News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

What was in Old Tom Morris' Heart?
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:00:08 AM »
Our words don't always express what we mean, or communicate what is most important to us; and while actions can speak louder than words, you can't always judge the intention that lies behind the action by the action itself. And in Old Tom Morris' case, almost exactly a century has passed since his death.

Any thoughts about what lay deep in Old Tom Morris' heart and mind when it came to golf and its fields of play?

What kind of game was golf meant to be? What was golf's true value, and true values? How could or should those values be manifest in the game's fields of play, and how could an architect achieve that? What was it about the game and its courses that fed the soul of this sensible Scot?

I know that as a golfer, greenskeeper and designer, he saw and participated in over his long life many changes to the game and its technology and its courses; but I'm more interested in your thoughts about the internal belief systems that were the engine for his external words and actions.  

I've read about OTM's gentle and humble disposition, and of how he was "always cheerful during a life which met with almost continual disappointments and sorrows," and about the outpouring of affection at his death.

What do you think this beloved old man felt/believed about golf and golf course architecture that kept it at the centre of his life for nearly all his life?

Thanks
Peter  

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:What was in Old Tom Morris' Heart?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:32:22 AM »
Peter,
He knew only one kind of golf, one that was pure.

However, Old Tom had a progressive mind too. Proof of this goes back to his original departure of his home town for Prestwick, when Alan Robertson fired him for using a guttie. (or something to that effect)

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:18 AM »
Peter,

Old Tom may have thought along the lines of golf is not a game of perfect.

On those days when it was, then the uniqueness and oddities that he found in a particular site would test the mettle of those with a game close to being controlled, for something that was unusual and uncommon would require thought and feeling, artistry as opposed to mechanics.

On the other days, when the game was a struggle and man was silly to play for a score, these same elements provided the chance for a bit of fun, to experiment, to perhaps marvel at occasionally hitting one of these unusual or different shots perfectly, thus providing reason for another trip to the links...

Alfie

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:10:59 PM »
Peter,

Glad I caught this one before it disappeared.

Stangely enough, I've been asking myself some of these questions for an article I'm writing for, wait for it...Old Tom's Great, Great, Grandson !

The biggest part of this excercise is a total guessing game although in the first instance we must remember that almost ALL of Tom's designs, modifications etc , were in the age of the gutta ball. What he would have thought of the corruption of designs going through, say, 1910 onwards, we'll never know. And that, of course, raises the question of the Haskell's introduction ? Personally, I can't see him being out of favour with the Haskell's introduction as it was sort of deja vu in relation to his own introduction to the gutta from the feathery age during the late 1840's.

I think he would have favoured many improvements in the sport (equipment and balls) that made the game easier to play for the hacker. But he never really witnessed how the scale and balance was being lost in regard to the "playing field" because of the advancements in the ball, as he died in 1908 ! Had he lived longer, I believe he would have had something to say about how much the ball should be "allowed" to advance ?

I've always held the opinion that the early architects such as Old Tom, Fernie, Park etc... carried out their work in a fairly simplistic fashion compared to the serious land restructuring that followed throught the 20th century ! However, that's not to underestimate or belittle their achievements in golf architecture. Their professional wisdom in laying out courses certainly speaks for itself - and that includes all the wee 9 holers and less common names in golf courses.

How he would have viewed the obsession with manicurism is another interesting question because he certainly appeared to do his best to manicure Prestwick and the Old Course during his time. But again, I believe there would have come a time in golf's progression where he might have been tut - tutting at the extremes of todays courses ?
When confronted by a golfer complaing about the rough on the Old Course in his later years, he replied - "Rough ? In my day...lose yer ba' ? Ye could lose yer dug in there !"

There's one thing for sure, there can hardly have been anyone who ever done so much to promote the sport from virtually elitist in the early 19th century, to that of a booming pastime by the end of his life !
Your reference to the "outpouring of affection at his death" is truly incredible and speaks for itself. He received almost the equivalent of a State Funeral in St Andrews attended en masse by representatives of clubs from all over the UK and a few overseas too.

I reckon from, say, 1870 or thereabouts, to the day of his death - Old Tom Morris of St Andrews WAS the soul of golf !

He also knew what the soul of golf actually was and what made golf such a special game, and did a marvellous job in extending that experience to all who came before him.

If Old Tom was here today, he would be aghast in wondering as to where that soul had gone ?

And you know what - their's little to show for what he done for the sport in St Andrews itself ? :(

Hope you're still there Peter ?

