News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re:If you could only play 200,000 sq. mi. centered at your home ...
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 09:06:32 AM »
Sean,

How un-English, of you Major and Colonel are not honorary titles but earnt through military service. Duke, Earl and  Baronet are heriditary titles. Lord and Sir (not Bt) are awarded or honarary titles.

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
The Links of Uranus is not on my short list......

The Links of Uranus has only one hazard -- but oh, my, what a hazard!

Talk about your penal designs!

Dan

Didn't you get the memo?  After the latest issue of Golfweek hit the mail that couse was closed for environmental issues! The owner refuses the colonoscopy needed to make the site habitable for golf.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
Giving me 500 miles living in Westchester County any one of you can pick for me and the golf would be superb for life. Heck just give me one architect and it can be any dead guy of your choice. Read the courses of the MGA and be amazed at the depth from about every old guy EXCEPT Ross within this one local golf association.

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
Giving me 500 miles living in Westchester County any one of you can pick for me and the golf would be superb for life. Heck just give me one architect and it can be any dead guy of your choice. Read the courses of the MGA and be amazed at the depth from about every old guy EXCEPT Ross within this one local golf association.

I thought all the Dr'.s stuck together! ;) There's no AM there! ;D In all seriousness, that area would be awful tough to beat.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »
Living half way up the UK I reckon this gives me every course in the UK and probably some in Ireland and Holland.  Same answer as on the other thread, therefore.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »

OK, limit yourself to Westchester County. Any local heros there?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JohnV

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 12:39:41 PM »
500 miles for us on the coast is way to easy.  Living in Pacific Grove, I can get beyond Bandon and Bend/Redmond in Oregon and south of San Diego.   To the east I can get beyond Las Vegas and almost all the way to Phoenix.

Therefore I pick:

Modern:
Kidd
Doak
Coore / Crenshaw

ODG:
Mackenzie
Thomas

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
".....amazed at the depth from about every old guy EXCEPT Ross...."

Geoff,
Westchester to Boston is only 200 mis.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
If you base yourself somewhere like Latrobe (or maybe Altoona, I haven't checked a map), you could get Pittsburgh, Philly and maybe even Columbus in there.

You then pick Flynn Fownes and Crump, and Gil and KBM, and you're a happy man.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »
Garland,

Your 250 Mile Radius and 500 mile if you live by the ocean is unfair!!!   ;)

Area of Circle = PieXRadius(squared)

Scenario 1:

Area = 3.14 X 250(2) = 196,250 sq miles..pretty close

Scenario 2:

Area = 3.14 x 500(2), then divide the result by 2 because presumably half of your area is water.

Area still = 392,500 sq miles...after dividing by two

So living next to an ocean gives you exactly twice the sqaure area to pick from...  ;) ;D

Important math tip to remeber when doing exercises like this or buying pizza, increasing the radius by only 2x increases your area by 4x.   8)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 10:44:57 AM »
If these were the rules...I would move.

There isn't enough that excites me around Houston.

Ah, but you forget the 250 mile rule, Kyle. Colonial and Brook Hollow fall within this area. And since Houston lies so close to the Gulf, I believe you qualify for the 500 mile rule. This would bring Tulsa just under the 500 miles and then Southern Hills would qualify. Oak Tree would also qualify. Hey, it's a start. I forsee Maxwell as a leading arch! ;)

I must apologize for Kyle, I am still teaching him the nuances of Texas golf. Colonial and Brook Hollow both sneak in the 250 mile radius. I went to college in Oklahoma and once made the Houston to Edmond drive, I recall it being something like 489 miles. Sadly I think that Southern Hills is out. Of course that's okay because other Oklahoma gems like Dornick and Twin Hills make it in the radius.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »
Thanks Kalen,

Boy that was a real rookie mistake, oooorrrr perhaps an old fart mistake.

Those living on coasts are going to have to limit themselves to approximately a 350 mile radius.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:31:04 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »
Living in Yorkshire with a 250 mile radius to choose from probably gets me most of England (except the SW corner) and enough of Scotland to get me almost to Aberdeen (as the crows flys).  I'll therefore stick with what I said before:
MacKenzie
Colt
Braid
Park
Auld Tom Morris
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back