a few remaining in Albuquerque.

If I have any vacation left after that who knows what I'll come up with!  ;D

Joe,
Maybe we can finally do our twice considered Mines GC outing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:46:45 PM by Andy Troeger »

Tom Birkert

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »
I'm planning on re-visiting California, and playing Pebble Beach and Cypress Point again, but I want to add MPCC and also do Olympic and SFGC. If I have time on the trip I will try to play LACC or Sherwood. I'll go to Palm Springs again as I want to see what The Madison is like.

A trip to the East coast is also mooted, with the plan being to do Winged Foot, Pine Valley, NGLA, Shinnecock etc. We're just trying to confirm numbers and access.

One of my best friends is getting married at Turnberry so I'm turning that into a long weekend, going to fly to Edinburgh and play Muirfield, then drive over to Prestwick, play Turnberry and finally Royal Troon.

Should keep me busy!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:44:45 PM by Tom Birkert »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back