Alfie.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »
I think Old Tom in his time was the soul and carried the honor of the game from the perspective of the leading golf figure of his time.  He valued the 'craftsmanship' of the impliment and ball, and the care of its field of play.  I don't believe he would have liked the game to grow into the enormous commercial enterprise it is today in every aspect from marketing golf course architecture as a pursuit of ever trying to outdo the other in eyecandy and promoting real estate sales, nor the intense marketing of golf clubs on the massive scale of today.  I don't think he'd approve of the concept of CCFAD, ultra exclusive ultra-clubs like we see in the most elite environs, nor their ambiance nor costs.  I believe that as a traditional Scot he would have valued economy of design, access by a broad cross section of people, with quality of land usage sans bombastic design features.  

We look at what other's said and suggested about Old Tom as they wrote in their own books and papers, as they reverred their time with him; Ross, Tillie, MacK, and those that wrote of their knowing him.  An average fellow doesn't pass with the kind of genuine sadness and reverance that the golf world shown to Old Tom at his passing.

I particularly like to occasionally pick up and browse one of the best books I have, "The Scrapbook of Old Tom Morris"  compiled by David Joy.  It has hand written notations by O.T., entries, underlining of pertinent newspaper reports from the many events through old Tom's life, etc.  It is great insight into the man and his times, I believe.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »
sorrow.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:34:18 PM »
Really fine posts, gents - thank you. And interesting because you each seemed to approach the subject/question from a different angle. I could quote passages that I particularly liked from your posts all day long. But maybe I should just say that you paint a picture of a man who literally embodied the principles of golf and golf course architecture that later men tried to reiterate, recreate and re-establish in and with words/books.
Amazing. And it makes me wonder who had taught the teacher, i.e. from where/whom did Old Tom himself learn those principles; maybe it was from no one person, but instead from the land and the game itself.  

Peter
SPDB - it's nice to imagine that maybe his vocation helped ease the sorrow, if just a little.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:35:15 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
Getting back to Peter's brilliant question....

When I was a kid, I spent at least a month of my summer vacation visiting my cousins, aunts & uncles up in Oregon. It was a perfect ideal, existence for a boy of 8 years old on up. (Frankly speaking, the child is still with-in me! ;))

While there, as kids we would hang out down near the Tualatin River and we would pick up the most flattish stones possible and try to see how many times we could skip them off of the water, throwing them sidearm. It was a challenge, and most times I would find myself losing--rock vs. water, inevitably water won every time! But the point again was the challenge.

I think that's what Old Tom Morris would think we he would search out and find a golf hole. He designed golf holes horizontally, without benefit of knowing what a hole looked like vertically per say. He realized how the ground made balls react and what types of hills and hummocks produced the most challenging results. Old Tom utilized certain hazards too. Like craggy faces of the sides of hills that collapsed form wind and rain. He knew that these elements were the key to golf's existence--and the striving to overcome them the ultimate challenge.

That to me is Golf Architecture.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
I'm not sure exactly how Old Tom would feel about the courses.  I guess he would be like we are and like some and disliked others. There certainly was a progressive streak in him.

But I am certain he would like the golfers.  He would have a good youth program and find some chair in the grill to hold court.  i think he would be amazed to see pros respected and allowed in the clubhouse.  I think of all the ghosts in our Christmas' past that I would like to meet it is Old Tom.

I had an old pro that shared to of Old Tom's characteristics.  He was one of the two or three most important people in my youth.  He taught me about respect for the game and those who played it.  He taught me about good sportsmanship and gentlemanly behavior.  

The legacy the Old Tom left is still alive and well in the game.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JMorgan

Re:What was in Old Tom Morris' Heart? New
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
Our words don't always express what we mean, or communicate what is most important to us; and while actions can speak louder than words, you can't always judge the intention that lies behind the action by the action itself. And in Old Tom Morris' case, almost exactly a century has passed since his death.

Any thoughts about what lay deep in Old Tom Morris' heart and mind when it came to golf and its fields of play?

What kind of game was golf meant to be? What was golf's true value, and true values? How could or should those values be manifest in the game's fields of play, and how could an architect achieve that? What was it about the game and its courses that fed the soul of this sensible Scot?

I know that as a golfer, greenskeeper and designer, he saw and participated in over his long life many changes to the game and its technology and its courses; but I'm more interested in your thoughts about the internal belief systems that were the engine for his external words and actions.  

I've read about OTM's gentle and humble disposition, and of how he was "always cheerful during a life which met with almost continual disappointments and sorrows," and about the outpouring of affection at his death.

What do you think this beloved old man felt/believed about golf and golf course architecture that kept it at the centre of his life for nearly all his life?

Thanks
Peter  

Peter,

I'm sure what Young Tom became was a lot of what was in Old Tom's heart.  

I also imagine that spending a day in Old Tom's shop was quite a life's lesson and an open window into his heart, as well.

Alfie hit on it: Old Tom cared for the soul of the game, and this is why he has become so synonymous with the Spirit of St. Andrews, golf, and any attempts to define golf in land architecture.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:18:31 AM by JMorgan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back