News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Architect Roundtable: A Proposal
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »
With all of the passion and talent in this discussion group, I would like to propose a monthly Architect's Roundtable.   A few ideas:

On the last Sunday of each month, three moderators (TBD) will solicit suggestions for a discussion topic.  By the first Wednesday of each month, the moderators shall tally the suggestions and agree upon the topic for the month's Architect's Roundtable discussion.

The actual roundtable discussion will take place on the Friday of the same week. Three GCA participants will solicit and prepare a list of questions related to the topic.  These three participants shall also serve as moderators.

The round table discussion shall include architects and staff who are intimately involved in course design and construction.  

Please let me know who is interested in participating in the roundtable discussion and who is interested in moderating the topic.  I hereby nominate Mark Rowlinson, Brad Klein, and Ran Morrissett as moderators.  

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:32:44 PM by JMorgan »

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Architect Roundtable: A Proposal
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:12:10 AM »
Interesting idea... for one, this discussion group is always most interesting when people in the business of designing and building golf courses are participating without interference.

That said, I'm interested to participate in the roundtable discussion.
jeffmingay.com

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:18:02 AM »
Sounds complicated. I'l bet there's an easier way, and maybe also of making it more interactive. Mark, Ran? Waiting to hear from you.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 08:57:59 AM by Brad Klein »

Scott Weersing

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
Is there way we can do a live chat through this website?

Participants would submit questions ahead of time and then we could log in to the chat. Those who missed it live could then read the transcript.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
Scott:

Isn't that what we do most of the time on this site?  (Albeit, one subject at a time.)

I would participate in an occasional round-table discussion depending on my availability.  Having it on Sundays would limit that availability ... on weekends my participation is limited by whatever my family is up to.  But maybe that's a good thing, as you would hear more from others.

I don't know that such a formal process will yield results as interesting as the present format where occasionally we get on a roll ... but I guess it's worth a try.

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
Scott:

Isn't that what we do most of the time on this site?  (Albeit, one subject at a time.)

I would participate in an occasional round-table discussion depending on my availability.  Having it on Sundays would limit that availability ... on weekends my participation is limited by whatever my family is up to.  But maybe that's a good thing, as you would hear more from others.

I don't know that such a formal process will yield results as interesting as the present format where occasionally we get on a roll ... but I guess it's worth a try.

Tom, the topics would be floated on the board on Sunday night, the moderators would decide on topic(s) by Wednesday, and the actual discussion would occur on that Friday.  

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:11:15 AM by JMorgan »

JESII

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:18:50 AM »
JM,

Good ideas...but I think trying to limit the conversation to one day takes out much of the value of this site...these guys are all over the place and they could (if so inclined) make their contributions to a thread at any time.

Getting the caliber of moderator you are aiming for could really make it work...as evidenced by Jeff MIngay's use of the word "interference"...

Get a post up along the lines you are thinking and send an IM to each of the admitted professionals alerting them of their opportunity and I think it will sing...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
No offense to those who participate here who are not in the business, but I think limiting a discussion to those in the business could be interesting.
jeffmingay.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:22:44 AM »
No offense to those who participate here who are not in the business, but I think limiting a discussion to those in the business could be interesting.

In all seriousness, who is in the business.  I have helped design and build cart paths on four golf courses.  Do I qualify?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
Scott:

You are right. People are posting so frequently here that it seems that it is live.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:27:54 AM »
John K.,

You qualify in my opinion!

But, I guess it should be a matter of who DG participants would like to see participate in such a roundtable-type discussion here.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:29:28 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »
John K.,

You qualify in my opinion!

That is nice to say but I wouldn't think so.  If you include me than you have to include supers, raters, writers, board members and before you know it everyone is included.

JMorgan

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »
Jim, think of it as a podcast or additional feature of the board, but with all member gca's and their compadres participating at one time.

Everyone will know when the roundtable will take place, ie. on the first Friday of every month, and can tune in.

Discussion in the DG before, during, after will occur no matter what.  Certainly something like this will generate discussion, not take away from the discussion of additional architectural topics.

John, I'd limit the actual roundtable to those people who are presently involved in day-to-day golf course design and construction.   What topics follow from the roundtable discussion are anyone's venue.

JESII

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
We would need pictures of these cart paths for JakaB to get a seat at the table if you ask me...

JMorgan

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Just about anybody today can qualify as a golf course architect so you would be DOA from the beginning trying to prequalify participants.  Even JakaB has received the stamp of approval.  

Kelly, I would leave that to the judgment of the moderators.  (And since it's Ran's site, he'd probably have final say.)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 11:25:16 AM »
Again, I think it could be a simple matter of who participants (and/or moderators) in this DG want to hear from in this format. Bickering and debating aside, it's a pretty good idea if someone can figure out how to make it work best.

Sadly though, I can already see this idea falling away through the early progression of this thread.
jeffmingay.com

Randy Thompson

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 11:32:42 AM »
Nike....said it BEST....Just do it!

JESII

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:36 AM »
JM,

I think your goal could be accomplished without an adjustment to the software being used.

First of all, what constitutes a golf course architect?

Also not wanting to offend anyone, but wanting to start the trimming, I would suggest...a professional golf course architect is one who is actively pursuing opportunities as their primary source of income and has a minimum of 3 full golf courses on their resume.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »
JM,

I think your goal could be accomplished without an adjustment to the software being used.

First of all, what constitutes a golf course architect?

Also not wanting to offend anyone, but wanting to start the trimming, I would suggest...a professional golf course architect is one who is actively pursuing opportunities as their primary source of income and has a minimum of 3 full golf courses on their resume.

Wrong...You have to let Nuzzo speak.

JESII

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »
Maybe the number is one...I don't know...but you're out...you get to sit at the kiddie table...with me and Mucci...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:50:58 AM by JES II »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »
Why not start with three "undisputed" architects and just take it from there? If it goes well, the panel could continue for next month or otherwise find someone else they think to be qualified or, for that matter, interesting.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »
Anything that increases participation from industry folks is worth a try, imho. However, I do wonder about how different it would be from simply the normal discussion group.

And I'd say anyone with hands on experience should be able to contribute in his area, whether that's a super discussing grass selection or bunker maintenance, any architect discussing just about anything, or even Jax discussing building cartpaths.

More is always better, again imho. Leave it up to the readers to filter things out, don't make the moderators do so (unless people are throwing in one liners, as we are almost all wont to do on occasion - I'd ding those from these discussions).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »
JMorgan,

Here are some thoughts:

1. This is a very interesting idea - I think YOU will find you need to organize the first one yourself. I encourage you to give it a go. Don’t sweat the details beyond the subject and finding three architects. Don’t ask the moderators to get involved – they have enough to do – unless they offer.

2. So pick a subject and then ask the tree house to pose some questions – using a new thread.

3. Select three architects and ask if they are interested in answering questions on a particular subject – they should know the topic up front – they may choose to prepare depending on the subject matter. It will have to be limited to three to allow them a chance to speak and to avoid it being cumbersome.

4. Vet the questions with someone knowledgeable such as Brad who seems to have offered to help. If your uncomfortable taking the lead, collect everything and ask Brad to moderate the first one.

5. Select a date and time for the first roundtable. Make clear rules for the rest of the tree house – like no posting during the round table – it will help avoid the system from slowing down with all the people there.

6. Let the first one happen and then see if it works. If it doesn’t – so what – it was a great idea.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:22 PM »

This could be a way to get some architects who don't post here as regular contributors.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »
I think the architects might debate whether it should be a round or square table...... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back