News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Sevillano Links
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
There was a thread about this course before it officially opened in September, but I haven't seen or heard any feedback since. Has anyone made it out there? I'm not sure if I want to torture myself from the 7823 yard tips or wait for them to open the par 90 tees...

Perhaps an early May gathering when the weather warms up and the course dries out? Any interested parties?

http://www.sevillanolinks.com/course.html
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JSPayne

Re:Sevillano Links
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:35:28 PM »
I haven't played Kyle, but this course peaks my curiousity. I plan on playing as soon as time allows. I don't have high expectations in regards to architecture, but as far as novelty goes I'm particularly curious just to see how they set the par 3s up to make them play like par 5s for the "BIG" course. Google aerial is not up to date enough (only the rough grading shown) and their course map makes no indications of the par 90 tees, as far as I can tell.

One thing I do know.....it's in the middle of freaking no where. But at least not as far out as Sand Hills. Price looks good though.....$40-65.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
#10 looks ridiculous. 4 iron to 18 fairway, wedge to green, 1 put eagle.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
#10 looks ridiculous. 4 iron to 18 fairway, wedge to green, 1 put eagle.

Yeah. They might need to add some internal boundaries for safety reasons...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Reef Wilson

Re: Sevillano Links
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
I haven't seen anyone follow up on this yet and thought I would share. My buddy and I played this on our drive back from Bandon recently. We weren't expecting much but it was a pretty good way to kill some time on the drive back.

a few thoughts:

- if the wind we experienced (NNW) was the prevailing wind then the course was poorly designed for it. we felt like we were always fighting it

- Rather narrow fairways,. Fairway grass was dormant which was a nice look, one I don't recall seeing around those parts before. I'd be curious to know what kind of grass it was and why it isn't used more around here.

- Many blind or semi blind shots and spots where you couldn't tell where you needed to play. Could have used some aiming poles.

- The course seemed to go too often across the natural rolls in the terrain rather than along or through them which contributed to the blindness. only a few holes felt like they were nicely laid out in front of you. Some of them were down right awkward. One would likely benefit much more from the 2nd and 3rd play.

- There was no evidence of the tees that would supposedly make every hole play like a par 5. So, as many here would guess, it looks like that is the gimmick it first seemed to be. There was a random bit of fairway that could be used to land your first shot for the par 3 16, but we certainly didn't see anything like this for each par 3.

- favorite holes? #3 was an interesting short par 4 but nothing left us with a feeling of greatness.

We concluded that it was a decent and affordable way to kill 4 or 5 hours when driving along that section of 5. It has good novelty value for sure. In the future we will probably just stop for an hour on the way north to hit some balls at their all grass driving range which was maybe the best part and one of the best I have been on recently.

PS Garland, #10 was indeed ridiculous to play the normal way. I wish I had thought of playing it the way you suggest, but you can't really see the 18th from the 10th tee as far as I remember

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
Kyle, I would be happy to join you in May or whenever. I have been planning to get up there, but weather and other things have kept me from getting there. The NCGA has scheduled a tourny from the all par 5 tees for 9-19-08 and I am thinking of signing up. I might be able to get us a break on the green fees through a connection.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »
The NCGA tournament in September does sound tempting, although I might try to make it out to Jersey to watch the Crump Cup.

I'll pencil it in... :)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
I'd be interested as well. How far from SF is it?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
I'd be interested as well. How far from SF is it?

Around 170 miles. 2.5 hours if traffic is ideal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back